Calories burned wrong — TomTom Community

Calories burned wrong

MeewashMeewash Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
I just finished 23km easy walk in Prague.
Runner 2 says over 5000kcal burned, what is wrong with the device? It is impossible

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,618
    Superusers
    What mode did you use for it? Calories burned will depend on the activity mode used. In running, cycling and swimming modes the watch is not using your HR to calculate caloric burn; it is using MET tables, which are tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They did it this way to enable users who are not using a HR monitor to get a caloric estimate (otherwise they would get a zero reading). I find the accuracy of calories in this mode is fine for me (not nearly as good as an HR based calculation but generally in the ballpark) but it all depends where you fall in the averages used to create the MET values, there will always be outliers for whom they are not as accurate.

In gym and freestyle mode, it is using your HR to calculate calories applying a standard HR based calculation considering weight, age and gender. How accurate the calories are depends on how accurate the HR readings are, and how well the watch is collecting them. If you want to check it, you can take you average HR and put it in an online calculator or Excel spreadsheet to calculate an accurate calorie count. In my experience the watch calories match up almost exactly to any site using an HR based calorie calculation.
  • MeewashMeewash Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for the reply.
    I am using freestyle walk for all my holidays walks. HR is on 24/7. My runner model is HR GPS MUSIC. Is that enough to get close to real reading?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,618
    Superusers
    In freestyle mode it is using your HR to calculate calories. Do you have all of your personal settings right (gender, height, weight, etc.)? If they are off the calories will be off. What was the average HR? Was it accurate?
  • MeewashMeewash Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    All details are correct, average HR looks fine along. In was checking with my smartphone and both reading are very close. I have no idea why kcal result is that much wrong.
    Samsung Health says 2735 kcal for the same distance.