Routing issue on the device tomtom — TomTom Community

Routing issue on the device tomtom

I set my device for quickest route but I am given the shortest route, what is going wrong?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,423
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Aitch1945

And your Tomtom device is ???

ATB YFM
  • Aitch1945Aitch1945 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi YamFanMan
    Thanks for your interest. my device is a Go 5100. I hope you can assist.
    Aitch 1945
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,423
    Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Aitch1945

Check....
    The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = Don't ask me... Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Always ask me... Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = Don't Ask me at all... Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    2xefqogbgcgx.jpg
    The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After Planning and Calculating the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan
    Before this year 95% of my driving I needed the shortest route, but now 95% of the time I want the fastest route and I have already set it up as you have instructed but I am being given the shortest and it shows when in rural locations and the roads get very narrow. while M and A roads have very little traffic Thanks for your help, if you have any further ideas, like getting in touch with TOMTOM let me know. Aitch1945.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,937
    Superuser
    Hi @Aitch1945

I wonder if doing a factory reset on the device will sort it out for you .

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

Now this will delete all you data ie favourites (My Places),and any POI and Route files you have added. If you log into your account on the My Drive webpage you can check if all the data is saved there so it will be synced back to your device once you do the reset. Any routes created and saved on the GO5100 will be lost unless you have exported them to your PC.

This reset will put it back to when you got it out of the box except the maps and the current version of the software on the unit will remain. You will have set the unit up again ie input Language, Account details etc and any menu icons you moved around will have to be done again.

Hope that will sort it for you.

Doug
    Thanks Doug, I think that I will have to do a factory reset and lose all of my favorite places. Perhaps I have too many and that will help, Aitch1945
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,937
    Superuser
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Aitch1945

If you have lots of favourites they will probably all be backed up in your account so will all be restored back to your unit when it connects to you account either when you are using it when connected to the PC.

Doug