UK Postcode accuracy — TomTom Community

UK Postcode accuracy

AinsAins Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
I've had several instances recently with the new app where using the postcode for a destination has left me a considerable distance away when the app reports me as having arrived (once almost a mile away).

The postcodes were correct and I was using the full code. Anyone one else seen this behaviour or have a clue as to why this might be happening? I've tried entering postcodes with and without a gap in the middle but this made no difference.

Answers

• AinsAins Posts: 26 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    edited July 8
    Thanks Doug. That works well, but of course, it introduces at least two more steps to getting the right info into TT and you can't search Mapcodes with looser terms e.g. the name of a pub so you must know the address you're looking for.

What I don't understand is that this appears to be a problem with the new app - I have always used postcodes to get to destinations in the previous version and in the old app before that and neither have ever produced this problem. Has TT changed the back end on this, perhaps?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,940 Superuser
    Hi @Ains

Could you give some examples that we can have a look at.

Regarding finding Pubs for example.

Tap Search
    Tap Points of interest
    Tap Whole Map
    Tap Near Me or Town / City
    If the latter input the Town and select
    Type Pub
    Select Cafe/Pub and it lists the Local public houses either near you or in the Town.

Doug
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant you can't search in the Mapcodes app by a point of interest so I have to find the address in Google then search for that in Mapcodes, then add the code to TT
    edited July 9
    HI @Ains

Thats fine. Put the Postcode in the Mapcode App and using Hybrid map move the cursor around to the exact spot you want. This is particularly helpful in rural areas where postcodes can be well away from the exact spot you are seeking.

There is a campsite we go to which does not have a sign at the farm entrance and the postcode picks a point about 1/4- 1/2 mile away. You can see the campsite on the hybrid map in Mapcode app and centre the map on the entrance which is within the farm complex. Then when transferred to the App or the MyDriveapp for use with a PDN, you can create a route to the Campsites actual entrance.

Doug.
    Been looking at this more over the last week and the problem is that when you use a Postcode for a destination the search gives you a road but it clearly directs you to the very beginning of that road i.e. the edge of that postcode.

Not a problem if the postcode is a short road but if its a one-mile-long road it leaves you you potentially one mile from your actual destination.

The previous version of the app (i.e.1.9x, I don't mean the "old" app) did not do this - the postcode search was excellent

Where do I report this is as a fault, please? If this is a "feature" it really will be the end of the line with the TT app as I use postcode search ALL the time and it's always been extremely accurate.
    Hi @Ains

If you put the Post Code then the number of the house i after it in search ie S63 7QB 67 it seems to direct you to where no 67 is with that postcode in the High Street.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,974 Superusers
    edited July 23
    Hi
    @Ains

Just about to Post the same...
    there are 36 Houses for my Postcode
    You can put a 'House number' 'Space' 'Postcode or 'Postcode' 'Space' 'House number'
    If I put 'Postcode + 1 it reports 200 yards (End of Road)
    If I put 'Postcode + (My House number) it reports 20 yards

Google maps... My 'Postcode' (Won't accept a House number) places the marker 5 houses (48 yards) away from my house

Google Earth... My 'Postcode' (Won't accept a House number) places the marker 5 houses (48 yards) away from my house

We Went to Essington Farm WV112AZ today....
    Google earth puts the Farm in the middle of a Lake :o
    When in reality its 800 yards away as the crow flies

Click on images to enlarge....
    17jwcvcma4rj.jpg

Found this using Street View....
    Doh !!! looks like plenty of SatNav's get 'WV112AZ' Essington Farm wrong :)
    Desperate times call for desperate measures
    p5m7u911wag6.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    I agree with @DougLap about using MapCode. Unfortunately, very few people are aware of MapCode and what3words will be (if not already) the first choice for most people for giving an accurate location. what3words coordinates are already being used by the UK's emergency services i.e. police, fire, and ambulance services.

Saying that the iOS MapCode app is very useful for finding the postcode and then in "hybrid" mode using satellite images you can find the right location. Whilst you can "tap to copy" the map code coordinates, would it not be much better to just hit a button to send them straight to the GO iOS app?

Unfortunately, we need TomTom to add URL Scheme to GO iOS which for some reason they adamantly refuse to do so despite being asked for this function since 2016.

Regards,
    edited July 23
    Hi

Mapcodes only work on Tomtom Satnavs including the OIS Navigation App but unfortunately not in My Drive.

If I input in Search on a PND or the IOS navigation App the mapcode, found on the Mapcode App using the Hybrid Map in it, ESP PCT.NY2, include the gap and the full stop, then if I accept the search result it will calculate the route to the In/Out barriers of a Campsite in Moncofa Spain. This system works worldwide and is very useful for finding precise places you want to be directed too. Even the pitch I was on at the campsite has its own Mapcode.

When you find a point on the Map you are given an addresss, the Long/Lat co-ordinates and a Mapcode for that point. You can cut and Paste the Long/Lat from the Mapcode App to the My Drive app and then send the route to your PDN. In the case of the Go navigation App you can cut and Paste the Mapcode or the Long/Lat straight into the App

By the way the What3words you would have to put in for the same result is Repelled.Professions.Astounding for the same place.

Definitely worth a look.

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 150 [Revered Navigator]
    We used to be able to use Mapcodes on MyDrive (web) but after an update back in July 2017 for search improvements ;) this facility was no longer available which is a pity as it was a facility I used as we often drive to rural destinations at night where it can become an issue to locate our final destination based on post codes which may take you up to 1/2 mile away................. :/

I know we can still input map codes on the PND itself, however being a bit lazy (and easier to use a PC keyboard too) I prefer to use MyDrive first and then send the location to the device, so that when we get into the car we are then ready to go........... =)

A TT moderator (now retired @MikkkoK) said back in July 2017:

"Hi Bobby,

I got a confirmation that this indeed has to do with the recent release. The team is aware of this and will address the matter in a later release. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact release date.

Cheers, Mikko"

Still waiting 2 years later !!! :persevere:
    Based in UK - Tomtom Go 6200 (random ALG displayed )
    As Jack Nicholson would say: Is this as good as it gets??
    edited August 1
    I've confirmed over the last few days that using a full UK Postcode as a destination will only take you to the start of the road that the entered postcode is on.

E.g. today I entered PR5 0JE. The only destination options TT gave me were Hoghton Lane or A675 and TT told me I was at my destination roughly 1 mile BEFORE that actual postcode. Google maps app and Google maps on a PC shows that postcode at the actual destination - almost a mile from the TT stopping point.

I've seen this behaviour several times with postcodes in TT recently and, of course, it leaves you potentially a long way from where you need to be and makes navigating by postcode very tricky.

This is definitely new behaviour in the recent app update. Previously using a postcode as a destination always took you to the exact spot, not just the rough area.

Surely this is a fault, given the previous behaviour of the app?
    Hi @Ains

If you know the house number add that to the end of the Postcode in search with a gap between. Should take you to the house.

Doug
    Hi
    @Ains

My GO 6200 showing PR50JE Postcode... On Hoghton lane... Roughly positioned midway between Methuen drive & Bells lane

nonjc8xi5shn.jpg

Google Maps puts PR50JE Postcode to the left of Methuen drive
    4d7xxm2t5tir.jpg

Google Earth measures the Google/Tomtom error to be 65 Yards ???
    Near enough for me...

rikjaeo72ro9.jpg
    ATB YFM

@Ains

My GO 6200 showing PR50JE Postcode... On Hoghton lane... Roughly positioned midway between Methuen drive & Bells lane

nonjc8xi5shn.jpg

Google Maps puts PR50JE Postcode to the left of Methuen drive
    4d7xxm2t5tir.jpg

Google Earth measures the Google/Tomtom error to be 65 Yards ???
    Near enough for me...

rikjaeo72ro9.jpg
    ATB YFM

That's accurate but that's on a standalone TT. It's the GO app where this is a problem.
    Hi @Ains

Just had a look at what you are suggesting. I am tagging this for @lampard to look at on Monday.

There is one thing you have not mentioned that I have noticed.

When you put the Postcode PR50JE in as you say it offers 2 options for you to select. It does not matter which one you select you get the same result. I don’t know if you have noticed but if when you select either of the options and then you select Show on Map the destination is exactly the same as Google Earth as indicated by @yamfazman.

What is very odd is that if you then select drive the directions are not taking you to the same spot identified when you Selected Show on the Map. I don’t think I have every seen that happen before. Hence I have flagged it to Lampard.

Have you any other examples that could be passed to Lampard if he would like them

Doug
    Hi Doug

I get the same results as @DougLap ....
    The App offers 2 locations both locations show the same location on the Map

The location is the same as shown on Google Maps in my earlier post

Google Maps puts PR50JE Postcode to the left of Methuen Drive
    i2b12yz2qizo.jpg

Apple iPhone 5s Running the Tomtom App... puts PR50JE Postcode to the left of Methuen Drive
    n8ptbvxpbeoz.jpg
    ATB YFM

Just had a look at what you are suggesting. I am tagging this for @lampard to look at on Monday.

There is one thing you have not mentioned that I have noticed.

When you put the Postcode PR50JE in as you say it offers 2 options for you to select. It does not matter which one you select you get the same result. I don’t know if you have noticed but if when you select either of the options and then you select Show on Map the destination is exactly the same as Google Earth as indicated by @yamfazman.

What is very odd is that if you then select drive the directions are not taking you to the same spot identified when you Selected Show on the Map. I don’t think I have every seen that happen before. Hence I have flagged it to Lampard.

Have you any other examples that could be passed to Lampard if he would like them

Doug

Thanks DougLap. What you describe is exactly what happens and it doesn't appear to be isolated to certain examples, it happens every time and the accuracy of the actual place it then tells me is "destination reached" is only dependent on how far away the road starts that it flags as that postcode.

Another example would be L14 5NG. this brings up two choices for the destination but the "arrived" point is almost a mile from the actual address I'm trying to get to. I've been to this address twice recently and the same behaviour happened each time
    edited August 3
    Hi
    @Ains @DougLap
    Well spotted, the Postcode seems 'OK'
    It looks like a planning error on the Phone Apps
    The SatNav devices seem OK...

Maybe useful... For a Workaround try....
    (1)...Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search
    (2)... Enter Postcode... PR50JE
    (3)... Tap on the offered address
    (4)... Tap Show on Map
    (5) ... See Screen grab....

z6nl6gop5fkq.jpg

The quick Menu Updates/Flashes
    Tap ( Drive )... Route plans to the correct location....

1a7ymg8wccak.jpg
    ATB YFM

@Ains

Here's L145NG... Using the above workaround....
    Destination >> Opposite... Alder Hey Children's Hospital

e70qmphsr24c.png
    ATB YFM

@Ains

Here's L145NG... Using the above workaround....
    Opposite... Alder Hey Children's Hospital

e70qmphsr24c.png
    ATB YFM

Thanks I'll try that while DougLap flags the problem. I seem to remember many moons ago that there was a similar issue where you couldnt search to the exact postcode, just the first 3/4 of it. Might have been another Sat Nav app to be fair :)
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,103 TomTom Moderator
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed feedback's and @Ains for reporting this! I'll forward this to the product team for further investigation. In a meanwhile, can you all please share the postcodes which has the same behaviors as described above with GO Navigation App? This will help us to narrow down and quantify the issue.

Regards, lampard
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

lampard wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed feedback's and @Ains for reporting this! I'll forward this to the product team for further investigation. In a meanwhile, can you all please share the postcodes which has the same behaviors as described above with GO Navigation App? This will help us to narrow down and quantify the issue.

Regards, lampard

Two more just this morning:

BL3 4XB - google maps take you exactly to this site which is a small parade of shops and a pub. TT appears to show the correct location on its map but when you then press "Drive" it stops at the beginning of Armadale Road which is a LONG way from the actual Postcode

SK10 3LG - again, TT shows the correct location if you click "show on Map" when choosing the destination, but it actually took me to the village of Prestbury this morning - some 10 minutes form the actual destination

Thanks
    I've stopped sending these by the way - not because there aren't any more but because it happens pretty much every time so there's clearly a generic issue.
    This has gone very quiet. Does anyone know if its being looked at? it's clearly a fault and wasn't an issue on earlier versions.