update issues — TomTom Community

update issues

Hello

I got a 6100 model with lifetime map updates from around the world. Today I wanted to update my EU map and ran into problems. (I round up all sizes to the nearest GB or MB for easy reading, doesn't affect the problem)

- The map on my system is currently 6.1GB
- The updated same map is 6.7G

My free space on the system is 340MB, there is nothing installed on the system except the OS, the 6.1GB EU map and "Life time Camera Updates" which has a size of 5MB (so neglectible).

The map of 6.1GB is the "EU+Benelux Buildings" map. Now it proposes me to download a map without 3D buildings, this is absolutely fine, I don't want them anyway... however... and this is really weird... the EU map without buildings is 7.6GB. This is whole gigabyte larger than the same map with 3D benelux. Naturally this doesn't fit either.

I don't need the entire EU.. but I can't manually select countries, seems the 6100 only comes with "every EU country or bust" mode. I don't even have Western Europe (which would have been fine as well)...

I do not want to use a SDCard as my dad, who also owns a 6100 tried this and it ran a lot slower than from the system (and the OS is already slow at times on the 6100 in the user interface).

So what can I do?

- Why is the EU map suddenly larger than the capacity of their device. Not like this is a really old gps either.. as far as I know only the 6200 and the X are newer (and the X is sort of a 6200 anyway).

- Why is the EU map without buildings bigger than the EU map with buildings (in 3 countries)?

- Why can't I just install Western Europe instead of being forced to install EU entirely?

Anything I can do short of throwing my Tomtom out of the window and using my smartphone to navigate?

Thank you

Answers

• moleratmolerat Posts: 40 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited July 2019
    You only have rights to use the maps that came with the device or you have purchased. Either buy a card or buy the map you want, the card will be a lot cheaper, your choice. I have not noticed any difference between using the map on card or on device.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,822
    Superuser
    Further to @molerat 's comments I also have notice no difference in performance of my unit with the map on the internal or extra memory. The one thing that can effect it is the card that was used. as some are slower cards than others.

Regarding the increase in size of the maps this is for two reasons. Firstly is the addition off new infrastructure as new buildings and roads are added or changed Secondly if you look at the details of the map you have some of the countries have not got full infrastructure and in the past have only had the major through routes detailed. There are still about 6 countries that are not fully covered and gradually Tomtom are adding the missing data. This will benefit those that live in those countries as well as visitors. It is for these reasons the size has gone from about 6 gb to now as much as 9.3gb.

Doug
  • PlanetdunePlanetdune Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    molerat wrote: »
    You only have rights to use the maps that came with the device or you have purchased. Either buy a card or buy the map you want, the card will be a lot cheaper, your choice. I have not noticed any difference between using the map on card or on device.

And why would they give you a "full eu" map and not a "western eu" map ? Isn't the West-EU map exactly the same as the full EU but well, less ? Again, this is what drives people to not bother with these things and just use some smartphone app (free or otherwise)... I was promised "worldwide maps" when I purchased the 6100... I should be able to select/deselect each country individually I want or not want on my system.. heck Im already content with just west-eu as that should fit my system... but this seems to be "a big deal" for who knows what reason..
    Superuser
    Hi @Planetdune

The solution is in your hands.

If you are able to go into Add a Map and can select say Venezuela which is only 29mb. then if that will fit on your Internal memory with the current map then it will load there. Then having loaded that then you can delete the Full European map and load what ever maps you want that fit on your internal memory..Bear in mind that the unit will not work out routes between maps only on the map you have selected.

Personally I would get a good memory card for a few euros and then know I can do any route I may need within the European map.

Doug
  • PlanetdunePlanetdune Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Planetdune

The solution is in your hands.

If you are able to go into Add a Map and can select say Venezuela which is only 29mb. then if that will fit on your Internal memory with the current map then it will load there. Then having loaded that then you can delete the Full European map and load what ever maps you want that fit on your internal memory..Bear in mind that the unit will not work out routes between maps only on the map you have selected.

Personally I would get a good memory card for a few euros and then know I can do any route I may need within the European map.

Doug

I tried your solution and now I have a map of Venezuela which is useless naturally and I still cannot install the EU map... so instead of an outdated EU map, I got no EU map... which is even worse... well nice work.. I know you tried to help but whatever it was you wanted to do did not work and made the situation worse... my GPS is officially a brick now...
    Superuser
    Hi @Planetdune

The Venezuela map is not useless as it will be of benefit to you to have it lying there on your internal memory in the event of problems in the future. Because it is there, like it is on mine, you will be able to start your unit and sort out problems that would be more difficult if you get into the no maps situation. If you only have one map on the unit and there is a problem during an update that results in the map being lost then the unit will not start.

I told you that if you loaded that it would enable you to delete the European map and download others that are available to your in the world maps list. I would have expected you to look to see what maps would be available . I also told you as a warning that if you downloaded individual maps that the unit will not route across maps so you could check if there was a map or maps that would suit your purpose..

The unit is not bricked as if you do as I said I would and add the memory card then you will be able to download the European map and any others that you have space for on the internal and extra memory..

Whilst you say that the Western Europe map would suit you that is not necessary the case for those on the Eastern edge of it who would then need to have 2 maps which as I say would not route across. By offering the full European map it suit most customers when they buy the units whatever make you buy.

Doug