I got a 6100 model with lifetime map updates from around the world. Today I wanted to update my EU map and ran into problems. (I round up all sizes to the nearest GB or MB for easy reading, doesn't affect the problem)
- The map on my system is currently 6.1GB
- The updated same map is 6.7G
My free space on the system is 340MB, there is nothing installed on the system except the OS, the 6.1GB EU map and "Life time Camera Updates" which has a size of 5MB (so neglectible).
The map of 6.1GB is the "EU+Benelux Buildings" map. Now it proposes me to download a map without 3D buildings, this is absolutely fine, I don't want them anyway... however... and this is really weird... the EU map without buildings is 7.6GB. This is whole gigabyte larger than the same map with 3D benelux. Naturally this doesn't fit either.
I don't need the entire EU.. but I can't manually select countries, seems the 6100 only comes with "every EU country or bust" mode. I don't even have Western Europe (which would have been fine as well)...
I do not want to use a SDCard as my dad, who also owns a 6100 tried this and it ran a lot slower than from the system (and the OS is already slow at times on the 6100 in the user interface).
So what can I do?
- Why is the EU map suddenly larger than the capacity of their device. Not like this is a really old gps either.. as far as I know only the 6200 and the X are newer (and the X is sort of a 6200 anyway).
- Why is the EU map without buildings bigger than the EU map with buildings (in 3 countries)?
- Why can't I just install Western Europe instead of being forced to install EU entirely?
Anything I can do short of throwing my Tomtom out of the window and using my smartphone to navigate?