TomTom 550 Instruction Bar Information — TomTom Community

TomTom 550 Instruction Bar Information

VFR700F2VFR700F2 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
edited July 5 in RIDER
I had the Rider 2013 and the next instruction showed the route name for the next turn. I now have a Rider 550 and it does not show the next route till 2 miles or less before the instruction. Can it be made to show as soon as the instruction is shown. I know I have to learn the 550 but so far after having it for 3 months I am sort of wishing I had kept the 2013.

Comments

• MarcoBZMarcoBZ Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited July 11
    I agree with you, I got the V5 and bitterly regretted changing it for 550 :'(
  • VFR700F2VFR700F2 Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    edited July 14
    I see TomTom monitors this board not so well or they have no clue either.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    @VFR700F2

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Guidance View... Check if....
    'Show current street name' is set to ON

Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Voices... Check if....
    'Read aloud early instruction's is set to ON

Also With a Route planned and a GPS Satellite lock...
    Tap the Top Info Bar for the 'List View'
    Tap the 'Back button' to return to the Map view (Back button is screen top left)
    Also, the 'List View' is semi-live... When you are driving/riding, if you tap the top info bar....
    Your present location is at the top of the list
    The 2nd item on the list is your next Instruction and the route/road name

This can also be useful in Town/City When entering the next road, you can alternately tap the 'Top Info Bar' and the (Back button screen top left) to dip in and out of the list

It's not very useful halfway down a long Motorway, but if you dip in and out of the list, it does give the remaining distance to exiting the Motorway

ATB YFM
    Thanks but all of the above was known. Current route is on and early instruction is on. I'm not at the unit currently but I know this. I also found out that tapping the info bar will look at the route with the next turn.
    My question is, if it knows the next route why does it not show it instead of just "Turn right in 5 miles"? I really do not want to reach up to the unit and hit a button and then back button to get an idea what road it is using as I may want to go another way. The older models showed the next road name.
    Thanks for the suggestions though.
    After playing with the settings and the suggestions above I take it this cannot be done. Hitting the info bar while riding to see a list of all instructions that I have to scroll through to get to where I am and what is next is entirely unacceptable while riding. Why they cannot do a software upgrade and fix this is beyond me. 2 miles before the instruction it shows so it can be done. Just change it to show after the last instruction. Sometimes I know X road is not how I want to go and sometimes I will just go with the flow even if I question where it is going. I'd just like a heads up.
    edited August 24
    Hi
    @VFR700F2
    VFR700F2 wrote: »
    After playing with the settings and the suggestions above I take it this cannot be done. Hitting the info bar while riding to see a list of all instructions that I have to scroll through to get to where I am and what is next is entirely unacceptable while riding (Snip)
    Your above statement is incorrect... You don't have to scroll down the List View.... When you are using the device... Riding or Driving
    The List View is Semi-live... Each time you tap the Top Info Bar and the Back button to toggle between List & Driving View....

ATB YFM
    I'll have to retest that. Trying to read it while riding is not easy and when I did it the other day the top instruction did not look like where I was going but I quickly quit trying to read it and closed it back up. Too much concentration for me to read it thinking I had to scroll.
    edited August 1
    Hi
    @VFR700F2

I normally use the List View on a 6" GO 6200 in the car so its fine...

ATB YFM
    Yamfazman Regarding the instruction order on the instruction bar. My current opinion is if you import a trace it always starts at the first instruction no matter where you are on the trip and you have to scroll to your current point. If I import way points or have the GPS calculate the trip then it starts at the next instruction. Odd but I hit that problem again yesterday and that is the only thing different I can think of.
    edited August 24
    Hi
    @VFR700F2
    VFR700F2 wrote: »
    Yamfazman Regarding the instruction order on the instruction bar. My current opinion is if you import a trace it always starts at the first instruction no matter where you are on the trip and you have to scroll to your current point. If I import way points or have the GPS calculate the trip then it starts at the next instruction. Odd but I hit that problem again yesterday and that is the only thing different I can think of.
    Your above statement is incorrect... You don't have to scroll down the List View.... When you are using the device... Riding or Driving
    The List View is Semi-live... Each time you tap the Top Info Bar and the Back button to toggle between List & Driving View....

I created a .GPX Track On the Mydrive Web Route planner
    Saved & Synced the .GPX Track to MyRoutes

Travelled the Track today... (22/08/2019)
    Each time I Tapped the Top Info Bar to switch to List Mode....
    The first item in the list was the present location (Road Name)
    the second item in the list was Next Instruction + the remaining distance to the next instruction

gqjbkaaa12uy.jpg
    i1uywi3m0t2k.jpg
    iifrisdwj63a.jpg
    f1vswg38gr1r.jpg
    tsuud859ghfl.jpg
    p8lfx5v2ww41.jpg
    ATB YFM