Start 42: this can't be true ? ? — TomTom Community

Start 42: this can't be true ? ?

Hello,

Preparing a roud in France, I make an end- and beginpoint (avoid toll roads)
9xs9dsrhv2ai.jpg

Now I add a waypoint / viapoint:
4tmglpexuazp.jpg

And then this happens:

pa281ch5cnnr.jpg

So: this can't be true ???

Best Answers

Answers

• Gilbert BrGilbert Br Posts: 15 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hé Roadrider: this words fine ! :)

(have been searching for hours to get my route as it should be, but retrying and retrying didn't work... :s )

Thank you very much !
    euh.. Roadrider : routes: can they be sorted on a device ?
    A month later I know more:
    you can't build a route on MyDriveTomtom with way/viapoints en export it to a device.

When you export a route to a device this route becomes a 'track' - but a track has no viapoints.

As far as I know the only way to create a route with viapoints is to do it on the device itsself and than save the route.

(Very strange that TomTom can't (won't?) make TomTomMydrive compatible with devices... ? ? )
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,771 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited August 2019
    Hi
    @Gilbert Br

Maybe Useful....

Note.... On the Start Range of Devices, you have to connect over USB....

If you use the Save & Sync option on the MyDrive Web Route Planner
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow

The Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route the .ITN Route uses Stops and the divice plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Muti Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan

thanx for this comprehensive answer.

1. "BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created"
    euh.. but on my device I can change the order by Reorder Stops ?

2. What is "Sacrificial stop" ?

3. Is this right: If I make a stop on MyDrive Web Route Planner and use the Send Destination to sync it with my device: the stop wil be send tot the route on my device?

euh.. how does the site know to wich route this stop has to be sent ? (Or have I first to send the route without the stop to my device (My routes) and thèn use the route planner end Send the stop?)

4. is the'MyDrive Web Route Planner' same as what you said: 'MDW Route planner' ?

(pfff... questions, questions.... :) )

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 455 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Gilbert Br wrote: »
    euh.. Roadrider : routes: can they be sorted on a device ?

Yes, with Routes you can change the order of the stops (viapoints)

But with Tracks this is not possible. And MyDrive normally converts Routes to Tracks before syncing to your device. (unless you use YamFazMan method)

Both Routes and Tracks have advantages and disadvantages.
    • Routes can have multiple stops.
    • Routes are easier to change.
    • But when you download a route from the internet that is created with another map or navigation preferences the route between viapoints can be very different from the original route.
    • Track can only have a Start and Finish.
    • The process that converts Tracks to a route that follows the roads filters out strange glitches. (like driving into a side road and turn to go back)
    • Even Tracks made with different maps follow almost exactly the same route on navigation devices from most vendors.

Personalty I prefer routes when the destinations an stop points are most important.
    Ans Tracks when I drive a trip that follows the chosen roads as close as possible.

When I drive tracks I also use GPXTrack2OV2 to show the actual trackpoints on screen.
    @ YamFazMan
    the device will continuously attempt to
    thanx, didn't know !
    What is a 'sacrificial' stop
    I understand what you would say, but with google translater I find no explanation of this word - so: what means 'sacrificial' ?

@Roadrider:
    I ment: can I sort the routes-themselves, can I order them?
    adding a Place to My Places: all my places are in alphabetical order
    But can I sort all My Routes (not the waypoints) in alphabetical order - because in the list the newest route stands on top of the list...

And: thanx for this answers !
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Gilbert Br

8ltgrajwp0k9.jpg
    Technical Definition....
    Designed to be used up or destroyed in fulfilling a purpose or function

In the post I point out that there's a bug in the MyDrive Web Route planner see below...
    Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

The "Sacrificial stop" replaces the Stop that the MDW Route planner fails send when the route is Transferred/Synced to the Device
    Its just a Stop alongside the original first stop to act a marker to where original first stop would have been if the MDW Route planner bug hadn't deleted it from the route....

See bullet point... (6)

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

What is your preferred Language ???

ATB YFM
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 455 [Supreme Pioneer]
    As far as I know it is not possible to change the order of your routes.

Sacrificial comes from to sacrifice.
    designed to be used up or destroyed in fulfilling a purpose or function.
    OK YamFazMan, I understand the bug when I shouldn't start from 'my home' to build a route, that I have to make a second stop near to the starting point... (at least I start to understand the issue :)

Still one question: you wrote: ".ITN Route uses Stops" and showed this screenshot: s0bv12eetsba.png

So I thought: if Send Destination makes a *.itn-file (wich can contain stops) and send it to my device: that route will be saved with the stops. - So this isn't right?
    Along the other side you wrote also: "along the other side" and that gives me the impression that the stops are sent with the rout-itsself to the device... ?

(my prefered language is Dutch)

(roadrider: thanks for your answer too!)
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Gilbert Br...
    On the MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    If you create a .ITN route From your present location
    A to B and A is your 'Present location' to only need to 'Send Destination'

lyodesvlbiei.png

If you create a .ITN route with Stops...
    'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...
    The MDW Route planner Icon changes to...
    'Send Stops'

d6zod89o25sq.jpg
    The Route Start, Any Stops & Destination are Synced/Transferred

ATB YFM
    1. Make starting point
    2. Make ending point
    3. Euh... nothing happens on my device?? 0vuw2upzpssk.png

4. Then I make two stops ('send destination' changes now in 'Send stops')

5. Click on Send Stops - nothing seems to happen? (nor on the map of my device, nor in My Routes... (No new route added)

6. Click on (add route) , get: and there click on Save 6a9vniml5ibo.png
    vmeefzemvjcy.png

7. Route is saved in TomTomMydrive , not on my device. I can click on Synchronise as a track, but then I loose my stops...

8. So I don't get this: "The Route Start, Any Stops & Destination are synced/Transferred"

I suppose somewhere I'm doing something wrong ?

My route on TomTomMydrive: uzg8qmz7g7y8.png

edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Gilbert Br

Is your Start 42 connected over USB
    Are you logged into MyDrive on the Start 42

I have planned a near as dam-it to your route using the MDW Route planner (Including a Sacrificial Stop)

br2ukiygutq2.jpg
    Click on the link below to load the Test .ITN Route into the the MDW Route planner
    https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=50.60827,3.88757,17.06,0,-0+search=%7B%22input%22:%22Brugelette%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22,%22coords%22:%5B50.59595,3.85246%5D%7D+routes=%7B%22departure%22:true,%22traffic%22:true,%22routeType%22:%22FASTEST%22,%22travelMode%22:%22CAR%22,%22points%22:%5B%22hw~50.60825,3.89141~A~Rue%20de%20Gand%2010,%207943%20Brugelette%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22,%22hw~50.60842,3.89146~A~Rue%20de%20Gand%2011,%207943%20Brugelette%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22,%22hw~50.55757,3.84344~A~Vieux%20Chemin%20de%20Chi%C3%A8vres,%207870%20Lens%20(Bauffe)%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22,%22hw~50.58508,3.79277~A~Rue%20de%20Leuze%2056,%207950%20Chi%C3%A8vres%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22,%22hw~50.56831,3.75692~A~Rue%20de%20la%20Corne%2015,%207950%20Chi%C3%A8vres%20Walloon%20Region,%20BEL%22%5D,%22avoidCriteria%22:%5B%5D%7D+ver=3

Make sure the route is live.... ( May need to Tap Edit)

Click on the the 'Send Stops'
    ky4hwm5hgskg.jpg

(7)... Saving the Route

My GO 6200...
    unvg3aoun1a1.jpg

hslg6vzkdztj.jpg

j2vb68hx2plu.jpg
    If the Start of the route is NOT your present location you can....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current route --> Drive to Route

ATB YFM
    First of all: I planned that route ‘ad random’: just picked a casual beginning and endingpoint - if I had known that you should simulate the route, I should have picked ‘easier’ start-, ending- and stoppoints...
    (sorry for that)

Is your Start 42 connected over USB - yes
    Are you logged into MyDrive on the Start 42 - yes

I told you in 7 steps what I did - can you tell me wich of these steps I did wrong? (or what I had to do more?)
    edited July 2019
    From mod to superuser (*)

what I appreciate: that you answer questions quickly and follow them well.
    what I do not appreciate: that you only answer through canned speeches and (see eg my last question) do not respond to targeted questions from posters.
    (after my last question remains the sound of silence...)

And canned speeches contain a number of terms that are clear to you, but that are incomprehensible to non-advanced posters: ‘Sacrificial stop’, ‘MDW’ Route planner, a ‘.itn’ Route, ‘Sync’ option,...

Anyway: thanks for your input and tips.

(*) yes, indead, I’m a mod too, already longer than 15 year, on two different Dutch computerfora (one died).
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @Gilbert Br

VikramK & lampard are the site Moderators...
    I'm just a just a user like yourself... I visit the forum as and when I have the time to spare....

I thought we had bottomed out...
    ‘Sacrificial stop’
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1657126/#Comment_1657126

‘MDW’ Route planner'
    Is simply a shortened version of 'MyDrive Web Route planner'

‘.itn’ Route'
    When you plan a Route directly on the device it plans a .ITN Route
    The .ITN Route type uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

Save and Sync
    The Save & Sync option save a .GPX Track... its basicly a bread crumb track that you follow
    la579ci4t355.jpg

nyh5mbbvn09d.jpg
    Sync is short for Synchronize
    What ever journey you have planned on the MyDrive Web Route planner will save the .GPS Track to your Tomtom Cloud Account and Sync (Synchronize) the .GPX Track to your Device

(1)... Did you manage to test load the .ITN Route link in my last post to the MyDrive Web Route planner to see if it loads....
    (2)... Follow the post and see if the .ITN Route syncs to your Start 42
    (3)... Follow my workaround see if the .ITN Route is saved to your Start 42

See...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1657472/#Comment_1657472

ATB YFM