TomTom Anti-Theft .... not that effective? — TomTom Community

TomTom Anti-Theft .... not that effective?

ninjaefninjaef Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
edited July 4 in RIDER
So I purchased the Tomtom Rider 500 which came with a U-clamp RAM mount fixing. I installed this onto a 22m bar and tightened the two nuts on the U-clamp. Great. Then I purchased the TomTom Anti Theft device. Okay, great now it is pretty darn impossible to remove the TomTom unit from the cradle.

But wait...

One need just remove the two nuts from the U-clamp using a spanner or adjustable wrench, and take the whole mount away back to the workshop to cut out the anti-theft part. Easy

So what's the point of the Anti-Theft....Thieves just need to remove two nuts on the ram mount.

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 726 Superuser
    You can use locknuts with a thread locker to make it really difficult to remove them. But the can still remove the whole bar...

Be sensible it’s a nice measure when you’re leaving the motorcycle for some moments without attention, let’s say when you’re going to pay for gas... Not for hours.
  • VStrom-1kVStrom-1k Posts: 144 [Exalted Navigator]
    edited July 3
    If it wasn't such a sophisticated and very difficult to implement feature..:
    What about a PIN lock on the Rider in software?
    I'm sure it doesn't take ages to integrate that one.. require a password/PIN when starting up or returning from sleep.
    My ten year old Garmin zumo had that feature already, imagine that. And automatic unlock (if wanted) when returning home, just in case you forgot your PIN.

Just dreamin', I know. There's no obvious development happening on the Rider platform any more.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    @ninjaef

Google... Shear Nuts

ATB YFM
  • ninjaefninjaef Posts: 10 [Master Traveler]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @ninjaef

Google... Shear Nuts

ATB YFM

Did and purchased. Nuts and Bolts for my A-Frame around the clocks.
    Excellent. !! thank you
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    edited July 4
    Hi
    @ninjaef

For the 4 Panhead screws holding the Rider 4xx/5xx Mount to the Mount & Ball

Google... Torx security Pan-head screws
    You will also need the special Torx security bit

neq987mk7qnc.jpg
    Be careful with the length of the threads, the stock lengths can be a touch too long and can be enough to stop the Mount rotating
    I use a split washer plus a normal washer on each Torx screws to shorten the thread

ATB YFM