Update fails without reason

I tried to update the map on my TomTom Go500 several times (at least 5 times), but each time the update fails.
1) The map is installed on an SDHC card
2) I already replaced the SDHC card with another card (SanDisk 16 Gb), but that did not work
3) The map is first downloaded to the PC, before it is downloaded to my TomTom. The update itself takes more than an hour.

Can you please help me... I'm stuck and do not have any clue what's wrong as there is no error message giving information on the cause of the failure.

Note:
A good solution would be to have a map of Europe that fits in the internal memory of my TomTom (e.g. a map of western europe without 3d buildings), but it seems like that map does not exist.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,769 Superusers
    edited June 28
    Hi
    @EvdPitte

On the early NAV4 devices you were allowed ONE Lifetime pre-installed Map... The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB and wont fit....
    You need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    You will now have to wait until Monday... Maybe @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocated a small Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' (Don't remove the small Map)... The Small Map it will enable the device to keep running and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    @EvdPitte

Are you using a Laptop.. If 'Yes' is it hard-wired back to the router or over Wi-Fi

How Fast/Slow/Reliable is your Internet connection (Hard-wired)
    How Fast/Slow/Reliable is your Internet connection (Wi-Fi )

I'm using Virgin Media Fibre optic broadband hard-wired back to the router 110MB/s... But over Wi-Fi its only 40MB/s

I never bother with the much slower Wi-Fi
    Full Europe Map (Hard-wired) takes around 50/55 Mins

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Thank you for your advise. The maps are first downloaded to the PC before they are transferred onto the TomTom. During this transfer, the error(s) occur. I've found a logfile in "%homepath%\AppData\local\TomTom\Home 3\logfiles" mentioning something like "Device reported error at progress=10000..."