Off to America with GO 5000 — TomTom Community

Off to America with GO 5000

SueFCSueFC Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
.... and have downloaded USA, Canada and Mexico maps. Would like to start looking at routes and planning journeys etc, but can't seem to access the maps while still in the UK. What am I doing wrong please? Thanks.

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,895
    Superuser
    Hi @SueFC

Tap Menu, Tap Settings, Tap Maps and Select Choose another map.

Doug
  • SueFCSueFC Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @SueFC

Tap Menu, Tap Settings, Tap Maps and Select Choose another map.

Doug

Done that, but still can't find a way to access the map. If I go into My Route it just says "Not on current map".
    Superuser
    Hi @SueFC

When you go to the Change Map now is it showing the USA map etc as the selected Map.

If so if you go to the Tap menu, Tap Search you should be able to find places . Now because you are using the USA map firstly search for the Start point. When you have found and selected it you should see the menu with Drive at the end of it. Tap the 3 vertical dots next to drive and select Use as Start. Now search as normal and select your destination then select Drive and it should create a route between the 2 points. You can now save this is My Routes.

You can also go to the My Drive Website and log in. Then create routes in the USA and Save to MY Routes so that they should then appear on your unit.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @SueFC

When you go to the Change Map now is it showing the USA map etc as the selected Map.

If so if you go to the Tap menu, Tap Search you should be able to find places . Now because you are using the USA map firstly search for the Start point. When you have found and selected it you should see the menu with Drive at the end of it. Tap the 3 vertical dots next to drive and select Use as Start. Now search as normal and select your destination then select Drive and it should create a route between the 2 points. You can now save this is My Routes.

You can also go to the My Drive Website and log in. Then create routes in the USA and Save to MY Routes so that they should then appear on your unit.

Doug

I feel I am edging closer! When I tap Search I can find a place, but when I tap on it I just have a Drive option, with no 3 vertical dots. If I tap Drive I am told "No route possible".
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @SueFC

The 3 Vertical dots should be next to the word Drive.

When you tap them you gat another menu.

Doug
    Ahhhhh..... I have to press "Show on Map" first"! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
    Superuser
    Hi @SueFC

Where are you seeing Show on Map?

Doug
    Search.
    Type Address.
    Click on address.
    Then get three options - Show on Map - Add Cross Road - Drive
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @SueFC

After selecting the USA Map in the Settings Menu
    If you are using the 'North-up Overview Planning Map'
    The Direction of Travel Icon displays as short & squat

v32xqjdvvcs3.jpg
    The Direction of Travel Icon in 'Driving Map' view is taller & narrow

Tap on the Direction of Travel Icon to toggle between Driving & Planning Views
    On the the North-up Overview Planning Map
    Pinch Zoom-out --> Swipe the screen over to the USA --> Pinch Zoom-in to suit

ATB YFM

I can see the different icons, but how do they affect journey planning? Sorry to be dim!
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,091
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @SueFC

If you are in Driving view (3D or 2D) you can only Pinch Zoom-in or Zoom-out you cannot Swipe (Pan) around the Map i.e... To another Country

But if you Tap Direction of Travel Icon you can change the display to the the North-up Overview Planning Map
    You can Pinch Zoom-in or Zoom-out and Swipe (Pan) around the Map plan Routes and make changes directly on the screen

In your post where you say "Ahhhhh..... I have to press "Show on Map"
    When you Tap the "Show on Map" Icon, that switches the screen to the North-up Overview Planning Map

Downoload the GO 5100 User Guide...
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_5000/index.htm

ATB YFM
    Aha! Thank you.