TomTom GO 40 won't download map without memory card — TomTom Community

TomTom GO 40 won't download map without memory card

tomtom go 40 won't download map without memory card in, through mydrive!!!!

Best Answer

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,970 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @1gadge1

Based on what Vikram has said you have added an extra memory card in order to download the map because it is now too big for the internal memory.

The problem with this as you say is that if you take the extra memory card out to insert a card for route transfer the unit will not work as it needs a map on it to start up.

I would suggest that you contact customer support to ask for a small map that you can load on our unit which will go on the internal memory and enable you to then insert the Route card.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Keep an Eye out here in case @VikramK picks this up tomorrow and adds a map for you which will appear in your account.

Doug

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,790 TomTom Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Hi 1gadge1

That's because the size of the new maps has grown.

I see that you already have the latest Europe map v10.30 installed on a memory card now .

Regards
    Vikram
  • 1gadge11gadge1 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    the tomtom 40 worked and updated fine, using it's own on board memory, until I pushed a memory card in it. as I wanted to put routes on the memory card, now when I take the memory card out, the tomtom won't work, how do you return tomtom 40 back to using it's own memory!!!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,970 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @1gadge1

Based on what Vikram has said you have added an extra memory card in order to download the map because it is now too big for the internal memory.

The problem with this as you say is that if you take the extra memory card out to insert a card for route transfer the unit will not work as it needs a map on it to start up.

I would suggest that you contact customer support to ask for a small map that you can load on our unit which will go on the internal memory and enable you to then insert the Route card.

United Kingdom
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Keep an Eye out here in case @VikramK picks this up tomorrow and adds a map for you which will appear in your account.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,790 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @1gadge1

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device.

Should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,803 Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @1gadge1

On the early NAV4 devices you were allowed ONE Lifetime pre-installed Map... The early Maps fitted easily onto 8GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB and wont fit....
    You need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    I see VikramK one of the Forum Moderators has allocated a small Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper' (Don't remove the small Map)... The Small Map it will enable the device to keep running and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
  • YayiTomtomYayiTomtom Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi all!

I think the same thing happens to me.

After several years in the forgetfulness, my Tomtom Go 40 remains blocked in the following screen to choose the language ... in which it gives you to choose between "All countries" and "Next". The "Next" button remains gray, not blue.

He does not let me go from there after introducing a 16 Gb Micro SD card to install one of the new maps for Spain and Europe.

Thanks for the help