Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure. - Page 12 — TomTom Community

Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

Answers

• NijtramNijtram Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Thanks @DougLap and @YamFazMan for your answers. They are both very helpful. The reason why I'm asking for a solution other than using a memory card is that I'm preparing for a holiday and don't have enough time to get one.

@VikramK and @lampard: would it indeed be possible to get the latets 10.3 version of the maps, but smaller? I think that this would work out as the best option for me at this moment.

Thanks in advance,
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,705 Superuser
    Hi @Nijtram

Do your larger super markets not do them or a Camera shop may have them as well so you could drop into today and get one..

Doug
  • graham.meakingraham.meakin Posts: 0 [New Traveler]
    edited July 2019
    I have tried to updates the maps on my tomtom it has told me not enough space delete to free up space. I now have what appears to be a device with no maps will not detect the exist sd card tried a new formatted card. looks like if knackered the software on two pc says the server is an issue can someone help I need it next week
    Hi @graham.meakin

Here is a video re the No Maps situation

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

On Monday @VikramK or @lampard may add a small map to your account so you can sort the No Map situation out then you can sort the SD cards out and then download the updated map you are working on.

Doug
  • uacnixuacnix Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    Have the same problem- i'm about to go on a trip, and as always wanted to update the maps through this crappy MDC app. I could handle the write times, but now my device IS FKN BRICKED. It just hangs on "No maps available" error, not letting me do anything about the SD card (thus it can't be seen in that shitty MDC).
    Give me some smaller map so I can upload basically anything so that damn BUGGY message would go away and I can format the SD card so it will be seen in MDC app.

Every year I get pissed on this damn app cause of the R/W times on the device, but this time its too much- its literally "brick your device" application...

This is basically "closed firmware and dedicated apps" in a nutshell - one bug with frozen notification, and you just got yourself a big paperweight...
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,633 Superusers
    edited July 2019
    Hi
    @uacnix

The NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running
    Maybe on Monday @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account

ATB YFM
  • PatrickdejongePatrickdejonge Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Im having the same issue here. I've had issues with an extra SDcard connected to my tomtom device in the past.

I'm having the smallest europe map installed on my device currently, but i cant upgrade to the newest europemap on my device because of space issues.

I do not want to connect an extra SDcard, but i cant select a partial europe map from the tomtom mydrive application as well. It this a bug in the mydrive connect software with the latest version?

Can you allocate the smaller maps to my account as well? The west-europe card suits my needs currently for the trip of this year to France from the netherlands. Maybe i can enable all the buildings as well for this map.

Thank you in advance!

my account is: [email protected] Serial:QR1265xxxxxx

YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @uacnix

The NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB... Also the fact that the MapZones have exceed the 8GB of the NAV4 on-board Memory is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card... For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Branded Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card
    The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless, a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Class 10 Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

Tomtom are allocating a small map to install on the on-board Memory of the NAV4 devices, to give access to the Micro SDHC Card Format Option
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running
    Maybe on Monday @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account

ATB YFM

• James_stevens13James_stevens13 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited July 2019
    I too am stuck in the same loop of not enough memory for the new map

I too am in need of the small map to get me out of this loop

@lampard

Thanks in advance
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,633 Superusers
    Hi
    @Patrickdejonge
    (Snip) I've had issues with an extra SDcard connected to my tomtom device in the past (Snip)
    I have always used Class 10 SanDisk or Lexar Micro SDHC Cards Never had a problem

As this is a public Forum I would remove your Account details... Click on the Cog Icon Post top right to edit
    The Moderators can source your A/C Details from your user name

ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,595 TomTom Moderator
    @janismusins @uacnix @Mickthedrive @cad42 @Patrickdejonge @James_stevens13 @Nijtram @graham.meakin

Smaller maps have been activated. Could you try installing it on the internal memory and see how it goes.

Regards
    Vikram
    I am underway on the task.

How can i speed up the transfer to my Tom Tom?
  • KJinstKJinst Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    I'm have the same problem.

Update corrupted the internal map and now I can't access the menu to format the new sd card for the new map which is to big for my internal storage.

Can a smaller map please be allocated to my account so I can sort this out.

Kind regards
  • cad42cad42 Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    Thanks, @VikramK that did the trick!

Edit: a quick pop into settings on the Tom Tom to format the card, and now MDC recognises the card and I have the option to install Europe maps.

Does the engineering team have an item on their backlog to add a "Format Card" option alongside the "Ok" on the "no map" warning screen?
    ok all done.
    Installed smaller GB map onto go 5000. Once this had installed the tom tom recognised the memory card and formatted it ready for use. INstall of the much larger Euro maps took about 90 minutes but is now complete and my tom tom has recovered.
    At the moment the live traffic is not showing, it has a cross by the car symbol. IS this going to correct itself, or do i need to intervene?
    Hi @James_stevens13

Firstly keep both maps on the unit so that if you lose the European map during an update you are still good to go and can reinstall the lost map.

Re the Live Traffic if you are inside it may well not work. Fully charge the GO5000 then go outside well away from buildings and tress etc with a clear view of the sky all around. Now do a soft reset then when the unit is working create a route and leave the unit in the open for about 30 minutes or so to see if it finds the sats.

Hope that works

Doug
  • AlparslanAlparslan Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    I´m also in the same situation after a failed map update due to a SDCard failure.
    I have a GO60.
    Can you please assign a small map to my account?

Thank you!
    Hi @Alparslan

Added!

Regards
    Vikram
    edited July 2019
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @James_stevens13

Firstly keep both maps on the unit so that if you lose the European map during an update you are still good to go and can reinstall the lost map.

Re the Live Traffic if you are inside it may well not work. Fully charge the GO5000 then go outside well away from buildings and tress etc with a clear view of the sky all around. Now do a soft reset then when the unit is working create a route and leave the unit in the open for about 30 minutes or so to see if it finds the sats.

Hope that works

Doug

Thanks a lot to you Doug but also to @lampard and the tom tom team for being on the ball in a proactive work around for getting back on track with my tom tom.
    Traffic has rectified itself and is now all cool.
  • ivfedericoivfederico Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    VikramK wrote: »
    @janismusins @uacnix @Mickthedrive @cad42 @Patrickdejonge @James_stevens13 @Nijtram @graham.meakin

Smaller maps have been activated. Could you try installing it on the internal memory and see how it goes.

Regards
    Vikram

hi Vikram
    i have exactly the same proble since last month, so i cant use my tomtom
    can i have a smaller map please
    thanks in advance
  • delboy58delboy58 Posts: 28 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Have found an answer to the same problem on my Go 5000 "Waze app" ;-) Far superior to TomTom, ;-) also doesn't take me down single track roads :-) Sorry Guy I'm defecting ;-)
  • Rimvan15Rimvan15 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    When updating the map on my Go 6000 it failed to update but took the map off the device, get the No map available message.cannot access the menu on the device. Cannot install the latest map on the device has the map is 8707mb and the device has only got 6560mb free. Can you Please assign a smaller Europe map to my account. I have Lifetime Europe Maps.
    Hi @Rimvan15

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard pick this up tomorrow and allocate a small map to your account. This will not be a small European map but may be a small UK map.

When you have loaded this it will be on your internal memory and will enable you to then access the menu and insert a Micro SD Class 10 memory card and format it for maps in the unit. I suggest a 16gb or maximum 32gb memory card made by Sandisk , Samsung or similar major maker obtained from a reliable source to avoid Fakes.

Once you have done that then you can download the European Map. There is a benefit of having 2 maps as should you have a problem during the update of the European map then you can still start your unit and install the missing map.

Doug
    edited July 2019
    @ivfederico @Rimvan15 @delboy58

A smaller map has been added for your device.

We are planning to release the Europe map in smaller zones and that should resolve this issue.

Regards
    Vikram
  • jamabhoyjamabhoy Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Could a smaller map be added to my device to allow me to get passed the Non Maps Available warning and format my SD card please.
    @jamabhoy

Done!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online34

Bembo
Bembo
Cruise1
Cruise1
Igglepigglewiggle
Igglepigglewiggle
lampard