Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure. - Page 10 — TomTom Community

Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,957 Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @brunetu

See my first post that Tomorrow hopefully it will be picked up and they will add the map to your account.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 8,782 TomTom Moderator
    @FedericoPS @Alexius @brunetu @vpolvermann

Smaller map added

Should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • MattDoMattDo Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi - can I please have a small map added to my account - i have the no map and no-SD card formatting issue.
    Thanks
    M
    @MattDo

Done!

Regards
    Vikram
  • SunnyBunnySunnyBunny Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi VikramK,

Could you please add small map for me too? Same problem :-(

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day!
  • jollyollyjollyolly Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Seems like a #metoo.
    Can I have one of your little maps added to my a/c please. I've got 6413mb left on the internal. Many thanks, Jolly
    Hi @jollyolly

You don't say what Tomtom unit you have . Are you trying to update your map and the update will not fit. If so then a Micro SD Class 10 card size 16gb or 32Gb will take the update.

Small Maps only being supplied if the unit is in the No map situation which Tomtom will be able to see.

Doug
  • wsewse Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi @lampard, I have Tomtom go 400. Yesterday, I tried to upgrading my existing map (smaller Europe map) which is saved on the device memory to a full Europe map (with buildings) which is going to be saved on a formatted 32GB micro SD card. Unfortunately, the updating process always stopped at 23%. And the device screen showed error message "No maps available". I could not access to any menu on the device either. I tried to reinstall "Mydrive connect" and even soft reset the device ( press the on/off button for moren than 30 seconds until hearing the drum sounds). When I reconnected the device with my PC, it automatically repeated the same process and stopped at 23%. When I logged into my account, I saw the map status in "my content" is marked as "repair". I could not delete the map or change it to another map, like the map I had before. Could you please remove this map in my account and add a smaller map instead so that I can install it on the device memory. I had such a map with life time upgrading service option. But it disappeared after I tried to install this larger Europe map on the micro SD card. Please help!Thanks.
    @SunnyBunny @jollyolly @wse

A smaller map has been activated for your devices.

Regards
    Vikram
  • eliashereliasher Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    I have the same problem, tried all maps but all of them bigger tan internal memory and SD Card cna't be formatted, please I need a smaller map to install in my GO600

Thanks
  • wsewse Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, @VikramK , I successfully installed the smaller map you activated for my device. Then I was able to access to the main menu of the device. I could select format function in the menu to format the external micro SD card. Afterwards, I rebooted my PC and restarted "Mydrive connect", soft reset the device (pressing on/off more than 30 seconds) before reconnected with my PC. It took about two and half hours to install the full sized Europe map on the micro SD card. There was no complain or error this time. Now I have installed the full Europe map ( on micro SD card) and the smaller map (on device memory). It took lots of efforts to try it out, but eventually it works. Thank you so much for your great help, Vikramk, cheers!
    @eliasher

Added!

Regards
    Vikram
  • jollyollyjollyolly Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited July 2019
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @jollyolly

You don't say what Tomtom unit you have . Are you trying to update your map and the update will not fit. If so then a Micro SD Class 10 card size 16gb or 32Gb will take the update.

Small Maps only being supplied if the unit is in the No map situation which Tomtom will be able to see.

Doug

Hi Doug and Vikram - Yes, it was a no-map situation. Thanks for the little map - works a treat. Phew, I was in despair, nearly threw my GO 6000 in the bin.

This is only the second time I have loaded a map to sd card. The previous time (map 1025 I think) I had read lots of folks woes and was very apprehensive. Need not have worried, format offered and map loaded like a dream.

This time I have joined those with the woes. I have done updates before and never been asked to uninstall when using the internal memory. The first time with sd card was ok as it was a new card. I notice that it seemed to add the new map to the old one. Put the card in the PC and that's when the fight started. Card compromised, PC won't look at it neither will TomTom, and of course I didn't have a map at that point.

So, a question, please: Is it vital to uninstall the map on a card before updating? (Do I hear the roars of laughter in the background? Everyone knows that.)

Europe map 1030.9618 also loaded. Could only get a class 4 card but seems ok. Maybe it will run a bit slower.

Many thanks to all, Jolly
    Hi @jollyolly.

When you are loading maps or updates for maps the default position is that the new map or updates are loaded on the internal memory unless there is not enough space available. So because you had no map on the unit it loads the small map on the internal memory which enables you to start the GO6000 and if need be format a new memory card or bigger one if need be.

When you do an update the MyDrive Software downloads the update to the PC then deletes the existing map and loads the update in its place on the internal memory or on the extra memory if there is not enough space on the internal memory even with the old map removed. From this point on you don't need to delete the map yourself. before loading the new version as the software will do that for you.

Leave the small map where it is on the internal memory because if in future you have a problem updating the European map, which can happen, you may finish up with no European map so the small map means you can start the unit normally and load the European map again.

Doug
  • MrWashburn56MrWashburn56 Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Cannot install the latest life time Europe map. I live in Sweden which is part of Europe if I'm not mistaken. No use for a GPS if I cannot download this map. How to proceed. Get indication damaged map. How to rectify this. I have space on my SD card not enough on my TomTom unit.
  • PlanetdunePlanetdune Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    Is this the place to ask for a smaller map? Well I have a 6100 and the updated EU map is larger than what can fit on my device, even if I only install the OS+map ... I would like the Western Europe map added to my account which I assume is smaller than the entire EU map. Thank you.
    edited July 2019
    HI @Planetdune

The offer of a small map is only made for those that have lost their map on the unit and need one to be able to start the unit.

All you need to do is add an extra memory card ie a Micro SD Class 10 card either 16gb or Maximum 32Gb then you can update your current European map which will be loaded on the new Extra Memory. and you will have spare capacity for any other maps you may want to add.

One advantage of the map moving to the extra memory card is that it frees up internal memory. You need at least 400mb of free internal memory otherwise it can slow the device up.

Doug
  • PlanetdunePlanetdune Posts: 5 [New Seeker]
    edited July 2019
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @Planetdune

The offer of a small map is only made for those that have lost their map on the unit and need one to be able to start the unit.

All you need to do is add an extra memory card ie a Micro SD Class 10 card either 16gb or Maximum 32Gb then you can update your current European map which will be loaded on the new Extra Memory. and you will have spare capacity for any other maps you may want to add.

One advantage of the map moving to the extra memory card is that it frees up internal memory. You need at least 400mb of free internal memory otherwise it can slow the device up.

Doug

I don't want to add a SDCard. My dad also has a 6100 and he did this and it ran a lot slower than from the system. The EU map did fit for years now and now suddenly it does not. Also the "EU with benelux 3D buildings" map is smaller than the "EU without buildings" map (for some odd reason)... lastly, I don't need the entire EU... I'm fine with just Western Europe... so if I own the entire EU map, why can't the West EU map be added for my convenience ? Especially as it is not my fault the EU map is now suddenly bigger than the capabilities of my device. Honestly, it is things like this that make people switch from a dedicated GPS device to their smartphone. All I want is to update my map... or install the countries I want (not forced in "entire EU or bust")..
  • MentorreshaniMentorreshani Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    Hi there,
    i'm facing with a problem since 1 week and i have no idea what to do more. I reset my NAVI tomtom GO 400 and after restarting sd card is not recognized anymore. Navi gives me not access to do anything just "No Maps Available". After connected with pc (Tomtom Home) it shows only the internal memory of Navi which is approximately 6.5 GB and the map to install is more than 6.7 GB which means i need an external memory or micro sd card. But the problem is that micro sd card is not recognized anymore, also in Tomtom Home doesn't show the availability of the sd card (not recognized). I have no idea what to do else.
    Can you help me, please?
    Thank you in advance.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,477 TomTom Moderator
    @MrWashburn56 I've removed the corrupted map now from the SD card and you can resume the download on your device by following the steps here: Re-downloading a map
    Whenever there are multiple updates available to download, please download them 1 at a time, not all together.Best order to update 1 by 1: (if offered)
    QuickGPSfix / Navcore
    Map
    Speed Cameras
    Voices
    Mapshare update (recommended to update last)

@Planetdune The size of our maps increases as we add details, such as new roads. Your device has the world maps on it and around 6.5 GB free on internal memory to install a new map. None of the zones under the Europe map will be able to fit on your device. If you want to change/Add a new map update service (e.g Western Europe), It's best to check with our support.

@Mentorreshani I've added a small old map of Austria on your account, please connect and download the map. Once you do this, Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card and format the SD card on the device when prompt shows. Just connect the device to the computer after this and download the EU map on SD card when recognized using MyDrive Connect.

Cheers, lampard

• BVGUZMANBVGUZMAN Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello-

I ´ve got a TOMTOM GO 5100, with 6,74 GB of Mem.I tried to update the European Map 9.95 ver to a newer one. I haven´t seen the size of the new versión and I deleted the original. Now I can´t find the olders versions with smaller size. Is there any link to get it and recover it?. i have a perpetual subscription.

Thanks for your help
    Hi @BVGUZMAN

If you add a micro SD class 10 memory card Sandisk, Samsung or similar major maker size 16gb or maximum 32gb then you will be able to download the European map. The map is now too big for the internal memory with all the new roads and infrastructure added particularly in some countries that are not fully covered.

Recommend you have a small map on the internal memory in case you have any problem with a download of an update which results in the map not being loaded. The small map will ensure you can start the GO5100 to reload the failed map.

Doug
  • PHIL0747PHIL0747 Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    I was prompted to update maps, but this failed several times, and left me with a corrupted map
    My GO 500 now refuses to recognise any sd card and I can't access the menu to (perhaps ) force format of the SD Card

My GO 500 now shows no maps avaialble

I don't have enough space on the GO to install the smallest Europe map despite removing everything I can.Are you able to assign a small map for me so that I can get the GO working normally to then be able to format the new SD card?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    :)
    Hi @PHIL0747

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will see Monday and sort you out.

Doug
  • bertdendekkerbertdendekker Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    I have the same problem as Lorenzo, i have a TT go50 that say no cards found, it is not possible to format a sd card in the TT. I also need a smaller map, then i can co further. Please help me !
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0