Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure. — TomTom Community

Request for adding a smaller map due to a SDCard failure.

I´m also in the same situation after a failed map update due to a SDCard failure.
I have a GO500.
Can you please assign a small map to my account?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,079 Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @chen_alger

8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    Maybe Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators will allocate a smaller Map to your Account
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,197 TomTom Moderator
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @chen_alger

Welcome to the Community! I've added a smaller (Greece & Cyprus) map on your device, please connect and download the map. After this, Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card and format the SD card on the device when prompt shows. Once the format completes then Check for EU map update and download it on SD card when recognized.

Cheers, lampard
  • franko10afranko10a Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    Accepted Answer
    Solution:

Downloaded small 20mb map (Iran).

Was then able to access TomTom 600 menu.

Took memory card from camera.

Formatted in SatNav.

Now able to download larger Euro map :)

Answers

• LorenzoXLorenzoX Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    During a failed update the map on my Go 6000 has been removed but the new one has not been installed. I have resetted and restored the device, but in my account I have no map which fits into the device's free memory (about 6.2 Gb) and as I read in other posts as long as I do not have a map on the device, the device will not recognize the MicroSD card on which I used to install my maps.

How can I resolve this most annoying situation without buying a new map which I would never need?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,181 Superuser
    Hi @LorenzoX

When you open MyDrive Connect with your GO6000 you should see the SD card and its available;e space. If not reformat the card in a PC and reinsert it.

When MDC sees the card you should be able to select the map you want and it will install to the SD Card if too big to fit internal memory.

See video on this as well

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16693/locale/en_GB

Doug

Hi @LorenzoX

Welcome to the Community!

Can you please follow the steps below and let us know if this works?
    • Format the SD card to FAT32 format using a computer.
    • Soft reset the device and when the map screen shows, insert the SD card.
    • The device will prompt to format the SD card on the device.
    • After the format on the device, perform another soft reset until the bios screen comes up (keep holding the On/Off button until the device shows a black screen with white text).
    • Turn the device off.
    • Turn the device on again and then connect it to the computer to check for the updates.

Cheers, lampard
  • BigRedttBigRedtt Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Strange situation. I have a GO 5000. It ran out of space for the latest maps on my 16GB memory card.

It did not tell me I would run out of space, it just ran out during downloading and corrupted the map. So now my device has no maps.

So bought a 32GB memory card.

When I log in to TomTom My Drive Connect, it says there is not enough space and does not recognise the memory card.

As per TomTom help files I reformatted the memory card (Samsung) in Windows 10. Still did not work.

On the device, it just says no maps available, and the menu button is not available so I cannot access the card format options inside the device.

So I am currently stuck. I cannot install any maps, the memory card is not recognised, I cannot access the Meu in the device. I can't do anything.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,167 Superusers
    When you inserted the card in the device, did it offer to format it (it should)?

What brand card did you use? I feel a 16 gb SanDisk card proves most reliable.

With your card in the device, do a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds. See if it offers to format the card then.
  • thierry91thierry91 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same problem too.... :s :/

You need to download a map (a small one ) on the internal memory of your device (whithout SDcard inserted) , otherwise it will not work... I choose the first small one that my mouse clic.... it was Iraq... very small !!!
    you can delete it after your main installation !!!
    After that, you can format and install a new map on an empty SDcard without any problem...
    :) ;) B)

I found this by myself after many many ... many tries .. !!!! :'( :#

I've asked this question to support on 04/03/2019 morning and they don't yet answer or even put a mark to say they have read my question....
  • thierry91thierry91 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    it is a BIG bug in their application !!!!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,181 Superuser
    Hi @BigRedtt

Just checking. When you reformatted the SD card in your PC did you do it to Fat32 then as @dhn says did your GO5000 reformat it when you installed the card and did it ask what you wanted it formatted for. . Samsung card should be okay they work in mine.
  • Sandman1970Sandman1970 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I had the same problem with my 610 this weekend, now my Europe map is installed on my memory card, doesn't matter if SD card is in or not, My Drive will install another country to the deice, once that is installed you will be able to format the SD card on the TT then install Europe to the SD card
    Thank you for your answers, but unfortunately none is working.
    I have reformatted the card, but whenever I start the device, the device does not see the card and is locked on the screen saying no map is installed. I have tried two different cards, including the one which has always worked so far and is still working correctly in my laptop. Of course I have also completely reset and restored the device. However, my only map (Europe Lifetime) does not fit into the memory of the device anymore and I read in posts on the Internet that if no map is in the device, the device does not mount the MicroSD card. With this, I'm still stuck.
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,400 Superuser
    edited March 13
    Hi all

@LorenzoX

You can try this, I hope will help you:

1/ For MyDrive Connect.
    If you have a corrupted map, you must delete it.
    - Open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Uninstall".
    - Empty cache folder, close MDC window and right-click the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock.
    ==> choose "Settings"/"Downloads" tab/ "Empty download folder" button/"Save settings".
    - Right-click on the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock
    ==> Choose "Quit".

2/ For the microSD card, class 10 of minimum 16GB (max 32GB)
    TomTom uses a proprietary formatting mode performed by your device.
    - Put the microSD card in the TomTom device, previously formatted in FAT32 with your PC.
    - Do a Soft Reset: Press and hold the Power button for about 30 seconds until you hear a drum sound, then release the button. If you see a black screen with white text, hold down the button until you hear the drum sounds. the device restarts.
    The formatting starts automatically after the Reset, on the screen choose the option "Map".

3/ Install EU full map on the micro SD card. Because of its size 8553MB, MyDrive Connect will put it directly on the micro SD card.
    - In MDC, open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install Full Map With Buildings".

Regards.
    Hello,

I've followed the steps, but unfortunately nothing worked. The MicroSDHC class 10 does not get formatted, but it gets accessed as FAT32 because a directory android_secure is created on the card. However, MDC does not see it and the screen of the GO 6000 is stuck on "no maps available".

I've also tried https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898/related/1 to restore the device, but the problem remains.

It seems it has driven crazy other people as well, see https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1001043/map-deleted-by-update-cant-re-install-very-frustrated

As I understand, the only solution is that Tomtom adds a small map to my account so that I can get beyond the lock screen "no maps available" and hopefully see the SD card.

This is really a most annoying and stupid situation.
    edited March 15
    Hi
    @LorenzoX

No Maps Installed Error....
    If you have one of the first edition NAV4 devices, they have 8GB onboard Memory (Minus the space used for the operating system and minus a further 400MB Minimum of free working space)
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map is 8.533GB... You will need to install a branded 16GB or 32GB Class10 Micro SDHC Memory card....
    But you now have a problem the Micro SDHC Memory card need to be first Formatted Fat32 on your PC, then Formatted in the Tomtom device with a propriety Tomtom Format... But You are effectively locked out of the system with a 'No Maps Installed' Error, you can't Format the Micro SDHC card....

You have a couple of options
    Option... (1) If you or a friend have another NAV4 or NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Device
    You can format your Memory Card on that device....
    (1.1)... NAV4 Device (The slave device needs to have a Map installed on the internal memory, for the device to continue to operate while you swap out the Memory Cards)
    (1.2)... NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Device (The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have 16GB onboard Memory and World Maps, so much less likely to have the above problems)
    When Formatting is complete Remove the Memory Card and insert the Memory Card into the Device showing 'No Maps Installed'
    My Drive Connect should now recognize the Memory Card and allow you to install of the Full Europe Map to the Memory card
    Note... As soon a Map is installed on the Memory Card, the Map and Memory Card are locked by the Serial number to the Device that installed the Map, in other words you can't swap Memory cards with installed Maps between devices

Option... (2) Tomtom Support or the Site Moderators should be able to allocate a small map to your Account, for you to install to the devices internal memory, in order for you to pass the ''No Maps Installed' Error message and allow the install of the Full Europe Map
    Note... I would leave the small Map installed on the internal memory as a 'Keeper' to prevent a 'No Maps Installed' Error, in case you ever want to swap out Memory cards for "Say" Route/s Transfer

ATB YFM
    Hello,

I know nobody with a Tomtom device who could format the card, so I'll need to go for option 2. Who can I contact for this?

By the way, I've seen for a fraction of second between the "No Maps Available" screen and the "power down" screen, the screen asking whether I want to use the card to store routes or maps. Unfortunately that time is too short for the device to sense my finger on the option of storing maps: this is really a stupid design flaw.
    Hi @LorenzoX

I've assigned the Germany map on your device, please connect and download the map. Once you do this, please reply back here and do not install the Europe map as there seems to be a problem with the software installed on your device.

Cheers, lampard
    Hi Lampard,

I have successfully installed the Germany map and could format the card which is correctly seen and accessible now. Thank you!
    Following your recommendation, I have not installed the Europe map and I'm replying back here to learn how shall I proceed now.

Best Regards,
    Lorenzo
    Hi @LorenzoX

I've made some changes to your device to push the latest application on your device. To apply these changes, follow the steps below:
    • Disconnect device from computer.
    • Soft Reset: Press and hold the On/Off button until you hear the drum sounds and the device restarts. This can take 30 seconds or more. Quit MD Connect application.
    • Click the MyDrive Connect icon in the Windows notification area or Apple menu bar> Settings>Downloads>Click 'Empty Download Folder'( If it's grayed out, just click on Save settings)
    • Open MyDrive connect.When your device is turned on, format the SD card and connect device to the computer.
    • On MyDrive Connect in right bottom corner, it will says ‘updating’.
    • Once complete then Check for EU map update and download it on SD card

Hope this helps!

Cheers, lampard
  • valerimavalerima Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Dears,

I can share with very similar problem with GO 600 which was successfully solved due to help of TomTom support. I have live update for EU maps, but after upgrade all maps disappeared. I do think this has happened because bigger EU map size-about 8gb size. Available on main device was 6.3 GB. SD cards size was 8 GB, but previous EU map was there.
    After some discussions support person assigned to me smaller map which fitted to main device, afterwards menu option appeared. I have formatted card to "map" option inside of device and succeeded with EU map installation there . Card was Sandisk, 32 GB.
    Thank you for offering a solution.

Intermediate status: I'm still trying to download the Europe map through MDC. It progresses terribly slowly and the page reports from time to time (every 2-3% of progress!) that the Internet connection is broken, although this is not true. Just using the URL I could download the whole map within a few minutes (I have a 100 Mbps connection) so I don't know what MDC is doing. :-1:

I'll reply here if I manage to finally complete the procedure.

We are very longstanding Tomtom customers and it is really too bad that such small quality problems massively deteriorate an otherwise very good product (well, battery lifetime is also a problem). I hope we'll get the GO6000 back at work!
    edited March 16
    Hi
    @LorenzoX

In theory The full Europe 8.9BG at 100MB/s should download in 12 Minutes 44 Seconds (Download only, not install) See Here... https://www.download-time.com/

Have you checked the real world download speed with one of the online speed check sites
    Are you using a Widows PC or a Mac (Judging by this site, a Mac's seem more problematic)
    Is your Computer/Laptop Hard-wire or Wi-Fi connected to your router
    My Virginmedia 100MB/s connection is hardwired to the router and connects a 110MB/s
    Are you connected directly to a USB port on your computer ??? Do not connect via a USB Hub
    Download/installation interrupted..... Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"
    Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html
    Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed
    Is your Antivirus program aggressively monitoring your Firewall and throttling the Tomtom USB/Network connection

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,

as I mentioned in the previous post, I could already download the map without a problem accessing the URL straightaway from the browser, the problem is limited to the connection opened by MDC. I'm accessing from Windows 10 over WiFi (but Ethernet would be exactly the same, the link is OK) with no other firewall than the home gateway and the Go6000 is connected over a direct alway-on USB2/3 port. I have setup in MDC a direct connection and I do access the Internet over a direct connection from the browser while MDC says it has no connectivity. I have also reinstalled MDC, cleaned the cache etc. No antivirus blocking MDC. I've aborted and tried to resume or restarted a couple of times. So far I could achieve 56% while I see already since yesterday the whole map downloaded from the browser on the same PC ... very frustrating.
    Hello,

I can finally announce success! I've managed to download and install the map: this resolves the issue.

I'm not sure what's the matter with MDC's internet connectivity, but apparently after disabling all network adapters except one and the NDIS device for the Tomtom the download has succeeded. I say apparently because I had left it running and went away for some time.

Thank you for the support and best regards,
    Lorenzo
    @YamFazMan

the problem is now solved, so we don't need to further elaborate on it: disabling all network adapters but one (plus the one for the device) made it.

However, it has to be noted that the bad conectivity is hardly something tolerable: from the same laptop one HTTP session could download the file without a problem, so why should MDC have a problem?
  • MarkSpannerMarkSpanner Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi @lampard

I have exactly the same issue as @LorenzoX had - my SD card on my GO 500 had an issue and corrupted, so I have had to replace it. I haven't had a map on the GO for many years due to the increased size of the Europe ones, so the new SD card can't be formatted on the GO due to no maps being present on the device.

I don't have enough space on the GO to install the smallest Europe map (see image) despite removing everything I can.

e7lapjdc7gjj.jpg

Are you able to assign a small map for me so that I can get the GO working normally to then be able to format the new SD card?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    :)
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online7

Syork
Syork
+6 Guests