Display Longitude/Latitude co-ordinates for a location on a TomTom VIA52 or in the MyDrive Program — TomTom Community

Display Longitude/Latitude co-ordinates for a location on a TomTom VIA52 or in the MyDrive Program

I just upgraded from my old TomTom One to a VIA52 and while I like all the new features, it doesn't seem to allow you to display the GPS co-ordinates of a location or address. The only way I can do it is to save the location/address in MyPlaces, then with my VIA52 sync'd to MyDrive on my PC, search for the location that I saved. The co-ordinates are then visible in the windows URL bar or very briefly if I right click the little box that pops up showing the location's address. All my old TomTom devices happily show the Long/Lat for any location in the status bar when in map view but not the new VIA52.
Also, I've found that there seems to be a minimum file size (around 1400 bytes) for importing POI files. Anything below around 1400 bytes simply won't import. Has anyone else seen this?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,975 Superusers
    edited June 19
    Hi
    @fatbellybinky
    Coordinates.....
    Tap on the four dot Icon (....) (Bottom left screen)
    Tap Search Icon
    Tap (Top right on screen) Tap Whole map
    Note…. On some units (I think) it says Installed Maps
    Scroll down
    Tap Latitude Longitude Icon

By the way... When the device has a "GPS Satellite lock"
    The Latitude and Longitude shown on the screen as an example is....
    Live for your location

When inputting coordinates using DMS format, you can't enter seconds as a decimal point
    Example N 50° 31' 10.62'' W 4° 1' 55.95''
    But If you simply round up or down the second's entry in the example
    I.e... The North decimal point to 11" and the West decimal point to 56"
    It gives B3212 Sampford Spiney UK
    If you tap the offered Sampford Spiney UK
    The Map will open at the location
    Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Icon and the Quick Menu will open with more options ie...
    "Add to MyPlaces"
    "Use as a starting Point"
    "Search Near Here"
    Note... If you already have a route planned and want to add a coordinate location to the route, the 3Dot Icon Quick Menu will have an extra option...
    "Add to Route"

Also.....
    Example inputting coordinates using GPS format, for example, If you enter N 52 23.488 W 2 12.501 it's a field in Worcestershire UK
    In the text, the New GO range will display the coordinate location and underneath, offer the nearest road location as a destination, in this case, an (Unnamed location) Hurcott UK

021fa32a-9e95-483a-a598-114e5cae63e8.jpg(1)... Tapping the Black Pendant Icon opens the "(Unnamed location) Hurcott UK" Tap the blue "Drive Steering Wheel" icon to drive there
    Or
    Tap the 3Dot Quick menu for more options... See the above "Sampford Spinney" example for more info

(2)... Tapping the Globe coordinate Icon only zooms the map into the Globe Icon (Tapping the Globe Icon on the Map does nothing)... Pinch zoom the map down until the Black Pendant Icon is in view... Go to bullet point (1)...

If you Tap the dual function Icon (3Lines & 2Circles

2ytgzd26585n.jpg

You can toggle between a Map and List view or tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Coordinates menu screen

If you pinch-zoom the map screen, it will show the coordinate location on the Map

The GO will give you the coordinate location and will show it on the map, but can only plan a route to the nearest road access point

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    YamFazMan - I think maybe you mis-understood my question. I am not trying to search for a GPS Long/Lat location. What I want to do is display the Long/Lat co-ordinates for a location that has already been saved in MyPlaces. I use my TomTom when delivering car parts and when I have to deliver to a customer I've not visited before, I navigate there (usually by address and postcode) then when I get there I save the location in MyPlaces. When I'm home I want to display the Long/Lat co-ordinates for that new location and add it to my customer POI file that I maintain on one of my older TomTom's that allows me to add or edit POI entries. I then export that updated POI to my working VIA52 device.
    Hi
    @fatbellybinky

On the latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices, that use MyPlaces and the MyDrive Web Route planner
    See the MDW Route planner... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Firstly... On the device Convert your Marked locations to MyPlaces
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces --> Marked locations... Tap on the Marked location & follow the on-screen instructions... edit or accept the offered name
    Repeat for the other Marked places
    Open the MDW Route planner & login with Email & Password
    Your new MyPlaces will sync to the MDW Route planner
    Go to your MyPlaces list
    Click on the required MyPlace... The Map will Zoom in with your MyPlace centred on the screen
    The the https:// link contains the Coordinates
    Note... If the newly synced Myplaces are no longer requires delete using the Tiny Trash Can Icon
    Note... Ignore the .16 at the end if refers to the present Zoom level of the MDW Route planner screen

Tip... You can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps

Click on the image to enlarge
    md2kr99m1xvn.jpg
    ATB YFM

When you click on a MyPlace in the list... The Map screen auto Zooms & Auto Centres

I you want a Near as dammit Coordinate... For say a 'Stop' or a Point on the Map
    Have the MDW Route planner full screen
    Zoom the Map in to the require detail (Recommend Zoom level 16 (18 is Max Zoom)
    Left click on the Location and drag the location near as dammit to the Screen centre
    The the https:// link contains the Coordinates
    Note... Ignore the .16 at the end if refers to the present Zoom level of the MDW Route planner screen
    Tip... You can Copy & Paste the MDW Coordinates (Not the whole https:// link) to Google Maps for more info

ATB YFM

Yes, I just discovered that while playing around - looks like the only way to display the Long/Lat of a saved location.
    I've raised a support issue regarding the inability to import smaller POI files so will see if they come back with a solution. Luckily my customer POI file that I maintain is large enough to import OK but I have another personal one that only has about 8 entries and that won't import. I guess I could duplicate some of the entries to make the file bigger but shouldn't have to do that.
    Hi
    @fatbellybinky

The POI size problem has only happened over the last couple of weeks, prior to that POI Categories would save and sync with just a couple of locations

ATB YFM

I'm in discussion with support about it but they keep coming back asking me to try different files in case the ones that don't import are corrupted. I KNOW it's a size problem so I just sent them 4 files to try for themselves.