Updating my TomTom XL — TomTom Community

Updating my TomTom XL

I have a Tom Tom XL that has worked perfectly until recently. It asks me to update all the time. I found the time to do it and I cannot find the model to update it on Tom Tom home anymore

Answers

• Paul0001Paul0001 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a Tomtom Via 52. I tried to update the map recently and it would not connect to computer (no problem with previous updates) and Myconnect would not download updates until I updated Navcore which it wouldn't/couldn't do.
    I read somewhere that a specific usb cord was essential (I was using standard) so ordered one and this arrived.
    Still no go, so got onto Tomtom instant chat and was redirected to a technician who told me he could fix it if I gave him control of my comp through Anydesk. Within a short time I was told the fault was with my computer and he could fix it for Aud$150.00. I said no thanks because I could buy a new GPS for that and albeit oldish ,the computer worked fine for everything else.
    He ended by saying I would have the same problem with the new one so I downloaded Myconnect onto my laptop and tried connecting/updating with it, exactly the same problem.
    Anyone else had a similar experience ?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,703
    Superuser
    HI @Paul0001

You would appear to have gone onto a scam website. Could you please submit details of the website here so Tomtom can look into it.

Regrettably there have been one or two others who have had similar problems.

Doug
    The site was uk.support.tomtom and I initially used the instant chat in bottom right corner, Barbara I think. After a couple of initial questions it said it would redirect me to a technician. The technician then phoned me directly without me supplying my phone number so am assuming he had access to my details through Tomtom records.
    The number the technician called from is 01800934286.
    edited June 2019
    I could be wrong about the site, it might have been https://gpsnavigationmart.com/
    I am certain I did not give them my phone number while communicating in the chat box or any other time, which is interesting.
  • BGoo774207BGoo774207 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    The answer I received to download the Tom Tom home I had already done. I was told this XL version is no longer supported. What a waste. It still works fine except that I get the update message all the time and my clock stays at 12:00. So I have to trash perfectly good equipment.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,703
    Superuser
    Hi @Paul0001

Suspect it is the site in your latter post which has been the subject of a few posts recently.

Thank you for advising.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,581 Moderator
    Hi @Paul0001

This website link you provided is not a genuine one.

It has been reported on our community before and I have added this to the list.

TomTom never charges expenses over the call or when taking a remove session of the computer for fixing issues.

Regards
    Vikram