Looking for a hardwire kit — TomTom Community

Looking for a hardwire kit

I not long ago purchased a TomTom VIA 52 sat nav.

Instead of having the usual power lead i am thinking about using a hardwire kit although
i am not sure if a suitable kit is available.

Any help please..

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,680
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Ant52

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

ATB YFM
  • Ant52Ant52 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for your very useful reply..

Perhaps another option is to purchase a 12v power socket and mount it in the glove
    box then i can re route the wire.

Will have to have a think.. :)
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 667
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    You can't get a hard wire kit from TomTom, but this is perfectly possible using the supplied adapter and a few other bits from Amazon (or any auto electric store).

Buy a standard 12v extension socket (like this one) with the plug end cut off and the positive wire hard-wired into a fuse piggy-back adapter (like this one). The negative wire attaches to some metal bodywork behind the dashboard - if you find a bolt screwed into some metal, these are handy for this. Plug the piggy-back adapter into a fuse socket controlled by the car's ignition, then plug in TomTom's supplied power adapter and cable at the other end. This can all then get threaded behind the dashboard, taping or cable-tying where appropriate to prevent rattles, leaving just the micro-USB plug poking out where you want the TomTom sited.

Don't be tempted to buy an in-line 12v to USB output converter and/or 3rd-party cable, as you'll get power supply issues. Best to use TomTom's own power adapter and cable to guarantee everything to work.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,680
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @dmulv +1
    I used exactly the same method
    Just a word of caution... If you order a Piggy-Back fuse adapter
    For older cars use the large 6mm fuse blade type
    The latest cars use a narrow 3mm fuse blade type

ATB YFM
  • moleratmolerat Posts: 40 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    I used one of those trailing sockets piggy backed off the the ciggy lighter. A cable tie helps to make sure the adaptor stays firm in the socket.
  • Ant52Ant52 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Thank you for all your advise.I very much appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

I have used the piggy back fuse holders in the past,they are very useful.