TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Go 400 seems to keep rebooting

I have a problem with my go 400.

the device boots up fine, but when the time comes to switch to the map view, the screen goes blank, then device seems to reboot and keeps doing this.

it will connect to computer fine, can update maps, and the connected to computer screen stays on, whilst the device continues to seem to reboot in the background.

when the menu button appears i get about 5 seconds to navigate the menu before the screen goes blank and then seems to restart.

its like it cant access the map, and keeps trying.

ive restored the device and tried resetting with the power button, but its still the same.

Whats gone wrong?

Thanks

Phil

Best Answer

• Pulsar278Pulsar278 Posts: 31 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited June 15 Accepted Answer
    It appears I've managed to sort.

By installing and uninstalling the smaller map on internal memory, I managed to stay in the menus long enough to reset device and all seems fine.

In fact it seems to run quicker and smoother.

Only thing now is as I recovered the device a few times it is now on 17.3 and not offering any newer version.

But. Again, thanks for your help @DougLap .
    And thanks to @VikramK for smaller map. Wouldn't have managed it without.

Regards

Phil

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,262 Superuser
    edited June 14
    Hi @Pulsar278

Has this happened after you have loaded the small map @VikramK added to your account?

Doug
    edited June 14
    Hi Doug

No it happened yesterday, and formatting the sd card to fresh install the map is why I ended up needing the smaller map.

It went off whilst in use and when I turned it back on it started going real slow once the initial boot up is done.

It does read the map as once it has a gps fix i can see the road I'm on greyed out in the background until the screen goes blank and then comes on again.
    edited June 14
    Hi @pulsar

Once the smaller map is installed and you have got the memory card ready for the Full Europe ,I assume, then you have loaded that is it okay?

Once you have loaded the maps do a Soft Reset ie hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the Drumroll then let the button go.

Doug
    edited June 14
    I haven’t gotten round to installing the full map, I was hoping the smaller one would work ok before putting the full Europe map on. Thus eliminating any problem with the sd card.

But the smaller one on internal memory does exactly the same as the full one did before I formatted the sd card.

I have done soft resets, also restored the device using tomtom connect and nothing seems to fix it.

I have took a video of what it is doing but don’t know if I can post it.

I will put the full map on the sd card but I’m not holding out any hope.

The only thing that was wrong with device before this is the battery is pretty much useless, only runs for about 20 seconds without power.

Thanks
    Phil
    edited June 14
    Hi @Pulsar278

That sounds as though the small map is not the case. Have you got the memory card in the unit if so try with it removed.

If that works then I would reformat the card on the PC to Fat32 using a Full Format not a quick format and try it then.

Doug
    No the memory card was not inserted. Just the UK map on the internal memory.

I inserted the sd card and got the option to set for maps. I left it installing the full Europe map on the sd card as I had to go out.

Why is all the updating and restoring working fine, but it won't run nav software.

How can that even happen? If the unit is faulty nothing should work.

I'll be home soon so will confirm what happens with the sd card map, but I'm expecting it to be exactly the same

Phil
    edited June 14
    Got home. Installation of full map onto sd card went fine.

But the sat nav still refuses to stay booted up.
    Still keeps switching from the world background, to the a look at current location, then a blank but still lit screen which can have to 2 arrows in top corners, then repeat.

Help.

Looks like it'll have to go in the bin which is a waste.

HI @Pulsar278

Lets see if @VikramK has any ideas tomorrow.

Doug
    edited June 15
    Is there any way to completely reinstall everything on the internal memory?

On old devices you could access the file system and replace everything.

It seems as if when the device went off it maybe corrupted a file it was writing at the time and now when it accesses a user profile file it just restarts the nav software.

When it restarts each time I get a few seconds to access the menus, but if I try to access addresses or drive to work it just restarts immediately.

I don't get enough time to get to factory reset option, as it loading map info in background and restarts before I can get there.

Tomtom should have the facility to remote access the devices through connect if they don't want us looking at the file systems like TVs do.
    edited June 15
    Yes the device recovers fine, but no difference made.

It's not the map data or the nav software that's corrupt.

Its probably a file that is created and written to by the device.
    Possibly the equivalent of the mapsettings.cfg file on old devices.
    Which I cant get access to, to delete.
    HI @Pulsar278

Looks like we need to see if @VikramK or @lampard have any possible solutions. Let us see what they say on Monday.

Doug
    Thanks for all your help Doug.
    It’s appreciated.
    edited June 15 Accepted Answer
    It appears I've managed to sort.

By installing and uninstalling the smaller map on internal memory, I managed to stay in the menus long enough to reset device and all seems fine.

In fact it seems to run quicker and smoother.

Only thing now is as I recovered the device a few times it is now on 17.3 and not offering any newer version.

But. Again, thanks for your help @DougLap .
    And thanks to @VikramK for smaller map. Wouldn't have managed it without.

Regards

Phil
    Hi @Pulsar278

Now that you appear to have it working okay I would recommend that you keep the small map on your Internal memory.

If in future you are updating the full European that is on your extra memory card and you have a problem you could lose the map. If this happens with the Small map on the unit you will be able to start the unit and reinstall the failed map. Without the small Map being there you will not be able to start the united will have to go through the No Maps Available procedure.

All the best

Doug
  • raptor812raptor812 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi! I have the same issue like Pulsar278 for TomTom Go 60. I did all steps like Pulsar but nothing changing, still same issue. For me it's not showing any place and blue arrow like in Pulsar278's video. For me it showing only globe in a background. I reset and restore device lot of times but nothing helping. When I'm opening menu all buttons are unresponsive, then it goes blank and then main screen, and sometimes it not even opening menu. Do you have some ideas for solution?
    Hi @raptor812

When you say rest do you mean a factory Rest.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will delete all your data but it should be resynced from the Data saved in your account and visible when you log into your account in the MyDrive website.

Doug
  • raptor812raptor812 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It's not going so far, only thing what I can do is Tap menu then Settings and then everything freezes and after some time everything starts from main menu where I can tap Menu.