TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Can't download new updates, apparently size limitations

Its about the : Europe + buildings Scandinavia, Size: 6575 MB, Version: v10.30

It seems that I have limited space on my TT, although I try to remove all components from my TT, it still complains. Pl. see image 3krmaijlfznq.png

I have added a small film (via You Tube) to show what I am experiencing here (please see the link below)

On seeing the film it is clear that I cannot install the new update on my TT

Can someone assist me please ?
*btw I also have a sd card on this device (pl. see image SD)32t28p5dv2dy.png

I have also logged this issue on TT support (190608-xxxxxx ) a week or so ago, but no reply yet.

Mod edit: Please do not post any personal information on a public forum!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,281 Superusers
    edited June 13 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Radaway
    Radaway wrote: »
    (Snip) What company makes an update that surpasses their own device's limitations in the 1st place ?
    I paid good money for the TT device and now it is near about a 'defunct' because TT's own update won't fit on it.
    which company in the world makes updates that surpasses it's own products limitations ?( when the product is still in support) (Snip)
    Try Googling Ga*m*n T&Cs....
    I find that the T&Cs for the definition of the Device being Out of Life, Maps size versus Memory size, the use Map zones or the supply your own Micro SD Card etc are similar to Tomtoms
    With Tomtoms T&Cs the more user-friendly of the two :)

The Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB & the MapZones exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation... But Tomtom future proofed the the device by fitting a Micro SDHC Slot
    For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    According to your Profile you have a GO 5100 World
    Simply install a small Map from your GO 5100 World Map Collection onto the Onboard-Memory
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

When you insert the card the unit will ask you what you want the card formatted for Maps or Routes. You select Maps and you could keep the 2mb card which after formatting in your PC to Fat32 using Full Format not Quick format you could use ifor Routes.as these are usually small files.

Should the unit not ask you about formatting then go into Settings/System and Select Format a Memory Card.

When your unit was first offered to the market with its 8gb internal memory it was more than adequate to cope with the Europe map and the operating software on its internal memory. Rather than putting lots of memory internally that many would not want they provided the option to expand the memory if you wanted to add more maps to it. Since then the Europe map has now expanded to as much as 9.3Gb hence the need to make use of the facility to add more memory.

That card looks okay.

When you have successfully loaded the European map update then select a small map on the Add a Map list which you then load on your unit. It will go on the internal memory and just be left there. This is a safeguard should you have a problem during a future update and lose the Europe map. With the small map there you will still be able to start your GO5100 and try to reinstall the lost map.

Doug
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,262 Superuser
    edited June 14 Accepted Answer
    Deleted
  • RadawayRadaway Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    I got the Card.
    I installed the v10.3 & it went fine.
    I suppose that ends it all.
    All's well that ends well.
    ...once again Thanks All .!
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Radaway

Glad you are sorted.

Doug

Answers

• moleratmolerat Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    You cannot split the map across the unit and the SD card. You need an SD card that is large enough to take the map.
    Hi @Radaway

Firstly looking at your Video you only have 65mb of spare space on the internal memory which is a big problem and you have less than 2gb I think on the Extra memory card.

The extra memory card looks as though it has nothing on it so how big is that card as it looks as though it is only 2gb.

You need a 16gb or Max 32gb Micro SD Class 10 card and preferably from Sandisk or Samsung as some lesser known cards are know be difficult to get to work in Tomtom units.

I assume you are trying to update the European map will it will not go on the internal memory if there is only 65mb of available space and if it did the Tomtom would probably not even start.

Can you please advise what the card size is.

Doug
    edited June 13
    Firstly , Thanks for the reply All .

@ Tomtom: what company makes an update that surpasses their own device's limitations in the 1st place ?
    I paid good money for the TT device and now it is nearabout a 'defunct' because TT's own update won't fit on it.
    which company in the world makes updates that surpasses it's own products limitations ?( when the product is still in support)

@ Doug : I will now go ahead and order a 32 gig micro Sandisk or Samsung 32 gig micro card.
    at present my card is only 2 gigs ...I had inserted it with the thought of putting voices and other small files there ...but Now I know how I need to forge ahead.

Not too amused by TT ...firstly on their Vision on ongoing products, and then the customer support. No answers at all. then TT complaints that their market is being taken up by Google maps etc ...Company should pay heed to their customers and then not expect customers pay heed to company .

ohh..and BTW If I buy the Sandisk or Samsung , is it then just inserting the card and 'go -ahead' ?
    as I write , I saw this : https://www.dataio.nl/samsung-evo-plus-32gb-micro-sd-geheugenkaart-95mbs/?utm_campaign=Samsung+EVO+Plus+32GB+micro+SD+geheugenkaart+95MB/s&utm_content=&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Pn_vJHn4gIVSeN3Ch1c1wRPEAQYAiABEgKNw_D_BwE

will this suffice ?

If I missed anything , pl. let me know .

Thanks all !

*PS: in my 1st image ( topic starter) there is something that is using up 530 megs eventhough I have parked all contents to the Left. what is usurping this 530 megs?
    because if I could have this 530 meg., I can easily accomodate the 6575 meg. update without having to buy a card.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,281 Superusers
    edited June 13 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Radaway
    Radaway wrote: »
    (Snip) What company makes an update that surpasses their own device's limitations in the 1st place ?
    I paid good money for the TT device and now it is near about a 'defunct' because TT's own update won't fit on it.
    which company in the world makes updates that surpasses it's own products limitations ?( when the product is still in support) (Snip)
    Try Googling Ga*m*n T&Cs....
    I find that the T&Cs for the definition of the Device being Out of Life, Maps size versus Memory size, the use Map zones or the supply your own Micro SD Card etc are similar to Tomtoms
    With Tomtoms T&Cs the more user-friendly of the two :)

The Full Europe Map size is now 9.13GB & the MapZones exceeding the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation... But Tomtom future proofed the the device by fitting a Micro SDHC Slot
    For the new larger Maps maps you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 9.13GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)
    According to your Profile you have a GO 5100 World
    Simply install a small Map from your GO 5100 World Map Collection onto the Onboard-Memory
    The advantage of the small Map would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

When you insert the card the unit will ask you what you want the card formatted for Maps or Routes. You select Maps and you could keep the 2mb card which after formatting in your PC to Fat32 using Full Format not Quick format you could use ifor Routes.as these are usually small files.

Should the unit not ask you about formatting then go into Settings/System and Select Format a Memory Card.

When your unit was first offered to the market with its 8gb internal memory it was more than adequate to cope with the Europe map and the operating software on its internal memory. Rather than putting lots of memory internally that many would not want they provided the option to expand the memory if you wanted to add more maps to it. Since then the Europe map has now expanded to as much as 9.3Gb hence the need to make use of the facility to add more memory.

That card looks okay.

When you have successfully loaded the European map update then select a small map on the Add a Map list which you then load on your unit. It will go on the internal memory and just be left there. This is a safeguard should you have a problem during a future update and lose the Europe map. With the small map there you will still be able to start your GO5100 and try to reinstall the lost map.

Doug
    Thanks YamFazMan & Doug,
    I am already feeling better after reading through your advices.
    Let me go through them a little bit more throughly before I come back here with the final verdict .
    Thanks and to be contd.
    YamFazMan wrote : 1) Simply install a small Map from your GO 5100 World Map Collection onto the Onboard-Memory.

Q: How do I go about this ?

or was this the answer from Doug ? : When you have successfully loaded the European map update then select a small map on the Add a Map list which you then load on your unit.

In that case (since the software is not running in front of me now) , the 'Add a Map list ' would be a menu option or a dropdown list ? or something that a user just can not miss (I hope) ?

btw, My Samsung card is on the way . Thanks to Doug for acknowledging it !.

and Once it's In , I will sit down and do my Homework diligently :)
    for the time I close this issue.
    Thanks to All who contributed and saved the day .
    Cudos and Cheers !

edited June 14 Accepted Answer
    Deleted
    Hi Doug

This is the Model I have (Pl. see Image) ouaoy7t4r1sd.png

and I shall follow the steps you have mentioned. Thanks for the detailed documentation help here .
    Hi @Radaway

I deleted my earlier post as the information was incorrect.

Looking at your video you appear to have loaded or considered loading 6 maps including Egypt and Ecuador for example. So when you start up the My Drive Connect software and connect your GO5100 you should be able to select any updates you have and load them or you can select maps to reinstall from the ones showing or from the Works Map Collection.

Doug
    Hi Doug

Thanks for the effort so far.
    Let me get this straight here (for myself)

1) when I press the software for 'update' --->It immediately splashes the screen telling , there is space limitation.

2) From here ; I go for the 1st (of the 3 options) , 'remove stuff you dont use''

so far so good

3) On the ''account'' part of the screen ( left column ), there is this new update waiting (Europe v10.3)

On the same screen(right side) is my ad-hoc ''system'' status . which has the Old EU version v 10.25.

4) Now comes the Catch 22 !

The ''account'' version(Left part of the a/c screen) is Greyed out .
    which means there is no way I can choose the v10.3(Left part of the a/c screen) and put it on my ''system'' (right part of the a/c screen).

5) as a workaround , I have to choose the v 10.25(right part of the a/c screen) , bring it to the 'left' (with help of the chevron arrow) --->to create space.
    ...I do so ...however this 'remaining' space that I created is not enough 'yet' for the v10.3.

.....and this is where I raised my hands up :) & raised this issue.

I hope the video is a bit more clearer now.

BTW:
    My card is on the way .& strangely enough I also got a support reply from TT .
    Guess TT support is 'linked' to the forum here ;).

as mentioned, I am waiting for the card and the extra Homework from there onwards to get the v10.3 finally inside the box.
    I will keep this issue posted.

Thx. & have a Great weekend !!

Accepted Answer
    I got the Card.
    I installed the v10.3 & it went fine.
    I suppose that ends it all.
    All's well that ends well.
    ...once again Thanks All .!
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Radaway