MyDrive says Europe v10:30 is 'active' ? — TomTom Community

MyDrive says Europe v10:30 is 'active' ?

jacko1950jacko1950 Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
edited June 2019 in MyDrive Connect
but my satnav says there are no maps on the device..so I basically cannot do anything with the device apart from try and download the only map availabe to me, which is europe v10:30, which unsurprisingly fails to download (8hours to get 36% then it crashed and advised I contact customer services).

tbh I am totally lost with this. Mydrive doesn't automatically load when I connect my satnav to my laptop, and when I try and click on the notification icon it says there are no new items or updates available..

what do i do ?

Best Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,893
    Superuser
    edited June 2019 Accepted Answer
    Hi @jacko1950

If you had health problems that prevented youhaving Wifi at home you can now see how you can update a Wifi unit using your Wired to the internet PC as the Wifi/internet source.

Based on that try the following either connected to your wifi with or without your PC using either your Wifi or with the better Wifi connection via your PC

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1041654/no-maps-available-wi-fi-devices#latest

Please let us know how you get on as we are determined as customers like you to resolve this..

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,428
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacko1950

Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Topmtom Video... No Maps Available (Wi-Fi® devices)

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jacko1950

For future reference as you will not be able to do it at the moment.

When you Tap Settings, Tap Wifi and then Tap the paired Wifi you will see on the left hand side of the screen details of the Wifi connected including the Wifi speed .

Doug

Answers

• bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    It's a little extreme but you can try reinitializing per the instructions on this page:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

But it does seem you are able to get the the "download maps" interface. If you call support and ask them to add a very small map to you account perhaps that download will go ok. Then at least you can start the satnav and try to add your preferred map.
  • jacko1950jacko1950 Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
    big wrote: »
    It's a little extreme but you can try reinitializing per the instructions on this page:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

But it does seem you are able to get the the "download maps" interface. If you call support and ask them to add a very small map to you account perhaps that download will go ok. Then at least you can start the satnav and try to add your preferred map.

Thanks.. I think support are on holiday today, but is there a phone number to call them as the online support is just robotic support. Part of my issue is i'm in France with a weak wifi, but Ihave a friend with good wifi but of course my device (which is wifi enabled) cannot be set to find this stronger wifi.. I would need to sign in to use it. Your solution as regards to getting a smallmap to activate my device might hve to wait 'til tomorrow.

An alternative may be doing it through MyDrive via my laptop, which I could connect to the stronger wifi then connect my device to the laptop to download the map...but again of course Mydrive says there are not any maps to download, and the only maps are ones to purhase before downloading.

I'm kind of stuck really, maybe the guy on here who helped others on here who were stuck like me can help me too by adding a small map to my tomtom for me ? I'm new on here so don't know how to connect with him..

It's frustrating isn't it, and it seems incredibily complicated when you trawl through the tomtom web pages to try and find out how stuff works..
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @jacko1950

If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Download and install myDrive Connect
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    DO NOT have your GO Basic connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    Note... I find, If there is more than one Update, it's best to do the updates one at a time

See... Tomtom Video... How to update your device using MyDrive Connect

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @jacko1950

If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Download and install myDrive Connect
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mydrive-connect/
    DO NOT have your GO Basic connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    Note... I find, If there is more than one Update, it's best to do the updates one at a time

See... Tomtom Video... How to update your device using MyDrive Connect

ATB YFM

Hi,thanks for this...I've followed this procedure but when I turn on the newly installed Mydrive connect there is one screen that comes up, and this merely tells me to update the easy way via wifi..I click on 'got it' then it goes to a 2nd screen which asks me which device I want to manage...there are no updates visible so no options to download anything ? When I click on the only device visible (my tomtom) it goes back to the first screen...and so on back and forth...It's as before, it thinks the new europe map is installed,it says it is 'active'..but my device tells me there are no maps installed and therefor I have no access to any commands on the device. The device does show the europemap, ready to download...and since the resetting of the device a new feature has suddenly appeared...the option to use wifi or usb to download..Clicking USB does nothing else, clicking wifi takes me to the various wifi links I had before with the option to sign in to one of them. Maybe I can now go to my friends house (with the good wifi link) and sign in there and download the europe map ?

Mydrive connect seems to think maps are installed, but tomtom says not. I cannot do anything on the tomtom with no map installed and the only choice is the 8gb europemap...
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacko1950

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @jacko1950

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM

Hi, thanks again...my device is inoperable becasue i have no maps it seems...so i can not use my device to do anything. There are no maps available in mydriveconnect. The previously mention option to connect my device via wifi or usb has now disappeared so that only option I had has gone. When I turn my device on the only screen that comes up is the dreaded 'no maps...download available maps (europe at 8gb)'. all I can do is turn it off or start the download over the wifi network it is currently linked to...which after 8 hours yesterday crashed and said contact support... I am losing the will to live now, I think i'll just drive over the bloody thing and crush it to bits....it's useless !
    Superuser
    Hi @jacko1950

If you had health problems that prevented youhaving Wifi at home you can now see how you can update a Wifi unit using your Wired to the internet PC as the Wifi/internet source.

Based on that try the following either connected to your wifi with or without your PC using either your Wifi or with the better Wifi connection via your PC

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1041654/no-maps-available-wi-fi-devices#latest

Please let us know how you get on as we are determined as customers like you to resolve this..

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @jacko1950

Doug

Hi, thanks....my problem now is the option screen to use wifi or usb has disappeared,,,I'm currently doing a reset of my device in the hope this will delete my previous settings and allow me to choose wifi or usb... i'll come back with the results...
    Superusers
    Hi
    @jacko1950

Topmtom Video... No Maps Available (Wi-Fi® devices)

ATB YFM
    okay now at friends on their wifi and started the europe map download 15 mins ago, so far 5%, then down to 4% now back to 5%....going to be an all day job i guess. I have plugged in the usb to keep power to the device, this is plugged in to laptop usb port...i presume it isn't downloading via usb (and mydriveconnect) but by wifi as I selected on the device ? Resetting the device brought back the options on whether to connect via wifi or usb, it having disappeared earlier today...Don't know the wifi speed round here in rural brittany but it won't be much, although better than at my previous location..

guess i just sit tight now..

what would be good though, is to have a map on my device (a small one) so i don't end up losing maps again and facing this crisis...at the moment the europe map is free in the deal , but a small (luxembourg) map or something would be nice if anyone can 'give' or 'send' me one ??

7% ...20minutes.....6 hours ?
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @jacko1950

For future reference as you will not be able to do it at the moment.

When you Tap Settings, Tap Wifi and then Tap the paired Wifi you will see on the left hand side of the screen details of the Wifi connected including the Wifi speed .

Doug
    Update Failed !
    please try again, or contact customer services.

seems it got stuck at 7%, went back to 4% three times then gave up...

back to square one...
    Superuser
    Hi @jacko1950

What is the Wifi strength as I explained in my previous post.

Doug
    jacko1950 wrote: »
    Update Failed !
    please try again, or contact customer services.

seems it got stuck at 7%, went back to 4% three times then gave up...

back to square one...

The option to try via USB has disappeared again, so i am yet again restting the device so i can then try via the 2nd option, USB and mydriveconnect, as per the video...
    Superuser
    Hi @jacko1950

When you say you are reseting the device what are you doing.

Doug
    Hi @jacko1950

When you say you are reseting the device what are you doing.

Doug

i'm holding the device on/off button for 20 secs until black screen with white writing appears, then when a big and a little screen appears i'm connecting usb to my laptop where mydriveconnect tells my it is restoring device (to factory setting)...this then brings back the option to select wifi or usb when i want to download the map . currently at 14%..it's very slow....everything is slow...maybe i should hold off until a find a decent signal....i'll have a look at the speed when and if this option becomes available again ...
    maybe this europe map file is now corrupted, i've tried about ten times to download it and each one has been aborted..the best i got was 40% then it crashed...
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @jacko1950

I have flagged this to Tomtom to see if they can look at the Log of your activities at their end to see if their is a problem they can sort.

A normal Soft Reset is to hold the ON/OFF button down and when the drumroll occurs you let the button go so you don't get the white writing.

Doug
    Hi @jacko1950

I have flagged this to Tomtom to see if they can look at the Log of your activities at their end to see if their is a problem they can sort.

A normal Soft Reset is to hold the ON/OFF button down and when the drumroll occurs you let the button go so you don't get the white writing.

Doug

thank you...i seem to be in a muddle with this, i'm just stuck now and restore has stopped too without restoring..I'm going to stop now...go and get some fresh air and await tomtom perhaps. thanks to everyone who has tried to help me, very much appreciated...
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,904 Moderator
    Hi @jacko1950

I had a quick look at the download logs and I see the connectivity keeps dropping.

Perhaps the WiFi connection may not be stable or fast..

A wired connection would be a better option using MyDrive Connect.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781

Steps under- USING MYDRIVE CONNECT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A WI-FI® CONNECTION

Regards
    Vikram
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @jacko1950

I had a quick look at the download logs and I see the connectivity keeps dropping.

Perhaps the WiFi connection may not be stable or fast..

A wired connection would be a better option using MyDrive Connect.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22781

Steps under- USING MYDRIVE CONNECT AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A WI-FI® CONNECTION

Regards
    Vikram

Hi, thanks for the reply. yes, the connectivity is dire ...storms in the region...I need to go to another location for a good wifi orwired connection..but this assumes I can get access to the options within the device whereby Ican select and then enter the password for the connection...without a map of any sort on my device this option only becomes available if I do a reset...and that doesn't always work. I watched the download rate andit varied between 300kb/ps to 50 kb/ps.....which might explain a lot. It has been better in recent weeks but lately has been atrocious...Still think it's not a smart process where having no maps renders the device useless...but then again if I had 20mb/ps I'd prob be ok....

thanks again...
    Update..

I telephoned customer services and asked for a 'small map' to be loaded to my device, explaining the issues I had. They did this straight away, the map of Israel (47mb) now sits proudly on my device and all the device functions are now working perfectly.

I can now connect with any wifi I can find that has more oomph than my current choices...this 'may' help me get the elusive Europe map downloaded at some stage.

One small change though, the Europe map no onger sits in the Updates and New Items section of my device, but under Maps>Add a map. I've not tried to click it as I assume this still needs downloading...I have 13gb of memory space available still, but for now I am just going to leave it at that.

Superuser
    Hi @jacko1950

I would use the add map facility to download the Europe Map you have plenty of space as you would seem to only have the operating software and Israel. on it . It would seem that because you don't have the Europe map on it at the moment then it will not offer the update.

Doug
    Hi @jacko1950

I would use the add map facility to download the Europe Map you have plenty of space as you would seem to only have the operating software and Israel. on it . It would seem that because you don't have the Europe map on it at the moment then it will not offer the update.

Doug

I'm not sure about that...I think the update fully replaces the old version, rather than 'just add in the new bits' ? I could be wrong but my feeling is the new version, when starting to download firstly removes the old version to create space for it, then starts installing the new version..when my install stopped at 40% and I had to abort it, it said by stopping it would remove all the data downloaded so far, which left me with no maps at all. I could be wrong, but that is how I reckon I lost my old version of Europe maps..
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    HI @jacko1950

Yes the Add map loads a whole new one and yes an Update removes the old map and loads a new one. It does that to get the space.

If you did not want to add an extra memory card you could use the Delete a Map option, which should not be used if you only have one map on the device, and free up enough space to add a map you want to use on a holiday which you can delete after and put back the deleted ones if you need them. As long as you have that Israel map tucked away in the corner of its memory then you should be fine..

If at the moment you only have the Israel map on the unit I would add the European map because until you do you will not be offered updates for a map you do not have on the device.. The European map you download should be the latest.

Doug