How do I charge the device when it's near 0 power? — TomTom Community

How do I charge the device when it's near 0 power?

I inadvertantly let my GPS run down to near zero power; I guess it was in sleep mode when I put it away last spring, and I didn't notice, and it used up almost all its power when that happened. I tried to plug it in, when I was in the car, to charge it, but it looked like my power cord wasn't working (which didn't surprise me; it's a bit on the dilapidated side). I had others at home, though, so I waited, and got home to charge it.

At first everything was going well, and it was charging; I had it plugged into a low-end charger, same as I usually use for it in the car (around 1.0A). Then I noticed the maps needed updating, and I figured, since I was indoors, I would make use of the household WiFi to update. Big mistake. I guess, while downloading, it was using more power than it was charging; it quickly ran itself down to zero power again, I guess mid-update? And now it won't come on again.

When I plug it in, it cycles through powering itself up, and then switching itself off again almost immediately, like it's immediately exhausted its power supply. I never get enough time to actually push the button and turn off the device manually, so it can charge, so this pattern continues to repeat itself, and I'm worried that if I leave it doing this, it will damage the battery.

I've also tried hooking it up to the lightning adapter I have for my Apple gadgets (2.4A), in the hopes that the increased power supply might offset the usage, but it seems to make no difference.

Is there a way to get around this problem and charge it?
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,155
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    HI @ByakkoChan

The batteries in Tomtom units, was in other similar equipment, do not like being totally run down for a long time.

Have you got an Apple or similar phone mains plug with the USB socket on it . Check the output and If it is charge your unit with that for at least 2 hours. If your Tomtom turns itself on whilst you are doin this then turned it off until it has had a good charge for at least 2 hours to see if you can revive it.

Doug.

Doug
  • ByakkoChanByakkoChan Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That's what I did, after the 1.0A charger didn't work. I plugged it into my iPhone charger, but it's still doing exactly the same thing. I don't think it's getting enough charge to charge.
    I have to press and hold the power button for three seconds to power down the device, but the device won't stay on for three seconds, so it never gets the signal to shut off, and tries to boot up again the next time it has enough power to make the attempt.
    Superuser
    HI @ByakkoChan

if it is coming on whilst you are using the apple phone charger then leave it on for a while, 30 minutes plus, and then see if you can turn it off.

Doug
    It only flickers on for a moment, then shuts off again before I even have enough time to turn it off. Then it does it again. It's been plugged in for the last hour or so, and doing the same thing all that time. Is there any way to pull the battery out and charge it separately?
    Superuser
    Hi @ByakkoChan

No there is no way to take it out to recharge. You can get replacement batteries and there are videos on Youtube to show you how to fit it at your own risk.

Is the unit still in warrantee?

Doug
    I'd have to check; probably not though, unless they come with extended warranties; I believe I've had it close to two years now.