Old voices compatible with new units? — TomTom Community

Old voices compatible with new units?

I have a TomTom One 3rd Edition - got it back in 2007. I know it won't update anymore - already went through that routine to check.

I have some aftermarket/community created voices on it that I'd like to save. I know how to get them off the device, but I need to know if the files will be compatible with a new device.

Anyone? Anyone?

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 290 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Almost all voices should be compatible. For example if you have a new navigator that connects using MyDrive, you can right click MyDrive's icon in taskbar (with navigator connected) and click Upload Community Content
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,222
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @Ziz

The latest NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have NO access to Manage Community Content
    Only the NAV3 Devices have access to Manage Community Content

The latest NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices only have access to the Voices section in MyDrive connect --> My content --> Voices section
    OR
    When Voices are purchased though the Tomtom Web Shop and made available on your Account to install
    Here... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/navigation-voices/

The Forum Moderators @VikramK & @lampard can allocate the TTS Computer voices to your Account

ATB YFM
  • ZizZiz Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    I'll figure out how to do it - TomTom software or just hook the unit up to the computer and copy the files manually - that's not my concern. What I'm wondering is if the file system is the same - the order the files are in, the way they're named, the audio format, etc. If that's changed, then getting them from one device to the other is irrelevant.
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @Ziz

Hmm Interesting....
    A few years ago Microsoft took Tomtom to court and stopped them using the Fat32 filing system, around the same time someone found how to crack and pirate the Maps, so Tomtom locked down the updating system using a secure Network, and as far as I know no one has cracked the system
    Now that on most of Models... The Maps (World Maps on some Models) Speed Cams & Live Traffic are all free there must be little incentive for anyone to continue trying

ATB YFM
  • ZizZiz Posts: 3 [Novice Seeker]
    Thanks for the history lesson, but that still doesn't answer the question. Are old voice files functionally compatible with new units?
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Ziz

Who knows ???
    The updating system is locked down using a secure Network

ATB YFM