Updating from GO Mobile to TomTom GO Navigation? — TomTom Community

Updating from GO Mobile to TomTom GO Navigation?

JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,785
Community Manager
iOS users, update GO Mobile to get the new app! During the update, you will receive a bonus of 1 month, a gift from us, and not charged to your account.

GO Mobile subscriptions will remain valid, but if you are not logged in to your MyDrive account, you will need to restore purchases to retrieve your subscription at the end of the one-month bonus.

Auto-renewing subscriptions will only start if you make a purchase in the iTunes Store.

Comments

• WiesowiWiesowi Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hello Jürgen,

After I've restored my phone, the tomtom app updated and gave me a free month subscription. This is very kind, but not so useful if you aren't logged in. Because my current subscription still keeps the same end date. And because of this free month I need to restore my purchases after this month. Which is giving me an extra hassle to get my subscription back.

Is it possible to add this extra month to my current subscription, or at least get my current subscription (without the extra month) back? So that I don't have to wait a month before restoring my purchases.
  • Paolowolf66Paolowolf66 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    I cant traffic and autovelox doesn’t works anymore after update
  • Paolowolf66Paolowolf66 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Traffic and autovelox doesn’t works anymore after the update even if I am always logged in in my account
  • Eduard K.Eduard K. Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello.
    Why the new TomTom GO Navigation now is not available in AppStore in Russia? The last version is still 1.10.2. And when will we be able to update?
    Thank you.
  • Roman GusevRoman Gusev Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In support of Eduard K. - the application is still not available in the Russian appstore, in addition, the traffic service has not been available for two days. Subscription is registered until 2020. Probably, these are sanctions against Russia?))) It is a pity that users in Russia cannot use your application, with the exception of small errors in maps, TT is one of the best navigation programs.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,923
    Superuser
    Hi @Roman Gusev

Traffic is not available at the moment as the Tomtom servers are down.

Doug
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 373 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Eduard K. and @Roman Gusev
    In support of Eduard K. - the application is still not available in the Russian appstore, in addition, the traffic service has not been available for two days. Subscription is registered until 2020. Probably, these are sanctions against Russia?))) It is a pity that users in Russia cannot use your application, with the exception of small errors in maps, TT is one of the best navigation programs.
    As long as the map errors are small and TomTom Traffic servers are providing you with Traffic then you are better off with the old legacy iOS app than GO!

This is because the GO app is based on the NavKit engine and thus cannot handle custom POIs, the screen whilst more modern doesn't show all of the necessary information e.g. you can't show the distance to destination and time to the destination at the same time so they have to swap being shown - this is dangerous! The maps all have 3D buildings which just add unnecessary bloat as you cannot have maps without the 3D buildings - which are only approximations and not accurate. When you use roundabouts, the GO app is sluggish and takes a second or two to realise what's happening and the map rotates around for a bit.

Unlike the legacy iOS app, GO iOS doesn't have a URL Scheme so you cant have other apps send a location and location name to the app for a destination, nor can you receive an email with a URL Scheme link for a destination, e.g. here's a URL Scheme link for TomTom Europe to route to Disneyland Paris:

com.tomtom.Europe://geo:action=navigateto&lat=48.86870&long=2.78181&name=Disneyland%20Paris

All of these problems (and more) were reported to TomTom since March 2016 when GO was first released but TomTom has ignored the issues and I think most legacy users have now left this forum and use another (non-TomTom) SatNav product.

As a legacy TomTom iOS user, you will be disappointed with TomTom GO iOS.

The newer GO may look prettier for passengers, but the legacy iOS app is far more functional and useful for a driver.

Regards,
  • Roman GusevRoman Gusev Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Doug, Privateer - thank you for your responses! Traffic service earned today. As for the use of other programs - I tried all possible navigation applications in Russia, most adequately displays traffic jams with TomTom, and also builds more or less optimal routes. There is also Sygic (with TomTom maps) - information about traffic in the application is delayed compared to TT. IGO maps are rarely updated and currently do not correspond to reality. If interested, I can tell you more about navigation in Russia)) Thank you!