TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Support?

Does anyone know how to talk to a real person on the phone for support? In sweden we are just told to chat with the truly awful support which is clearly running google translate backwards and forwards.

The SIM card on my SIM card suddenly stopped working. The 'support' first told me they had checked the SIM card was still activated, but then they asked me what my SIM card number was. Doesn't exactly give me any confidence that I wasn't just being given the run around. Despite not knowing what they problem with my device is, i was told the repair would cost 105 Euro. I can't believe tomtom need 105 Euro just to turn the SIM back on - it feels like i'm being duped completely.

Does anyone know a number you can ring from Sweden (international is fine) where you can talk to a real person? Has anyone any experience of the SIM being turned off in an effort to get customers to 'buy' a repair or even worse, a new device?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,262 Superuser
    edited June 13
    Hi @AndyBr

I have heard a suggestion of a sim being deactivated if it has not been used for a very long time but it is not something we hear very often..

Here is a Customer support number for Sweden

Sverige (Sweden)
    077-662-00-10
    Måndag-Fredag: 10:00-17:00

If you get a recorded message asking you to advise the TT unit you want to talk about do not say anything and I think in the end you will get through to an agent.

It may be that one of the Mods @VikramK may see this tomorrow and can check to see if there is any problem re the sim at their end. It may take him while as he may have to contact someone.

Keep an Eye out here and if in the meantime you contact Customer support and they sort it please advise us on here.

Doug
  • AndyBrAndyBr Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    thanks for the reply. The phone number just has a recorded message that tells you to go to the chat (which is pretty hopeless). The GPS is used pretty regularly and everything worked fine until about two weeks ago, when the tomtom services just stopped working (RIL_ERROR for the GPRS). I've tried all the resets, updates etc but the problem remains
    Hi @AndyBr

I would do a Factory Reset make sure the device has been charged for about 2 hours.first

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device

This will return the unit to Out gf Box. You will delete all your Data favourites,(My Places) and any Poi and Route Files you have loaded from MY Drive or via a a SIM card

You will have to se it up again with the account details etc and it should when it connects to your account then Sync all the data you can see backed up in your MyDrive account that you can see if you log into your account on the My Drive website.

The reset will not effect your Maps and you will still have the latest Software you have loaded on the unit.

When you have done the reset create a route on the device and then go out side well away from buildings and trees etc in a good mobile service area and see if it locks onto the signal and connects to the Tomtom servers. You will know if it has its the traffic icon and Cloud Icon become bold on the screen after you Tap menu. You have to make sure you have logged into the account on the device.

Good luck Please let us know.

Doug
  • AndyBrAndyBr Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug, thanks. I've tried all of this - more than once - but no luck unfortunately. The SIM still doesn't connect :'(
    Hi @AndyBr

I have the 5" version of your unit and the sim works fine on that .I would keep trying in the meantime as some were reporting connection issues very recently so may sort itself out for you

Lets see if @VikramK has any suggestions.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,261 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @AndyBr

I think there is an issue with the SIM to establish a network connection.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service.

Someone will get in touch with you soon.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.