Viewing My Places — TomTom Community

Viewing My Places

I have a number of devices, one of which has just USA maps on it, how do I stop this device listing my places in the UK? It clearly states that its a list of places not listed on current map but there is no other map installed and neither do i want to install another map

Best Answer

Answers

• Captain_America_365Captain_America_365 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Doug and thanks for the reply. Changing the unit onto its own account is a great idea but how do I go about moving the POI's I want to keep on it over to the new account? I don't want to re-enter them all because quite a few of them are taken from exact positions when I have parked my car so are not easily replicated by entering a zip code or address.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,285
    Superuser
    Hi @Captain_America_365

Ah if you have data you want to still be available on the unit when you change accounts that needs some expert help from @yamfazman on this forum..

In order to move a device to a new account you have to do a Factory Reset on the device and then input the new account name and password. The problem with this is that the Factory Reset deletes all your Data ie favourites (My Places) backed up on My Drive and any Poi and Route files you may have added to the unit via MyDrive from your Tomtom unit. You also cannot simply copy data between accounts .

Yamfazman can describe a methodology which enables you to transfer the data you want back onto the unit after you have reset it.

Please wait and keep an eye out here.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @Captain_America_365

I don't think you will be troubled with the US MyPlaces appearing on a device using UK Maps or vice-versa UK MyPlaces appearing on a device using the US Maps

The MyPlaces apear to be Map specific

I installed the USA Map and created a Statue of Liberty MyPlace

Using the Europe maps the Statue of Liberty does 'NOT' appear in my normal UK MyPlaces List

Using the US Map the Statue of Liberty 'DOES' appear in the US MyFravorits list, and 'NONE' of my normal UK MyPlaces appear in the list

If you already have lots of MyPlaces....
    Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    Find/Load the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    a3bdf3f4-a5bd-46bf-9447-683ddf169f40.png
    2nd Click on Copy
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

ATB YFM
  • Captain_America_365Captain_America_365 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Wow! Thank you for your comments and help, that was exactly wahat i was going to do! Seriously, i didnt have a clue so this was invaluable. Thank you for sharing your expertise and thank you Doug for pushing me in teh right direction.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,733
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Captain_America_365

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM