2»

Answers

• Sf73
    Sf73 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    edited June 2019
    lampard wrote: »
    Sf73 wrote: »
    To be viable, the CarPlay version needs to show current speed, limit, distance and time to destination and average speed whey in an average speed area.
    Unfortunately, the CarPlay® User Interface templates do not allow for the route bar in its current form. We are investigating ways to incorporate the information and features of the route bar in future versions of the app.
    Bydandie wrote: »
    The most glaring omission though is the inability to enter a new destination within the CarPlay interface which is simply unforgivable.
    Searching for addresses is not possible through the Apple CarPlay® interface, and must be done on the phone. Searching for Parking and Petrol Stations is available via the menu.

Thanks, lampard

All those months waiting and it’s missing what is basic functionality on other Nav apps integrated to CarPlay within weeks of its launch - Sygic being the most notable to whom you provide mapping and live traffic.

One should be able to enter destinations and adjust routes from the CarPlay integrated screen whilst on the move. That’s the point of CarPlay. It’s supposed to remove the necessity to touch the phone itself whilst on the move. Making adjustments to the screen integrated into the car’s dashboard in the same way one would do to the radio or heating in the same screen is considered entirely within the law.

The current speed provided via GPS should also be visible on the screen.

Again, this is something any other CarPlay Nav App can manage.

This is a very poor show given the length of time it’s taken TomTom to develop.

A moot point really as I’ve already given up on your App and have gone back to using Sygic.
  • Bydandie
    Bydandie Registered Users Posts: 27
    Prominent Wayfarer
    To be viable, the CarPlay version needs to show current speed, limit, distance and time to destination and average speed whey in an average speed area.
    Unfortunately, the CarPlay® User Interface templates do not allow for the route bar in its current form. We are investigating ways to incorporate the information and features of the route bar in future versions of the app.
    The most glaring omission though is the inability to enter a new destination within the CarPlay interface which is simply unforgivable.
    Searching for addresses is not possible through the Apple CarPlay® interface, and must be done on the phone. Searching for Parking and Petrol Stations is available via the menu.

Thanks, lampard

The top item has been implemented in Waze via the CarPlay interface.

The bottom item has been implemented in Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze via the CarPlay interface.

I suggest you get better developers, as the excuse of CarPlay doesn’t hold water.
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 388
    Supreme Pioneer
    I have not downloaded GO v2 nor do I have CarPlay.

However, if I had both, surely it is not unreasonable to switch on the car, have the radio switch on and automatically connect to the iPhone and then manually or even automatically start GO on the CarPlay system and have the CarPlay version of TomTom replicate everything that standalone GO can do?

In addition I’d want it to allow change of destination (address, POI, mapcode, longitude latitude, etc) whilst on the move as my passenger i.e. my wife is just as able to operate GO as I am.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,860
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    HI @PrivateerUK

I have a Carplay unit in my Golf and the only way to connect my Phone too it is by cable connection into the USB socket in the car.

Regarding your second paragraph your passenger can change the destination address using the phone including via Mapcode and Long/Lat. all while you are driving and the CarPlay unit is connected. You cannot do it using menus via the CarPlay. The changes made on the phone will show on CarPlay. If you have preplanned some destinations and saved them in Recent Destinations on your Phone App the you can select them from a menu option within CarPlay.

There are some things you have been able to do in the Android App for some time that were not possible on the old OIS Mobile Go App or the current one. As Tomtom have these facilities in the Android App the assumption is that maybe Apple system is preventing them at the moment because why offer the functions to some customers based on their phones system..

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    HI @PrivateerUK

Some on here expressed an interest in what the Average cameras system is on the Tomtom App. . I have been through the Dartford Tunnel today and they have them there. This is what what the Tomtom App did.

Whilst using the App when on the Phone there is a route bar there is not one in CarPlay. In CarPlay It shows Camera Icons on the road in the map and as you approach them also verbally advise the type of camera in advance, if set to do so, It displays top left of the screen the Normal Speed limit for the road and the Road appears to be coloured red between the Average cameras, but I have to absolutely verify that was why it showed red. It frequently verbally reminded me that I was in an Average speed cameras Zone whilst I was in it and it Flags against the displayed Speed Limit sign if I am exceeding the limit. It does not indicate by how much I am exceeding the speed limit and It does not show what my average speed Is in the Zone.

Doug

• Bydandie
    Bydandie Registered Users Posts: 27
    Prominent Wayfarer
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @PrivateerUK

Some on here expressed an interest in what the Average cameras system is on the Tomtom App. . I have been through the Dartford Tunnel today and they have them there. This is what what the Tomtom App did.

Whilst using the App when on the Phone there is a route bar there is not one in CarPlay. In CarPlay It shows Camera Icons on the road in the map and as you approach them also verbally advise the type of camera in advance, if set to do so, It displays top right of the screen the Normal Speed limit for the road and the Road appears to be coloured red between the Average cameras, but I have to absolutely verify that was why it showed red. It frequently verbally reminded me that I was in an Average speed cameras Zone whilst I was in it and it Flags against the displayed Speed Limit sign if I am exceeding the limit. It does not indicate by how much I am exceeding the speed limit and It does not show what my average speed Is in the Zone.

Doug

Thanks Doug, so it’s still not showing the average speed limit for the zone?
  • kenrich
    kenrich Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    Really disappointed in the CarPlay integration like everyone else has mentioned above. When I tested it today locally, the map barely had any detail in it like you get on Google Maps and Waze. It looks terrible and having to set your destination on your phone first is very user friendly. On Waze and Google Maps I can do it from the screen or via voice.

Also the angle of the map in 3D mode seems low so you can't see far ahead. Will try mess about with it again tomorrow but really disappointed in initial try.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    HI @Bydandie

Using the TT app the signposted speed limit for the section of road you approach and leave the Tunnel on is shown on the CarPlay screen and I take to be an indiction of the average speed requirement . That figure is mostly 50.

The only other indications regarding Speed were those displayed on the overhead gantries which change depending on the traffic density.as you approach the tunnel and were as low as 30 when I was there.. I am not aware that any Satnav is linked to those gantries and so changes the Speed limit displayed by an App or Satnav to match the gantry figures..

As I advised you I also did the trip with Waze and I got no indication of what my average speed was although it does show the same speed limit as the TT app but also shows my actual speed . I got no verbal warning about cameras but they are visible as icons along the road on the map like the TT along with a visible message to say they are Average cameras if I look at the CarPlay screen.

I would say there is very little notification of there being Average cameras on that section of road and I and others around here view the cameras as normal fixed cameras not average speed ones.

I think there are some average speed cameras on the M20 for the road works. I will see if I can get there to try again.

Doug
  • Palferman
    Palferman Registered Users Posts: 129
    Supreme Navigator
    Hi @DougLap
    So are you saying that in an area with an average speed camera the new app gives you no indication of your average speed through the limits like my 5000 used to
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Palferman

It did not when I was at the Dartford Tunnel. and was travelling through what it told me was an Average Camera zone. It also did not show it on Waze either.

The thing that is intriguing me is that I cannot remember seeing the Average speed indication on my GO5000 for a very long time. I can remember seeing it on my GO5000 but a long time ago. Is it still showing it or has it been quietly dropped as I also don't recall seeing it on my GO Camper which is GO6200 based.. Maybe someone can advise.

Doug
  • Darrenjuggins
    Darrenjuggins Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer
    Hi All,

I’ve been testing the Beta out over the last serval months and the V2.0 is the same as the final Beta, with a few visual tweaks.

The Car Play interface Apple offer is very good, but limiting to developers.

I’ve compared all the apps on offer since having car play.

I’ve even parallel tested my 620 and 5100 against the mapping.

What I can say is he mapping (once you’ve entered the destination on the phone! I’ve got to agree with another poster, that the ability to enter a destination on the touch screen is a large omission... whilst it’s legal to be stopped and touching the car touch screen, it’s actually an offence in the UK to be parked with the engine running and have your phone in your hand, in addition, most car play set ups are wired, so not the easiest thing to do, especially if you have hidden your phone to stop you picking it up, this seems a be a weird omission, especially when all the other car play mapping applications allow you to enter info on the car play screen on your stereo.. rant over).

The verbal communications are very good and tally with the hardware units....

The omission of the progress bar is a car play issue at present and also the average speed zones, well without a Speedo showing and your average speed, it misses the mark, unlike the hardware units.

At present, whilst I like the fact it now works in CarPlay mode, the best I can do is run my car play in tandem with my hardware units which are so much more informative.

Finally, the speedo missing, I have seen this displayed in my synic version, but it is laggy and takes time to show the correct speed when accelerating, it’s ok when maintaining a steady speed, probably the issue why others haven’t added it.

The Tom Tom does show the speed you should be doing, but you will have to relay on it changing colour and telling you off verbally.

My view of the Beta and the actual release...

A good starting point, if it had come out when the others released..... ah but it didn’t..... so what I hope for is with the CarPlay revamp, Tom Tom can get on the development curve early and make this app excel... at the moment it’s only 60% that of the hardware versions....

Kindest Regards
    Darren

• PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @DougLap and everyone else

Many thanks for taking the time to post your findings of v2 and CarPlay.

At the moment CarPlay is hypothetical to me as I don’t have it but I understand a lot of people do have CarPlay and I guess that at some time in the future I will get it.

We can only hope that TomTom have been forced by the market to release a copy that’s CarPlay ready and that they will continue to develop and improve CarPlay functionality with later releases in the not too distant future!

Let’s also hope that TomTom improves the other features that we’ve asked for now that they have shown that they’re still developing TomTom GO Mobile/Navigator.

Regards,
  • PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    @DougLap,

You mention Average Speed Cameras in the Dartford Tunnel, how can any SatNav give accurate speed and accurate average speed in a tunnel or does the unit retain GPS reception even in the tunnel?

Also, is there any lag on v2 at road junction or roundabouts, either in CarPlay or standalone?

Thanks,
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @PrivateerUK

The Cameras are within the last mile as you approach the tunnel.

Doug
  • PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    The Cameras are within the last mile as you approach the tunnel.
    Thanks @DougLap, can you tell that I don’t use the Dartford Tunnel? =)

Regards,
  • DougLap
    Superuser

Lucky you. We live near it.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    HI @PrivateerUK

On further investigtion the Tomtom seems to indicate the following

Travelling North the first Average camera is South of the Tunnel at the Start of a 1/2 mile section with a Speed limit of 60mph

The next Average Speed camera is at the Start of a 1/2 mile section which has a speed limit of 50mph

Then currently there is a Mobile Camera showing along this section

The next Average speed camera is at the Start of a 1.5mile section which includes going through the Tunnel and is 50mph with the End camera just after you exit the Tunnel.

I can confirm whilst the App on the Phone does the CarPlay screen does not show the red Seconds/Minutes delay on a route but the Estimated time of arrival etc is the same as on the App screen on the phone. As the app is not suggesting there is a quicker route so that is still the quickest with the delay. I have not yet seen what happens if there is a quicker route. I did have one on the App on the phone with the option to select yes to accept the alternative but I was not connected to CarPlay at the time.

Doug
  • PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @DougLap

I’m afraid that I use a third party app and database for fixed and mobile speed cameras, as I find it more accurate than TomTom’s own, especially for temporary aver speed cameras in roadworks.
    HI @PrivateerUK

On further investigtion the Tomtom seems to indicate the following

Travelling North the first Average camera is South of the Tunnel at the Start of a 1/2 mile section with a Speed limit of 60mph

The next Average Speed camera is at the Start of a 1/2 mile section which has a speed limit of 50mph

Then currently there is a Mobile Camera showing along this section

The next Average speed camera is at the Start of a 1.5mile section which includes going through the Tunnel and is 50mph with the End camera just after you exit the Tunnel.

I can confirm whilst the App on the Phone does the CarPlay screen does not show the red Seconds/Minutes delay on a route but the Estimated time of arrival etc is the same as on the App screen on the phone.

. I have not yet seen what happens if there is a quicker route. I did have one on the App on the phone with the option to select yes to accept the alternative but I was not connected to CarPlay at the time.
    It will be interesting to see how or if CarPlay suggests a new route to avoid traffic.

Regards,
  • markcirignano
    markcirignano Registered Users Posts: 9
    Master Explorer
    I 100% agree TomTom silly enough to leave out > type address etc on your iPhone for it to work on Carplay!! Lol what are they thinking?

Also where is traffic bar? Omg why on earth did TomTom even become interested to release a Carplay version if they can't manage to put simple things like Sygic, Waze and Google and Apple maps!! Very wired and confused. : 🙄
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    HI @markcirignano

The following was posted by a Tomtom employee the other day mentioning the Route Bar.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1649894/#Comment_1649894

Doug
  • Franz_Rider
    Franz_Rider Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Explorer

Thanks, lampard

All those months waiting and it’s missing what is basic functionality on other Nav apps integrated to CarPlay within weeks of its launch - Sygic being the most notable to whom you provide mapping and live traffic.

One should be able to enter destinations and adjust routes from the CarPlay integrated screen whilst on the move. That’s the point of CarPlay. It’s supposed to remove the necessity to touch the phone itself whilst on the move. Making adjustments to the screen integrated into the car’s dashboard in the same way one would do to the radio or heating in the same screen is considered entirely within the law.

A moot point really as I’ve already given up on your App and have gone back to using Sygic.

Does Sygic allow traffic to be displayed on the Carplay display?
  • Sf73
    Sf73 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler

Thanks, lampard

Does Sygic allow traffic to be displayed on the Carplay display?

It does, yes. You can see the number of minutes delay on the current route. When you program the route you can choose from up to 3 different options. It also shows any delay in each option so you can choose.

The quality of the mapping graphics is far superior to TomTom's fisherprice style.

And crucially, you can enter destinations directly to the CarPlay screen.

I cannot understand how Sygic launched its TomTom driven CarPlay App last year and yet TomTom months later have launched what is surely in terms of functionality the worst CarPlay navigation App on the market.

They've never apologised for communicating so poorly with customers throughout the wait either.

TomTom are clearly living in a bubble where they believe their products and customer service are better than anything else available.

They'll learn the hard way unless they start listening to the customer.
  • brucey
    brucey Registered Users Posts: 193
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Tried the app this morning directly against 6200 and whilst I like the lane guidance on junctions the missing traffic information on 3D driving screen makes it hard to use and is a glaring omission.

As far as I can see the only way to see any delays is to toggle between 2 and 3D screens and zoom out which is a distraction.

For me to consider this app and get rid of the PND, I’d need this along with integration with my drive app as well as being to check the future roads used (as a list) ahead of getting to turn.

Even as a starting point I’d consider this disappointing and hope the app is improved pretty quickly otherwise I don’t see to many takers.

I presume the beta testers must have fed some of this information back already and the TomTom analyst thought it not important?
  • daletowe
    daletowe Registered Users Posts: 43
    Renowned Wayfarer
    edited June 2019
    daletowe wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks! Thats fixed it. I *almost* thought of trying that, but as I've never had to do that for any other App, I just dismissed it as probably not going to fix it. But it did - thanks. Can't wait to try it tomorrow...

I’d be interested in your thoughts, especially if you go through ash average speed zone. I think that the people designing this haven’t driven this in the UK at all. At present, Waze is everything that TomTom Go could be, just without the excellent routing that TomTom provides. And now Waze is getting Siri integration with CarKit in iOS 13 according to the WWDC that has just finished. 😢

After using it for a good couple of hundred kilometers, I can conclude that I am very disappointed, and after such a long wait, am going back to Waze.

Here's whats wrong:

The new TomTom map is terrible. Its like a blank canvas. I drove from Johannesburg to Pretoria the other day (about 60km through built -up and open areas), and for most of the journey I had an almost blank screen with a blue line through it. Almost no other detail. In contrast Waze and Google offered maps with rich detail. All kinds of side roads, place names, business names, other points of interest.

Its still very difficult to find addresses and points of interest. In South Africa at least, 8/10 times a search in TomTom shows no results, whereas you just type in the first few letters into Waze or Google and you've found what you're looking for.

There is zero indication of the traffic conditions further up your route. Waze again gives rich detail, including the current average speed on roads. Google at least colour-codes the distance to destination (orange with a light delay, red for a major delay).

But the biggest eye-opener for me is the traffic-based routing. I genuinely believed TomTom still had a significant advantage here. But not having used TomTom for 6 months (while waiting for the CarPlay functionality) I suddenly find that if I open all 3 apps on CarPlay, the routing, distance and time to destination, etc., are all now remarkably similar. In other words traffic and routing are no longer TomTom's killer features.

Given that that traffic-based routing functionality are now all pretty similar on all the apps, there is simply no case to use TomTom anymore. Waze is vastly superior in every aspect, and its traffic/routing is at about 97% of the level of TomTom. During my test, both Waze and (unusually, because I don't recall this in the past) TomTom both offered some very dodgy routes. For example TomTom will suggest a route which I know from experience is not optimal. And sure enough when I deviate onto the known better route, the time and distance to the destination update to show shorter distance/times! So why TomTom would suggest a longer, further route, who knows? Waze also quite often does this, TomTom didn't do this very often, but now they both seem to be about on par with relatively frequent sub-optimal route suggestions.

Finally Waze supports time-based road closures (a very big thing for crime-ridden South Africa where whole suburbs close up for the night) and TomTom doesn't. So TomTom will happily try and route you through closed areas during certain times, when Waze is "intelligent" enough not to. And lets not even go near how easy it is to edit/update the Waze map, and how its almost impossible to do the same on TomTom.

So I have deleted the TomTom app - I have no use for it any longer. I may look more carefully at Sygic (for out of signal trips), but unless TomTom completely overhaul their app, as far as I'm concerned, its dead in the water. Given that they are at least 18 months behind all the others, I'm not holding my breath in terms of any major improvements any time soon. I might check back in a year or two's time, but for now, Waze is my navigation app (on the phone and for Carplay) of choice.

And bonus - its completely free. The irony here is that Waze is so much better that I'd actually happily pay for it. I wouldn't bother with TomTom's app even if it was completely free - the other (already free) alternatives are all just so much better now that the gap between TomTom's traffic/routing advantage has basically closed.
This discussion has been closed.