TomTom Go v2.0 now out — TomTom Community

TomTom Go v2.0 now out

BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
It's been released on the App store 😊

«1

Answers

  • daletowedaletowe Posts: 43 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Except it doesn't work - or at least the single most anticipated feature - Apple CarPlay - doesn't work. The app downloads fine and all, but its does not show up on CarPlay.
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited June 2019
    So here's my comments so far:

    - I have no idea why the UK is split into south central and north, it makes no sense at all
    - Recent destinations doesn't port across from the previous version of the app

    I'll add more when I get the chance to use it today
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Well the issue where you can't add a new destination from the CarPlay screen is still there, which is something that every other free navigation tool can accommodate. When you try and enter a destination from the phone instead, it tells you that you need to confirm that you are not driving! :astonished:
  • FunFun Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    So far I am annoyed by this update. Particularly around the splitting up of maps.
    Previously I had all of Europe in one simple easy download. Now it seems I've lost all of it and have to manually download each country and it’s even worse since most of the major EU countries are all spilt up as well.
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Cant believe you still can't have time remaining and distance remaining show at the same time.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    HI @DavidQPR

    In CarPlay mode I get, depending on settings, Time of arrival, Time period until arrival and Distance to Destination. In Non CarPlay mode I get Time of Arrival and because of settings it also alternates between Driving time until arrival and Distance to Destination.

    Doug
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    daletowe wrote: »
    Except it doesn't work - or at least the single most anticipated feature - Apple CarPlay - doesn't work. The app downloads fine and all, but its does not show up on CarPlay.

    It works fine on CarPlay for me?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    Hi @daletowe

    Did not work immediately for me when I downloaded it but did after I turned the Phone Off and On again.

    Doug
  • DavidQPRDavidQPR Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @DavidQPR

    In CarPlay mode I get, depending on settings, Time of arrival, Time period until arrival and Distance to Destination. In Non CarPlay mode I get Time of Arrival and because of settings it also alternates between Driving time until arrival and Distance to Destination.

    Doug
    Thats what I mean, I have not tried CarPlay yet but in non CarPlay mode it still alternates. There is so much room to display them both it just makes no sense
  • daletowedaletowe Posts: 43 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @daletowe

    Did not work immediately for me when I downloaded it but did after I turned the Phone Off and On again.

    Doug

    Awesome, thanks! Thats fixed it. I *almost* thought of trying that, but as I've never had to do that for any other App, I just dismissed it as probably not going to fix it. But it did - thanks. Can't wait to try it tomorrow...
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    daletowe wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks! Thats fixed it. I *almost* thought of trying that, but as I've never had to do that for any other App, I just dismissed it as probably not going to fix it. But it did - thanks. Can't wait to try it tomorrow...

    I’d be interested in your thoughts, especially if you go through ash average speed zone. I think that the people designing this haven’t driven this in the UK at all. At present, Waze is everything that TomTom Go could be, just without the excellent routing that TomTom provides. And now Waze is getting Siri integration with CarKit in iOS 13 according to the WWDC that has just finished. 😢
  • daletowedaletowe Posts: 43 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited June 2019
    Bydandie wrote: »
    At present, Waze is everything that TomTom Go could be, just without the excellent routing that TomTom provides. And now Waze is getting Siri integration with CarKit in iOS 13 according to the WWDC that has just finished. 😢

    You've hit the nail on the head. TomTom's one and only "killer feature" is its awesome traffic/routing. In every other aspect it now lags behind. Critically, its all but useless in searching and find places. Its absolutely normal to type in a point of interest or address (I'm in South Africa, btw) and TomTom comes up with nothing. Type the 1st 2-3 letters of what you're looking for into Waze or Google Maps and they find it instantly.

    Waze is exceptional ... except unfortunately its routing is not that great -which is obviously a big issue. Its ok, but not as good as TomTom. But Waze just has so much more functionality, and now that they've added speed limit/current speed to the CarPlay version, and recently music integration from the App, its even better... and completely free... and regularly updated. Community map edits in Waze are a pleasure, unlike TomToms, where a root canal is a viable alternative.

    Anyway, I'm hoping TomTom might now take their App (and most importantly the feedback they get from the community) a bit more seriously, because they have the potential to create something fantastic and to dominate the market (I think most people will pay for a genuinely superior product). But I'm not holding my breath. They seem to have become non-responsive to their customers, if not downright dismissive and arrogant. Lets see ... still hopeful.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @daletowe

    Like you I will be testing it tomorrow. I tried it locally this evening and certainly preferred the experience to Waze and Google. On a recent trip with Google it missed a number of cameras on the M25 and its directional information I found lacking.

    I have to visit a hospital tomorrow morning so I opened the App and typed Hospital in Search. Scrolled down the list and selected the one I was looking for and it was spot on for routing. In the morning I will connect the Phone and Open Carplay in the car. Tap the screen Tap Recent Destinations and select the Hospitall. I should then be on my way.

    Doug
  • Sf73Sf73 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    edited June 2019
    To be viable, the CarPlay version needs to show current speed, limit, distance and time to destination and average speed whey in an average speed area.
    If it can’t do all this then Sygic is still the best alternative. Offers all these features and more whilst also using TomTom live traffic and mapping.

    Compared to the Android version of the TomTom Go App, the iPhone version has always been lacking. Looks like this new version of it isn’t much better.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    Hi @Sf73

    The CarPlay version does not show your Speed, you have a speedometer in front of you for that, it shows your current roads speed limit, The Estimated time of arrival and the Driving Time to Destination and distancebut cannot confirm Average speed as have not been through any today.

    The new app accepts Mapcodes which you can Cut and Pasted from the Mapcode app.

    Doug
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Sf73

    The CarPlay version does not show your Speed, you have a speedometer in front of you for that, it shows your current roads speed limit, The Estimated time of arrival and the Driving Time to Destination and distancebut cannot confirm Average speed as have not been through any today.

    The new app accepts Mapcodes which you can Cut and Pasted from the Mapcode app.

    Doug

    We need to realise that the non-CarPlay interface shows current speed and average speed within an average speed zone. The CarPlay interface doesn't.

    Waze shows how current speed can be shown along with the speed limit, and the average speed shown is useful.

    The most glaring omission though is the inability to enter a new destination within the CarPlay interface which is simply unforgivable.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    HI @Bydandie

    I trust you only enter destinations within a CarPlay interface when you are parked. If you have a passenger they can enter details into the App via the phone whilst you are driving.

    Doug
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited June 2019
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @Bydandie

    I trust you only enter destinations within a CarPlay interface when you are parked. If you have a passenger they can enter details into the App via the phone whilst you are driving.

    Doug

    Erm I use speech like every other nav app with a CarPlay interface? Not sure of the point you're making?

    Unless of course you think that destinations should only be entered with the phone disconnected from the car?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    HI @Bydandie

    No I was referring to the typing of stuff into the App via the car play screen. I have had intermittent success with speech recognition in Google and Waze. All of which I have done whilst parked when on my own.

    When parked you can type the data into the App via the phone whilst it is still attached to the car and working in CarPlay. If you have a passenger they can do it whilst you are driving..

    I have just had a look at a couple of things.

    I typed Hospital into the TT app and only had to scroll down about 8 Hospitals to find the one I am going to tomorrow. Neither Waze or Sygic were as quick as apart from in one the second Hospital offered was in Spain I had to type the hospitals full name to get it. Routing fine.

    Re average cameras. I have not been through any today but I have spotted that if I do a route via the Dartford tunnel it displays about 4 cameras on the route leading to the tunnel, 2 are labelled Average speed and 1 is a red Light cameras. Well have to see what it displays when I drive through some time.

    Doug
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    HI @Bydandie

    No I was referring to the typing of stuff into the App via the car play screen. I have had intermittent success with speech recognition in Google and Waze. All of which I have done whilst parked when on my own.

    When parked you can type the data into the App via the phone whilst it is still attached to the car and working in CarPlay. If you have a passenger they can do it whilst you are driving..

    I have just had a look at a couple of things.

    I typed Hospital into the TT app and only had to scroll down about 8 Hospitals to find the one I am going to tomorrow. Neither Waze or Sygic were as quick as apart from in one the second Hospital offered was in Spain I had to type the hospitals full name to get it. Routing fine.

    Re average cameras. I have not been through any today but I have spotted that if I do a route via the Dartford tunnel it displays about 4 cameras on the route leading to the tunnel, 2 are labelled Average speed and 1 is a red Light cameras. Well have to see what it displays when I drive through some time.

    Doug

    You're wholly missing the point, in order to select a new destination from the CarPlay interface you have to go out of the CarPlay interface and into the phone after accepting you are not driving or disconnect the phone.

    In what world is this a good UX design when I can select new parking and petrol stations from the CarPlay interface?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    Hi @Bydandie

    I agree that is what you have to do except under two circumstances.

    If you have presaved Destinations as Favourites or in Recent destinations you can do the change of destination in the CarPlay interface. Should you be doing that whilst driving?

    If you have a passenger then whilst you drive they can change the routing and yes they have to easily use the phone to do it after they have advised the app the driver is not involved.

    If the driver is alone then he should park up and he can easily use the phone to make the changes.

    It would not surprise me if in the future there are restrictions as to what you can do in CarPlay whilst the Car is moving and so when and If Tomtom make the changes you are advocating you will only be able to do them when stationary. I include the use of Siri if that should it become possible.

    Doug
  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Bydandie

    I agree that is what you have to do except under two circumstances.

    If you have presaved Destinations as Favourites or in Recent destinations you can do the change of destination in the CarPlay interface. Should you be doing that whilst driving?

    If you have a passenger then whilst you drive they can change the routing and yes they have to easily use the phone to do it after they have advised the app the driver is not involved.

    If the driver is alone then he should park up and he can easily use the phone to make the changes.

    It would not surprise me if in the future there are restrictions as to what you can do in CarPlay whilst the Car is moving and so when and If Tomtom make the changes you are advocating you will only be able to do them when stationary. I include the use of Siri if that should it become possible.

    Doug

    I'm really struggling with your logic here, I can set a destination via the phone interface but not the CarPlay one. My use case is I sit in my car before setting off, plug my.phone in and cannot enter it via the CarPlay interface.

    You obviously feel this is foolish, yet I guarantee it is a use case that most will do. The rest of your responses just appear to try and defend Tomtom with no real rationale behind it?

    Given that all recent destinations are wiped during the software update, and most destinations for a satnav are not common, the CarPlay interface is not fit for purpose.

    I welcome your thoughts when you drive through an average speed zone without the speed limit showing.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,291
    Superuser
    edited June 2019
    Hi @Bydandie

    I don't think it is foolish at all. I accept that at the moment Tomtom don't have full interaction in that you cannot do all actions using the CarPlay interface as you can with others. I can understand that many would want more CarPlay integration. I advised that at the moment whilst moving you can use the Phone for some of the Activities provided you confirm you are not the driver when the car is moving and the CarPlay interface for a few others when moving.. I also said that at the moment if you preplan destinations this will enable you to use the CarPlay interface to reach destinations. These destinations are quickly deleted from the list when no longer required but only via the phone as you don't want to have to spend time scrolling through a long list when searching them in CarPlay...

    I used Google the other week for a long trip and it did not show the Speed limit of the roads we were using, it missed several cameras on the M25. and often the directions given were poor and late. I consider these more important than being able to speak to the App etc..

    I have to take someone to a hospital tomorrow and I found the destination quicker in TT on the phone than I could in Waze, Apple Maps and Sygic. I have not tried the Google speech option . One of the apps second offer for the hospital I wanted was in Spain the others were generally local to me but not the one required and I had to type in far more address detail to get the required result. Apple Maps has not found it yet..I have a Golf with their nav system. Don't even think about relying on that as the routing is unbelievable at times..

    Eventually it would be my expectation that Tomtom would look to expand the interface on the CarPlay screen but in the meantime with the odd exception you have to use the phone. I would hope that if the CarPlay becomes fully active that people would use it sensibly..

    The update did delete all the recent destinations but that may not be always the case, we shall have to see. I am not trying to defend Tomtom and I am sure they will want to add to the apps capability in line as a minimum with the options that are available in the TT Android app but were not in the old IOS App or this one and have them operable in CarPlay.

    I have a concern that making so many activities readily available on the CarPlay facility that will work whilst the car is moving encourages actions that can results in the driver not watching the road as is needed. I also said that I would not be surprised if there are restrictions imposed in the future unless you are stationary. When you have been within a foot of killing a six year old girl who ran into the road because I was watching the road.and reacted immediately you may understand my feelings. My wife sat next to me said "Thank God you were driving" as her reactions would not have been quick enough to not have seriously injured or killed her and a chap at the side of the road asked me if I was alright and said that he could not believe I stopped in time.

    I find it amusing that you Tag my comments with disagree really because you think the app should be doing more from the off. All I have done is advised what can and cannot be done at the moment.using CarPlay and where you will have to use the phone. I have also said that I anticipate that more may well be capable of being done via CarPlay. The only negative I have expressed is what could be the result of making so many possibilities readily available whilst the driver should be watching the road.

    Doug

  • BydandieBydandie Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Its a simple as this Doug, I click disagree because I disagree with your comments. I’m not asking for an option to select a destination whilst driving (even though this options already exists within the CarPlay interface). I’m asking for the for the option to select a new destination prior to setting off, saying it’s bad UX design. I stand by those comments, had fed them back and hope they are resolved.

    Of course, the current speed and average speed can be addressed by looking at the speedo and the current average speed can be observed. If the phone interface didn’t show these it wouldn’t be an issue. But they are and TomTom will rightly be held up against their own phone interface when assessing their CarPlay one.

    It’s only by constructive criticism will TomTom evolve. It’s feasible that all these issues will be resolved prior to mass market adoption and that TomTom will adopt the Siri integration currently planned for Waze before the iOS 13 beta ends too.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,143 Moderator
    Sf73 wrote: »
    To be viable, the CarPlay version needs to show current speed, limit, distance and time to destination and average speed whey in an average speed area.
    Unfortunately, the CarPlay® User Interface templates do not allow for the route bar in its current form. We are investigating ways to incorporate the information and features of the route bar in future versions of the app.
    Bydandie wrote: »
    The most glaring omission though is the inability to enter a new destination within the CarPlay interface which is simply unforgivable.
    Searching for addresses is not possible through the Apple CarPlay® interface, and must be done on the phone. Searching for Parking and Petrol Stations is available via the menu.

    Thanks, lampard
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0