TOM TOM Start 25 bricked — TomTom Community

TOM TOM Start 25 bricked

Hi,

I tried to make a full update of ma grand's ma TOM TOM Start 25. I think now it is bricked.

Some start make it full reboot,
Some start finally goes to a black shutdown screen.
Most of the time (50%) I get a gray screen with 3 gear rolling for ever. (funny it look like a planetary gear reducer. Any way)

I tried to go to the recovery mode. But I can't have any black screen display with white text on it. Even when I tried to fresh boot and maintain power button for a will after drum's sound pop's. I also tried multiples combination of power one and release at "perfect timing". Fail.

When I connect this device, with the small gear rolling, to a non-hub USB port of my computer get nothing appear in device manager (and USBLyser can't see any new device connected). Tried multiples, ports, multiples cables, multiples computer. Nothing

I'm not questioning the powerful of MyDrive Connect software, but if it don't have peripheral address to discuss with, i pretty sure it can't get my device back.

If any one have useful hint or precess I don't know yet to tried I'm interested.

Thank for those who have read this. And thank in advance for any people who gonna reply :-)

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    Hi @dodonny

You say that 50% of the time you get a screen with a revolving gear wheel. This isnormally the screen you get after you have got the white letter screen and done the 3 taps . So when you get that screen have you just connected the TT unit to see whether it eventually responds.

Have a look at the numerous videos listed at the beginning of the following and see if any can help you.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034175/list-of-support-videos-drive#latest

Good luck

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    Hi

As Doug says it looks like you have already initiated Recovery Mode at bullet-point 7... For Recovery Mode to work MyDrive Connect Must have been showing as 'Connected' to the Tomtom Servers...
    See Tomtom FAQ....
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898/kw/Recovery Mode/session/L3RpbWUvMTU1OTM4MjU4My9nZW4vMTU1OTM4MjU4My9zaWQvZlVybWVUY0FHMUVJTjBSak5qMUprUDgwbm5BUl95dFJwWmNidnR1bFVCS016RDRXWnBVVmFZNDFCVXdjNHJWcCU3RUl3cUthZnNkWGozNV80Mlhjd0NvamFKYUhXQ3lMd05GNDd6MExqY2RfT1RxdEc2N29FUEtMMmclMjElMjE=

ATB YFM
  • dodonnydodonny Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, Thanks both of you ! For your answer.

After a will (when writing first post ~10mn). I let the gear rolling. And finally get the "connect to to the computer recovery" display. Now it appear in the device manager but MyDrive connect fail to connect to it half of the time. And the other time it see my device but won't do anything about the recovery.

Thank again !
    edited June 2019
    Maybe there is a way to force update navCore or/and firmware ?

Thanks you in advance
    Now, when i'm patient enough, after about 5 to 10 mn. I got a BIG red cross on the display when trying to connect to the software.

It's boring to see so much devices dying because of the software and not because of the hardware... How many of this one put to the garbage because we just can not put the firmware right back in !!

:'(
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @dodonny

Once you have initiated Recovery Mode it very difficult to stop the process

Maybe try to correct the connection to the Tomtom servers

Disconnect the START 25 from the computer
    If you're using a Windows PC... Delete MyDrive Connect using the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    If you're using a Mac... Surely there must be a Deep Clean Un-installer Program available for a Mac ???
    Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Revo first uninstalls the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal uninstall leaves behind

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it really does help)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Run Mydrive Connect ( You don't have to Login to MyDrive Connect, just have it running in the back ground on the PC Task Bar )
    Connect & Turn on your device...

ATB YFM
    edited June 2019
    So, Thanks for your help, very appreciate. ;)

I do exactly what you wrote. But my issue is deeper. Some time the device stay blocked on the tomtom logo. No mater how many time i wait. Some time I got black screen (off), Some time reboot, some time I got rolling gears.
    But now when i have the luck to get them this end with a big red cross :s

There is a way to get the low level .hex file ? And to push it manually to the rom (micro-controller) inside ? I'm electronic engineer and I'm doing this kind of stuff multiples time a week. I just can't find the data file.
    Superusers
    edited June 2019
    Hi
    @dodonny

A few years ago Microsoft took Tomtom to court and stopped them using the Fat32 filing system and about the same time someone found how to crack and pirate the Maps, so Tomtom locked down the updating system using a secure Network, and as far as i know no one has cracked the system.

Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"

Win7 See... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Win10 See… https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73187-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend-windows-10-a.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"

Also turn off any Screen savers any other Power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for you hint. But I have a fix computer and this parameter was already in the not suspend mode.

This is the screen after 10 mn of rolling gear ! Is it normal ?

o3hj32o05uiy.jpg

And some time I have this one :

ayv32vkubuul.jpg

This append even if i don't plug any usb cable
    edited June 2019
    Ok, what option I have to recover this product back as it was before I tried to update it ?
    Because, before this update it working great and i don't think my grand'ma want to buy a new one and we don't have to, because we have one here and he just need support from TomTom.

Maybe I can open a real support ticket ?

Any way. Thank for you help past an future !
    Superusers
    Hi
    @dodonny

Tomtom Support France
    01 57 32 40 67
    du lundi au vendredi de 09h00 à 17h30

ATB YFM
    Thanks for your support ! I sent question with the internet form instead. If I get no news from here I'll make a call.

Thanks all for your help.
    Some news after a while. Support don't help me at all. They just refused to do anything for me because my warranty was past. Even if the issue began with their own update software. So we put this in the back of a drawer and we use G**g** alternative.

Sorry for tomtom but if nobody buy your product now or in the future, it's partially for this kind of behaviors against your customers.

Hardware is fully working, only software are not. This product is now useless.

I wish the worst to this company and I'll never buy any product from them. But thank for everyday people who helped me on this forum.