Why do I get an error when trying to add new maps to Go 5200 Wifi worldmaps with a 32GB memory card — TomTom Community

Why do I get an error when trying to add new maps to Go 5200 Wifi worldmaps with a 32GB memory card

Why do I get an error when trying to add new maps to Go 5200 Wifi worldmaps with a 32GB memory card, it shows I have 5gb of internal memory free and 30gb of Memory card free, it just says oops we have encountered an error please try again. This is a brand new sat nav with the Europe map installed

Best Answer

• davidwilldavidwill Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug, your suggestion helped find the solution. I found that the small map installed fine on the internal memory but when I tried to add a small map to my 32gb it came up with oops we have encountered an error. I then removed the 32gb micro sd card and installed a 16gb card which I luckily had lying around. I then tried adding a map to the micro sd card memory and it worked straight away. So possibly there is an issue with the size of the 32gb card or the card itself. It was brand new it, formatted fine and showed up fine in the memory allocation. At least it works now thank you for your help and suggestions

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,201
    Superuser
    Hi @davidwill

What is make of Memory card.

Have you

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Format memory Card.

Doug
    yes it formatted the memory card and it said the memory is available for maps and data I have also tried resetting the device and starting again it still does not work. It is also an approved Toshiba Micro SD Card
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,857
    Superuser
    @davidwill

See also https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112668/server-busy-tomtom-mydrive-connect-application-outage#latest
    Un-install MyDrive Connect using the Revo Uninstaller

Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Revo first Un-installs the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal Un-install leaves behind
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect
    So far I have not tried to do anything via my laptop I have been using the wifi connection only which should be fine as I have fibre broadband with a good wifi signal
    Still waiting for a reply to my incident by TomTom they are not very quick at responding
    Superuser
    Hi @davidwill

Try the following. Try and load the Venezuela map which is only 29mb.

Why you ask. Well if it loads okay, it will go on the internal memory, then its not the wifi connection that the problem and so the sim card may be the issue..

If you have only one map on the unit, ,for example you only have the European map on it now, if you were to do an update and there was a problem you could finish up with no European map. Because you have a valid map ie Venezuela, on the unit it will able to start and so you can sort the European map problem out. Without the Venezuela map the unit will not start as it needs a valid map to do so. This causes you more difficulties trying to sort the no map situation.before you can do anything.

All the best

Doug
    Superuser
    Hi @davidwill

Have you tried the suggestion in my post. Interested in what happened if you did.

Doug
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Doug, your suggestion helped find the solution. I found that the small map installed fine on the internal memory but when I tried to add a small map to my 32gb it came up with oops we have encountered an error. I then removed the 32gb micro sd card and installed a 16gb card which I luckily had lying around. I then tried adding a map to the micro sd card memory and it worked straight away. So possibly there is an issue with the size of the 32gb card or the card itself. It was brand new it, formatted fine and showed up fine in the memory allocation. At least it works now thank you for your help and suggestions
    Superuser
    Hi @davidwill

Thank you for the information. I have made a note that you were using a Toshiba Card in case that arises again.

I have no idea why but a few lesser known make of memory cards have been known not functioned properly in Tomtom units. If you have the chance to use a Sandisk or Samsung Micro SD Class 10 size 32gb card memory card please let us know how you get on.. They work in mine..

Pleased to hear you are working okay now. =)=)

Doug