My Device continually needs updating — TomTom Community

My Device continually needs updating

Hi, I have a GO 1005 that requires updating at least once a week, sometimes more often. Is this normal? It always states that Speed Camera and QuickGPSfix needs updating and will stop working if not updated (can't find a GPS Lock). Please help. Kind Regards Andy Bailey

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    HI @Andy210163

The Speed cameras data gets update d regularly with new camera sites and Mobile cameras positions and hotspots and Tomtom offer it out on a regular basis. If you miss a few it won't affect the 1005 jsust your wallet if very very unlucky.

The GPX file is I think updated weekly and is a small data file to assist the 1005 locate and lock onto the Sats. If you don't keep reasonably up to date with this then there is a risk it may stop but initially more likely to take longer to lock on to the sats than normal.

Doug
  • Andy210163Andy210163 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug, Thank you for your fast reply, it is very much appreciated. However, I do try and update my unit every week but is getting to the stage that I need to update every couple of days or it will not find a GPS lock. I have done a 40 min drive without getting a GPS lock 2 days after doing an update. To be honest it is making my unit almost unusable.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    Hi @Andy210163

There have been a few problems with the 1005 models because they are struggling with memory problems and indeed the units were freezing. The solution to this problem is to load Mapzones. This is in effect the European map divided up unto about 6 areas. and you download the zone you need and the freed up memory helps the unit work okay.

Can you tell us the first 2 characters of the serial number what map have you got on it, how much free memory you have on the internal memory and if you have an extra memory card in it and the amount of free memory on that .

ALB

Doug
  • Andy210163Andy210163 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi Doug, once again thank you for your reply. I had previously noticed that my device was running short on memory so I changed my map to Western Europe 1 and it states that I have 2000 MB free space. My old Europe map still appears in "My Drive" but is not active. So i do not believe it to be a memory problem. The first 2 characters of my serial number are SA. Thank you for your help, it is very much appreciated. Andy Bailey