Ended up on the wrong website- Scamming- Trying to reach the official support — TomTom Community

Ended up on the wrong website- Scamming- Trying to reach the official support

whysodifficultwhysodifficult Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited May 2019 in Travel lounge
The other day I tried to update via your site and was redirected, ending up at a site called: https://gpsonlinehelp.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDKlqESpUU13LmnWdPrZc-h-UIjeLm2jqYjOYd3JfiMXInMWyqGoAWxoC3FEQAvD_BwE This site led me on a very roundabout pile of bs that they charged $119 USD for their so called assistance. While I figured out how to update myself, they said I had to stop or it wouldn't work, yada yada. It was all a scam just so they could put a program called Any Desk on my computer which they explained was the communication device they used even though we were already communicating. They claim they are your techs for your site....this I do not believe for one moment so correct me if I am wrong. I immediately uninstalled Any Desk and changed all my passwords as I was googling the info while I was listening to them...… I just think you should know they are using your site, your name as a way to access someone's complete information which they are not entitled to. I do not expect you condone this practice. Sorry but I have no other way to contact your company with this information as it is extremely difficult to access any info on TomTom. It would be nice just to be able to have an email address.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,715
    Superuser
    HI @whysodifficult

Thank you for reporting this and I have flagged this to TT personnel.

Doug
  • whysodifficultwhysodifficult Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    While I have that question in mind, I also wish to say how difficult it is to get to the Canadian English site. As soon as I click on Canada, it gives me the French version with no way to get the English....I'm thinking if I need TomTom help where I am, it's looking like it's best to buy some other product other than TomTom, even though I love it.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,715
    Superuser
    Hi @whusodifficult.

Thats odd as I am in the UK and if I go onto he Tomtom main site , not the forum, and scroll down to the bottom of the page it says United Kingdom. If I click on that it then offers countries including Canada and if I click on that then top right it asks French or US English.

Can I ask when you get the French site in the Web address at the top does it have fr_ca if so try changing it to. en_ca.

Doug
    I'll give it a go
    Thanks Doug, after having to reset my password, it took me indeed to the Canadian site. I've been trying to get there for two days :) so now I have the site starred and should be okay. I have to say it's the 3rd time I've had to reset but it seems good now. Thank you.