missing installed maps Europe — TomTom Community

missing installed maps Europe

I was told that my sat nav was obsolete, GO720, I went to use it recently and error message appeared missing maps, I dont understand how preinstalled maps can just disappear , pleas can any one help , I have spoken to tomtom uk I was told that they cannot send me a copy of the old map as all the maps are now upgraded
Tagged:

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,543
    Superuser
    Hi @christopher_15

Did you try to update it and after there were no maps. If so that would suggest that there was an interruption during the update and the map was lost as a result.

Your only hope is that @VikramK can reactivate the map, if he can, and then you may be able to reload it if you have enough room. Your unit only has 2gb of internal memory and a slot for extra memory.

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @christopher_15

Welcome to the community!

A map has been reactivated for your device. Just connect your device to TomTom HOME and it should be offered for download.

Regards
    Vikram :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hello VikramK
    thanks for your reply as I write I am in the proccess of reinstalling my missing maps,
    off topic. a long time ago I bought and downloaded the maps of North America, as I was visiiting My Son. recently when my maps went missing I installed the maps of USA they would work a treat if I was there., I could not understand why my maps went missing I tried all areas I n the end , last resort the forum , got a result thanks, I accept the time has moved on and that my 720 does not have the capacity, why does someone not state the size of SD card to install to download these maps, I n the end I have used a 4GB card which is downloading . will give further details as and when.
    Thanks
    Christopher_15
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My Sat nav still works now after the update, it has taken some time for it to get back to where it was. I am pleased , it is still working, , theses days I dont drive as far ,as I used to,
    . originally I bought it to stop me having to look at maps while driving, also the motoring laws have changed to stop people phoning and being distracted while driving
    but I have found it very useful, which Is why I was upset that the maps disappeared
    Thank you Vikram & tomtom
  • stevebinder44stevebinder44 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    hello. i got my tomtomgo in 2009 (with europe and north america maps) and never bothered with map updates. today i bought a new europe map that had to go on memory card because of size. after update (and even after trying delete and reinstall) europe is gone. all i can access is north america, there is no other map to switch to.

after several frustrating hours and no phone hotline i hope for help here now :-(
    Superuser
    Hi @stevebinder44

Does this help.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

If your maps are not showing in the PC software then let us know and then we can as one of the Mods to review your unit on their Servers.

Doug
    edited July 21
    did this twice already... delete from device, delete from computer, install again - nothing. i only see the US map on the internal memory but nothing from the card mem.

my tomtom user (if you need this) [email protected]

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

edited July 21
    ok sorry, thought that might be nieeded (and cant be used without my 48 character password ;-) ))

still hoping for my bought map to appear though - i am still "stuck" in new york...
    Superuser
    edited July 21
    Hi @stevebinder44

Hopefully @VikramK can look at your unit on the TT servers and sort something out fr you as you are in New York and not at home in Austria.

May have missed him today but he will be back on the forum tomorrow.

Have you tried a new memory card or reformatting the existing memory card in a PC to Fat32 and then when you put it in the Unit reformatting it there for the map. Just in case that causes the map to appear for download. If you do format it in a PC do a Full Format not a Quick format.

Doug
    hi doug. i AM actually in vienna, austria, just my tomtom says im in the big apple ;-)

but you pointed out something maybe essential. for lack of other i used my gopro mem card which has lots of storage. are you saying i should have a separate (clean/empty) one for proper function? that would explain ;)
    Superuser
    edited July 21
    Hi @stevebinder44

Nice one 😂😂

Max size Micro SD card the device will use is 32GB.. I was just wondering if there was a problem with the extra memory card you have fitted, or whether you are not offered the map because you have no room for it if it can't see the card you have in it. Has the card you have in it been formatted by your device to take maps

Which TT unit is it?

Doug
    great... i use a 128gb card which is co-used with go pro... so i understand i will buy a card with 32gb MAX and the try installing again! thanks so far

(its a TT GO from 2009)
    hi doug. i purchased a 32gb card and now it works - thank you for your support!

WHILE I AM HERE, can i ask onemore thing please: for years now my touch screen has somehow "moved" - meaning where i touch it reacts at least a finger to the right of where i touch
    so when i type in names, i can hardly get an A or with numbers a 1. i need to use my fingernail and press hard against the side of the left screen...

anything i can do here with software or is this a mechanical issues...?
    Superuser
    Hi @stevebinder44
    I suspect a mechanical issue. Can you CAREFULLY check all round the edge between the bezel and the screen to see if there is any dirt has got trapped and if so remove it. If you have a screensaver on it that can also be a cause.

Glad your sorted otherwise.

Doug
    nothing stuck there and also no saver active. its literally i press the center and the screen reacts a full centimeter to the right.

so no reset or like that can help (and mechanical service does not merrit the cost with a new one)
    Superuser
    Hi @stevebinder44

There is no reset and also the device is not worth spending money on to try and sort the matter out even if you could as It is likely to need a new screen. What it is likely to cost, if you can find anyone to do it, is likely to be better spent replacing it with a newer model.

Doug