Voice Navigation Instructions

Loubaker
Loubaker Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
My VIA 52 does not give me voice driving instructions when I'm driving, it only tells me when I will reach my destination
It does not tell me when to turn or what lanes to use and when i have reached my destination
it does not tell the distance or any voice instructions

is this VIA 52 default or should there be voice instructions??

Answers

• Loubaker
    Apprentice Seeker
    Also, the Navigation ARROW is too Large, when I am on a small roundabout the Arrow is larger than the display and covers the roundabout I can't see which turning to take because it obscured by the ARROW, I have taken the wrong exit many times because of this, My old TomTom would display the roundabout and all tell which exit to take, but if you have read the above I don't have any voices telling when to exit.

Also, when i am on a roundabout going around the map spins around making it very confusing to what my location on the roundabout is

I am not at all impressed with my VIA 52, I think it was a waste money
  • Loubaker
    Apprentice Seeker
    Also, there is no skyline on the display the road just goes off the top the screen given you no perception of distance or feeling of the real road ahead of you

I don't like the Map display when you are making a long journey, all you can see the big thick line across the map with no descriptions of places you be travelling through

and on that note when travelling through a village there inst any name description of the village you are travelling through no name of towns, much of the time I don't even know were i am because of this and I am having to look for names in them as I'm driving to get an idea of my location

compared with my old TomTom this VIA 52 is rubbish and is dangerous to the driver because of the confusing displays
  • Loubaker
    Apprentice Seeker
    the smiley face on the Left of my user name should be an angry face, because this is how i feel, after driving 147 miles on country roads with bad info
  • Loubaker
    Apprentice Seeker
    My old TomTom Home was working fine before i did the update patch that was recommended by TomTom, it deleted all my data and maps and can't even use it because I get a big red X on turning it on

you broke something that wasn't broken in my eyes and i ended up having to buy this shite VIA 52 which is nowhere as good and the original TomTom Home

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,480
     Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    Loubaker
    Loubaker wrote: »
    My VIA 52 does not give me voice driving instructions when I'm driving, it only tells me when I will reach my destination

From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) ->
    Are any of the Sound Icons... Slashed Through or the Volume Slider set fully to the left

ut3giyunxxhg.jpg

(1).... From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Voices... Choose a Computer Voice a Computer
    Set the next 5 Setting to... 'ON'

(3)... For general improvement using the Tomtom Speed Cam Database over the default settings

Always use a Computer voice...
    Also....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    Set... 'Warning Type' to... Read Allowed... (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu)
    Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON
    The device will now say....
    'Fixed Camera'
    'Mobile Hot Spot'
    'Red-light Camera'
    'Accident Black-spots
    ‘Spoken Traffic delays’

Speed Cams
    If you keep a check on the Traffic-bar... The device gives you a visual Warning of the next Fixed or Mobile Speed Camera many miles before you reach the camera
    Even more info if in the 'Setting menus' you setup a Wide Traffic/Route Bar
    93197384-69ec-4f9d-b7ae-f68a6f82ffae.jpg

ATB YFM

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Loubaker
    Also, there is no skyline on the display the road just goes off the top the screen given you no perception of distance or feeling of the real road ahead of you

I don't like the Map display when you are making a long journey, all you can see the big thick line across the map with no descriptions of places you be travelling through

and on that note when travelling through a village there inst any name description of the village you are travelling through no name of towns, much of the time I don't even know were i am because of this and I am having to look for names in them as I'm driving to get an idea of my location
    Are you driving 3D or 2D rotate indirection of travel
    Are you driving on the North-up Overview planning Map view
    What Zoom setting are you using

Perhaps the user guide would help...
    Via 52 User guide... http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/VIA_52_62/index.htm

ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Loubaker
    My old TomTom Home was working fine before i did the update patch that was recommended by TomTom, it deleted all my data and maps and can't even use it because I get a big red X on turning it on
    I'm not sure if this will help ??? Maybe worth a look....
    Modify Tomtom Home to use older version of tomtom Home... (Mabe usefull for End of Life TomtomDevices with No further map or other updates)

(1)… Uninstall TomTom Home
    (2)… Download last "good" version from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/releases/v2_9_91_411_win.exe
    (3)… Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
    (4)... Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
    C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
    or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
    and find application.ini file
    (5)… Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.99.99.999"
    (6)… Run TomTom Home. It will believe to be running latest version 2.99.99.999 and therefore not pull the update

ATB YFM
  • Loubaker
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you very much for telling how to turn Voices on, it was a nightmare having no voices

I didn't get any instructions on how to use the TomTom Via 25, just a sheet with EN | CE MARK AND RADIO EQUIPMENT DIRECTIVE

thank you for the instruction manual, but have to say my map displays don't look anything like the manual shows and I don't see the buildings as shown in it, my old TomTom XL used to show all the house I was passing in rows down side streets, it showed the fields, ponds and rivers, factories other roads running beside the road you were driving down, this VIA 52 shows none of that and it is very frustrating

I have not been able to get my old TomTom XL working again, I followed your instructions but the program would not except the new version number, I spent 4 hours trying to recover it back to its original state, I found old document saves from 2015 and map maps from 2016 i had bough, I delete TomTom folder that the new program had installed and replaced with old 2015 folder and files hoping it would pick up from the old 2015 files, but the program would not let me use them and insisted that i update, i have tried copying my 2016 maps and files to my old TomTom XL

In the end, now I have given up trying and still very very annoyed that the TomTom XL isn't ever going to work again