Live traffic not working on GO 520

sioseeker
sioseeker Registered Users Posts: 24
Legendary Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I am in France with a GO 5100 using the inbuilt 2G SIM and it works just fine but is very slow and the screen isn't terribly bright but Live Traffic works fine.

I am from Australia and as the 2G network has been discontinued in OZ I was forced to buy a GO 520. I have this device with me here in France as well. Also works just fine but Live Traffic does not. I have tried WiFi, Bluetooth, soft reset etc.

I understand the 2G network in France will be discontinued in 2020 so it would be really useful to get Live Traffic working on the GO 520. The two little cars are greyed out and the error message is "Service Unavailable". Other than a factory reset with no guarantees of success is there any other option I should try?

Many thanks!

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    HI @sioseeker

Just to add to @dhn 's advice you cannot buy traffic to work in another region. The Tomtom units have therir Traffic functionality restricted to the region of original purchase.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,862
    Superuser
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    HI @sioseeker

Just to add to @dhn 's advice you cannot buy traffic to work in another region. The Tomtom units have therir Traffic functionality restricted to the region of original purchase.

Doug
  • sioseeker
    Legendary Explorer
    edited May 2019
    Guys thanks for your prompt responses. Not great news.

Why have world wide maps but not full functionality like alternate route suggestions based on traffic? Daft.

Also why cannot live traffic be purchased for another region? Does anyone know why this restriction exists?

Also daft that my old GO 5100 won't work in OZ, but will work with 2G in France AND has live traffic..

Thanks again for your responses.
  • sioseeker
    Legendary Explorer
    Hmmmmm it seems others have been caught by this misleading feature of no suport for world wide live traffic.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1205878

Sometimes I just don't get what manufacturers are thinking. I had thought Tom Tom had improved after the fiasco some years ago of the Europe map not fitting into the internal memory and users were left with non functional devices.

How can TT have users wanting a feature, and are willing to pay for it, but then not providing it. Marketing genuises.
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    sioseeker wrote: »
    How can TT have users wanting a feature, and are willing to pay for it, but then not providing it. Marketing genuises.
    Their answer is "licensing agreements". Makes no sense to me (agreements can changed, not to mention it works on TomTom app on phone) but that's the supplied reason.