What is the TomTom AmiGO app for iPhone?

PrivateerUK
PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 388
Supreme Pioneer
OK, so I've just seen the new category in the TomTom forum for the "TomTom AmiGO app for iPhone". So is the AmiGO totally new code, or just a facelifted GO Mobile? Is it better i.e. has TomTom listened to its customers and delivered an iOS app that works well and is feature packed?

Why is the new app called AmiGO? Is it really your friend?

Does TomTom AmiGO use NavKit or a new engine?

Regards,
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    Hi @Jürgen,

Thanks for the reply.
  • Lordmorchard
    Lordmorchard Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Amigo could do with a vehicle dimension setting, as not every one drives a small car, and Tomtom is used by a lot of delivery van drivers
  • ManrayUK
    ManrayUK Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    Will the app work with Apple CarPlay eventually?
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    ManrayUK wrote: »
    Will the app work with Apple CarPlay eventually?
    We have a lot of features and functionality to still build before we start looking at CarPlay. We also already have one TomTom app on the platform if you really want this experience, but atm also AmiGO on iOS has a lot less users and their wishes although they include carplay, at the moment are more focused on Avoids, Bluetooth handling, Favourites, Alternative routes and much more.
  • PrivateerUK
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited March 2020
    I have the AmiGO app on my iPhone and I really can't see the point of it! It looks like a cut-down version of TomTom GO Navigation (i.e. it has much less features).

Instead of TomTom working on two similar products (both do Speed Cameras) why doesn't TomTom drop the AmiGO project and use resources to make TomTom GO Navigation much better. e.g. all of the things that we have been asking for on this forum for the last 4 years?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Supreme Pioneer
    @PrivateerUK

Hello there, think about it as a Google Maps alternative where you get basic navigation features just like Google but with TomTom data.

Its' meant to bring the navigation of TomTom to more people who wish to have a free option, which doesn't include all those advanced features.
    Have a great day!

Shawn
  • eddydc
    eddydc Registered Users Posts: 298
    Exalted Navigator
    @PrivateerUK

Hello there, think about it as a Google Maps alternative where you get basic navigation features just like Google but with TomTom data.

Do you have prove that Google maps data is still provided by TT? In the old days Google had an agreement with Tele Atlas, but that's ages ago.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    @eddydc Hi Eddy, Amigo App is basically the same as any other online based GPS App. Google and Tomtom are not the same. They both guide you to destination, online only for now and free. It’s a more modern app than go and it’s nice :) Do you want to test it?
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    @eddydc Hi Eddy, Amigo App is basically the same as any other online based GPS App. Google and Tomtom are not the same. They both guide you to destination, online only for now and free. It’s a more modern app than go and it’s nice :) Do you want to test it?

I've already used/tested Amigo and it doesn't come even near to Waze when it comes to accuracy concerning map data and traffic. On top, it has stupid bugs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    @eddydc HI Eddy, it's still in beta and it's not rolled to the public yet. Also if you wish to not use Waze or TomTom's apps, you can jsut not use them
  • eddydc
    Exalted Navigator
    @eddydc HI Eddy, it's still in beta and it's not rolled to the public yet.

Version 8.194.0 nor the other versions of the last 8 or months aren't beta versions at all

• [Deleted User]
    Supreme Pioneer
    @eddydc The app will be released around 3 weeks later and it's still an early build.

If you don't like the slow progress which I find very good as they really fix my issues. It is not some lazy editing it is really good.

If you prefer to have faster ones, try other navigation apps that are free that have offline maps. or the ones that incorporate open sourced.