GPX, ITN, Routes and Tracks. Have I missed something? — TomTom Community

GPX, ITN, Routes and Tracks. Have I missed something?

FlyingMallardFlyingMallard Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi all,

I've been using my Rider 450 for a year or so and have always created tracks via the TomTom mydrive website. Must say that the website isn't the slickest but I've managed ok.

These tracks which get created as GPX files are incapable of showing stops on them - they only have a an end point - is that correct?

My understanding is that if I want intermediary stops I need to have an ITN file to create a route, not a track. However, the TT website does create ITNs, only GPXs. According to Wiki, ITNs are TT proprietary files.

Have i missed something here? TomTom's own software doesn't create the type of file that it supports? Really?

The only other option I can see to create ITNs is to buy membership of myroute-app.

I'm sure there must be a way that I've missed, so would appreciate any pointers please.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 288 [Supreme Pioneer]
    You can add add a stops in Mydrive.
    Just right click on the point you like to add as stop and select ADD STOP

With the free version of MyRoute App (and Tyre) you can write ITN files. Only you have to use the OpenstreetMap. The TomTom Map is a MyRoute App Gold feature.

And you can always create multiple Tracks.
    -Track Start to Stop1
    -Track Stop1 to Stop2
    -Track Stop2 to Finish
  • FlyingMallardFlyingMallard Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks RoadRider.

I've been adding stops in the way you suggested in Mydrive to force certain directions (for example, to break up long motorway journeys with some twisties) , and I certainly get the ride that I want when I transfer to my satnav, I just don't get to see those stops on the device - because it's a track and not a route, I assume.

i guess the thing that surprises me the most is that TomTom's own mapping system doesn't produce TomTom's proprietary files (ITNs). Instead we consumers need to use a third party mapping system. Doesn't seem right, hence me thinking I'd missed something/misunderstood.

Thanks again.

edited May 27
    TomTom used ITN for the old Riders. You still can use ITN but only on the device zelf.
    When you plan a thrill route on the device it is an ITN route.
    You can use USB and Micro SD cards to transfer ITN routes on the Rider.

With MyDrive they switched to GPX Tracks.
    When you add a stop with Add Stop in MyDrive TomTom uses a trick by adding the same trackpoint multiple times. This way the Rider knows there is a stop and shows a blue icon with Flag on the screen.

If you don't see this flag you probably used de left click Add Stop and not the Right click Add Stop. (or your Riders uses very old firmware)

The best wat to be 100% shure you don't mis a stop split your tracks.
    And if you like to get the fastest route depended on traffic you can use MyPlaces to navigate from start to Stop1 to Stop2 ...

When you want to be 100% you ride the exact track you can use my POI track point overlay method. https://roadrider.jouwweb.nl/gpx-track-2-ov2
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,076 Superusers
    edited May 27
    Hi
    @pauljames140

The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner now uses a 'Send Stops' to send an .ITN Route
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a destination... Or if you add stops it send it as a route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Muti Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer where 'A' IS NOT your present location... The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

For more info See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,076 Superusers
    edited May 27
    Hi
    @RoadRider

I always have very poor results using .GPX Tracks for complex journey's
    Yes it plans a .GPX Track, yes it displays the Stops on the device, but the track fails to visit many of the stops...
    I've just tried using left and right clicking to add stop both give the same result many of the Stops are missed
    The Stops marked in Red, are missed, when you Zoom in the .GPX Track just simply bypasses the cul-de-sac

rl9ezla6v9zp.jpg

mpdu13kbdga8.jpg

bqqkr7pc0119.jpg
    The link below is the Start & Destination of the .GPX Track I was using....
    I'd be interested to see if you could get the 'DEVICE' to visit 20 (The Max the MDW Route planner will Sync) of the cul-de-sac ends in between Start & Destination using a .GPX Track

.ITN easy .GPX No joy ???

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/#mode=routes+viewport=52.40133,-2.26201,16.26,0,-0+routes={"departure":true,"traffic":true,"routeType":"FASTEST","travelMode":"CAR","points":["hw~52.40277,-2.26503~A~10 Pinewood Close, Kidderminster, DY11 5JJ ENG, GBR","hw~52.40307,-2.25812~A~268 Puxton Drive, Kidderminster, DY11 5HT ENG, GBR"],"avoidCriteria":[]}+ver=3

ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan
    I agree with you that one big Track is not a good way to go to a stop and reverse the same road to the next stop. (try a track where you pass the stop this will work)

So, if you for example like to plan an castles route and the main purpose is to go from castle 1 to caste 2 a route is the best way to plan this as one route.

When you plan a tour and you like all drivers (especially multi brand) follow exactly the same route many times you will see differences in the calculated route. Even adding insane amounts of route point will still show differences. (Whith MyRoute App Gold you can see this is by changing route preferences and maps. In real live it is even worse because multiple PND’s also use different version of these maps. For example the latest Garmin Here map is almost always older than the MyRoute App Gold Here map.)
    Using Tracks every one will drive the same track even if they have a different route preferences or a different brand PND as long as the track uses accessible roads and doesn’t have u turns to reverse the same track.

When your route has only a view stops where you actually gone stop you can also split your route in multiple tracks. During the stop you load the next track.
    This way you get the best message you reached your stop (because it is the destination) and solve the u turn problem. And you know everyone drives the same roads.

Adding a stop in MyDrive will place an icon with a flag to show you where the stop is even with a track (TomTom Nav4 and 5 only). An, other way to add an icon at your stop is add them as places. This way it also easy to take a different route preference to your next stop for example when you encounter traffic jams or bad weather.

Even when you ride tracks TomTom doesn’t always follow the exact track because the track will be mapped to the road. Also when you make a mistake and leave the track the Rider will recalculate.
    This is why I created GPXTrack2Poi. This will show the exact tack points as poi’s. You will see that even in your example the poi track overlay will bring you from start to stop1 to stop2 …….

In my opinion Routes are better when the destination is most important.
    And tacks are better when the exact detailed route is most important.
    Adding a POI track overlay will improve this by not only showing TomTom’s interpretation but also the exact track.
    I use my Rider mostly to drive the most beautiful roads so tracks work much better for me. This way it is also easer to skip a part of your route whiteout the need for skipping route point on your PND.
    And when I decide to take an alternative, I create a route in my Rider. (But I have seen more problems with routes like “No route possible” after asking for an alternative route because of a roadblock.)
    In my car I use the Go Mobile app. Destinations and avoiding traffic jams are more important so I don’t use tracks then.