TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Issue updating my Rider 450

KaDargoKaDargo Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
Dear All,

I have a Tomtom Rider 450 on my motorbike.

I tried to perform an update but it does not seem to work:

MyDrive Connect says that I need first to install Nav4 v18.203.0026.311, downloads it on my PC (Windows 7) then gets stuck "verifying" whatever needs to be verified (I would not know)... and when I say stuck I really mean it (like 1 day for instance...)

MyDrive Connect also finds 8G of available memory on my GPS plus 32G on the extra SD car.

BUT, my GPS says otherwise, claiming only 24M available therefore no update possible...

And there is a huge number of preinstalled POIs which I apparently cannot get rid of...

I am sorry to say that the Tomtom support is useless because I simply cannot contact them. The web site has been saying for weeks that something is going wrong with the updates via MyDrive Connect and they are busy fixing it, but so far nothing fixed...

I purchased my Rider last year so it is still under warranty but unfortunately I cannot retrieve the invoice...

But is my GPS defective or is there really something wrong with MyDrive Connect??

Any kind of advice would be most useful before I lose my nerves and throw that thing away ;-)

THANKS in advance!!

Best Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,275 Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @KaDargo

Firstly....
    If you are running Win10 on your PC try the Win10 Troubleshoot to fix a USB port error
    With MyDrive Connect running AND your device plugged in AND turned on
    Press the 'Windows button' + R to open the run command window
    Type "Control Panel" in the Window... Click OK
    The Control panel opens
    Click on the Devices and Printers Icon
    The 'Devices and Printers' window opens

(1)... Right Click on the Tomtom Icon and select “Troubleshoot”
    Or
    (2)...Right Click on the Remote NDIS Compatible Device Icon and select “Troubleshoot”
    Follow the on-screen instructions

If the troubleshooter finds and fixes a USB error

Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Run MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device...

What AntiVirus are you using ???
    Is your AntiVirus or its Firewall blocking MyDrive Connect from connecting to the Tomtom servers

Is the Windows Firewall blocking MyDrive Connect from connecting to the Tomtom servers

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16743/~/how-do-i-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-device%3F

Or Recovery mode.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=SKOo8izV03M

Do not forget to upload all your data to MyDrive first.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,256 Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    HI @KaDargo

Poi files are small. You cannot load a POI file bigger than 2mb. The current camera update file I am about to load is 5.35mb that holds all the camera data for Europe. Just imagine how many that is. You would have to have an enormous amount of POI files and data to use up the space left on a 16GB internal memory with the Op software and Europe map on it.

I have 5 Camping Specific POI files that came with my GO Camper unit plus all the POI files I added. I cannot delete the 5 POI files that came with the unit so I would suspect you can't delete your Swiss ones for the same reason.

Doug

Answers

• KaDargoKaDargo Posts: 23 [Master Explorer]
    Hi, apologies for the duplicates with other posts, but I have already tried pretty much every step described in those posts, unfortunately to no avail...
    edited May 26
    Hi
    @KaDargo

Edit.. See LAURE123 later post she is right... The Rider 450 has 16GB of on-board Memory enough for many Maps... The Rider 450 also has Lifetime World maps

The Full Europe Map size 8.9GB exceeding the on-board Memory size on the 8GB NAV4 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    For the larger Maps like the Full Europe map you need to install a Micro SDHC memory card
    The Map cannot be split across the on-board Memory and a Micro SDHC Card...The latest Full Europe Map is 8.9GB so a 8GB Memory Card is useless a 16GB or 32GB is required (32GB is the Max size Micro SDHC Card for a Tomtom device)

5n7wml10xv8p.jpgt
    The advantage of the small Map on the 8GB NAV4 devices, would be plenty of working space on the device and the smaller map will also act as a 'Keeper'... This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a 16GB or 32GB Micro SDHC memory card
    Also if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running

ATB YFM

I actually do have a 32G Micro SD card installed, so theoretically plenty of space for now...

My current Map is Europe 1020.9285, released in October 2018, and the application is version 18.202.0024.311 released December 5, 2018.

My device has S/N K3177Kxxx and says available internal memory is 0.00B and available space on the SD car is 31.84 G.

This suggests that the previous installation does fit on the internal memory (also includes these stupid preinstalled POIs I cannot remove), but when I look at my places, iti says memory is insufficient, as if the available space on the SD card was completely ignored.

If I try to format the SD card, it says that this operation is impossible as the card is already formatted and ready to accept maps and other TomTom contents...

I have no clue as to how the Tomtom OS is managing the memory, so unable to say if my problems with updating Nav4 is linked to the GPS itself or to MDC...

Something I find particularly poor with this system is that it does not give the user any flexibility to decide how to use this SD card, and I am not convinced that it is itself doing that job properly...

Hope this additional information helps you...

Cheers,
    KaDargo
    Oh, forgot to add this info...

If I want to organise a ride (I have deleted on my previous ones via MyDrive), then I get immediately this error message saying I need more space. When I go into the details of the error message, it says that I have 25.15M of internal memory and that I need at least 400M to be able to import OV2 and GPX files.

It also says that in order to do that, I should remove OV2 and GPX files via MyDrive (that I have done already) or suppress content from the GPS via MyDrive Connect.

1. I have ZERO possibility to do ANYTHING from MyDriveConnect
    2. Again, the extra space available on the SD card seems to be ignored

I really feel like running in circles like a headless chicken...

Last year I have used to my full satisfaction (almost, having been unable to connect it to my Triumph 1200 Trophy), but one reason for purchasing TomTom was the lifetime updates... what good is that if I cannot apply them... that sounds more and more like false publicity to them...

Thanks again for your comments.
    Hi @KaDargo

What make of SD card do you have in your unit.

Doug
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @KaDargo

What make of SD card do you have in your unit.

Doug

Hi Doug,

It is a SanDik Extreme Pro 32G HC I
    edited May 26
    Hi @KaDargo

That should be okay. Some lesser known makes have not worked properly on the Tomtom units.

Have you tried a Soft Reset. on the unit .Ie with the unit on, not connected to anything, hold the ON/OFF button for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound then let button go.

This tidies up the files and so may clear the odd bits out. The fact you can get suggestions you have 0.0mb on the internal memory is a problem.

Doug
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,273 Superuser
    edited May 26
    Hi all

@KaDargo

It's strange what happens to you. :/
    A Rider 450 has 16GB of internal memory, it takes a lot to fill 16GB if you only have the EU map. And you have the subscription for the World maps.

Do you see your microSD card like this in MyDrive Connect (MDC)?
    kw6p8g2z702i.png

With your device Not Connected to the PC, do a Soft Reset as advised by @DougLap and empty MDC cache folder.
    - Close MDC window and right-click the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock.
    ==> choose "Settings" / "Downloads" tab / "Empty download folder" button / "Save settings".
    - Right-click on the MDC icon in the taskbar next to the clock
    ==> Choose "Quit".

You can delete foreign language voices you don't need in MDC.
    In MDC ==> "My content"/ go down in "My Voices" / "Others
    languages" / remove the files one-by-one

Try to install a second map, a small one, like Venezuela (29MB) on your microSD card to unlock the situation. Or on internal memory if your microSD is not recognized by MDC.
    - in MDC ==> open the submenu of the map, in "My content" tab / go down in "My Maps" / click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Install On SD Card".
    Now in the sub menu of the EU map you have the choice "Uninstall".
    - You can choose "Install On Device" this will erase the EU map if there is not enought place. That should allow you to update the NavCore.
    - After that the EU map can be installed on the internal memory if there is enough space available or on the microSD.
    - With a second map you will have the choice of the location.

Only after that try to download the NavCore alone, you uncheck the other files.

I hope you can unlock your updates. Beyond the help of TomTom support will be necessary.

Regards.
    edited May 26
    Hi
    @KaDargo

Original post deleted by YamFazMan

Edit..LAURE123 is right... The Rider 450 has 16GB of on-board Memory enough for many Maps... The Rider 450 also has Lifetime World maps

KaDargo Have you got several Maps installed ???

Maybe the images bellow if you need to force the loading of a Map to On-board Memory or Micro SDHC Memory Card follow the options in the Images below

Click on Image to enlarge....
    44lti23owroh.jpg
    Choose... On-Device or Micro SDHC Card....
    b8nu5fbv935v.png
    Screen grabs from my NAV3 GO 825 Live

ATB YFM

Many thanks for the very detailed info, whoa... great help from you guys...

So, here is an update so far:
    1. I have performed both soft reset and device initialization approximately a zillion times, no change...
    2. before trying the steps you suggested, I had to deinstall and reinstall MDC (again) and to tick off everything about automatic download before I could try your suggestions...
    3. I have tried several times to remove ONE voice file, but even trying a very simple one (less than 1M) took ages until I got the dreaded "Servers overloaded, please try again"
    4. I am currently trying to install a small map on my SD card (40M), the tool has been "preparing" for the last 20 minutes, without anything actually happening...

About the memory...
    As said, I get these error messages on my Rider about low memory...

YES, you are correct, the Rider 450 has 16G on board, out of which (claims MDC) 8050M are available, plus over 30'000 M on the SD card.

Interesting paradox, isn't it?

I have only EUROPE installed, plus many POI (I have acquired my Rider in Switzerland, so I got it loaded with many POIs coming from Germany (Bikerbetten Hotels, Tourenfahrer Museum, Tourenfahrer Endurotracks to name just a few). I have no idea as to how much memory these POIs takes... But this drives me crazy to be unable to delete them. I ride a Triumph Trophy, what do I care about Enduro Tracks :-( ?

And I have an extra 9M taken by Radar Information. All this, as you rightly point out, under lifetime licence...

It has taken a few minutes to write this post and, guess what? The system is still preparing....

I do not know where the TomTom servers are located, just to give me a hint at which time of the day they would be less overloaded...

So, thanks again for your help, I will keep trying and updating you immediately as soon as get some news!!!

Krgds,
    KaDargo
    More than 2.5 hours, still preparing??? Seriously?? For 40M??

I am going to bed now, leaving everything running through the night.... let's see how it looks tomorrow, somehow i have the feeling it will be the same... and still no clue as to where the problem is.... Servers? MDC? Rider?

Good night everyone!
    edited May 26
    Hi @KaDargo

I have asked for some ideas from TT personnel. I have a couple of ideas but want their thoughts before suggesting them. Keep an eye out here.

Doug
    Good morning @DougLap ,

No change this morning, I am starting to suspect an issue with the GPS itself...

Something else occured to me:

If I try to import routes from my PC file explorer onto the GPS, it is impossible because the Rider's 14.4G of memory are full! How does that reconciliate with the info on MDC that says 8085M of free memory (plus of course the SD card).

Is there a way to perform a full factory reset? Because reinitialising the Rider does not remove the map update of October, suggesting this reset is not complete...

Thanks Doug, and I look forward to your feedback!!

Cheers,
    KaDargo
    Hi @KaDargo

Factory rest is one of my ideas but because of the very unusual things you are describing I want to get TT thoughts first.

Am I right in thinking you are trying to import routes via MyDrive not MyDrive Connect?

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

No, in the example I gave above, I started from the notification that appears on the Rider when you connect it to the PC via USB.

This notification says that you can import POIs or routes directly from the PC to the Rider simply by using the Windows explorer. When you click on that note, there is a change of connection mode between the Rider and the PC, and the Rider suddenly becomes visible as a USB device connected to the PC, only it appears as being full, so actually no transfer possible.

Last year, I had planned a 2-weeks ride to Scotland and had been able to transfer the itinerary from Tyre Travel via MyDrive. Likewise, I have been able through MyDrive to completely erase all these routes last week-end, but that did not really impact the memory values reported by either the Rider itself or MDC...

KaDargo
    And btw, if that helps, when I connect to MyDrive via Bluetooth on my mobile, I do get live traffic information, so this part at least seems to work properly...

Also, the the tab Parameters/System/About, it says it was never connected to MyDrive Connect....
    Hi @KaDargo

I have not got a Rider unit and is another reason I have been looking for some confirmation.

I have found the Tomtom Video that shows how to import Routess to your Rider and it is totally different to the car etc units.

TT have confirmed they will look at your situation.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap

OK, most grateful to you and the rest of the gang for your efforts!!

I can't wait to hear what TT has to say :-)

Cheers,
    KaDargo
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,261 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @KaDargo

I asked our 2nd Line team to review this case and according to them there is a problem with space(internal memory) and too many of pending downloads.

They have made some changes in the backend and I would suggest that you clear the cache in MyDrive Connect, perform a soft reset on the RIDER and connect it to the computer.

When the updates are offered for download, install one at a time..

1. NavKit v18,203
    2. Maps
    3. Speed cameras
    4. Voices etc

Regards
    Vikram:)
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
    edited May 27
    HI @KaDargo

Fingers crossed here. =) =)

See @LAURE123's earlier post here where she mentions how to empty the cache

Thank you @VikramK

Doug
    Hi @VikramK

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason for the multiple pending downloads is the multiple attempts to perform the updates ;-)

And whilst I am going to try to your steps, I am skeptical about them because they start with a soft reset which I have done many times, including deleting the MDC cache.

And none of the resets (soft of factory reset) has actually changed anything to the internal memory error.

I will keep you posted of course!

Cheers,
    KaDargo
    edited May 27
    Hi @KaDargo

Tomtom can see a log of what has been happening on our units so they can see if there is anything that is stuck and so blocking progress.

What they have done is sorted out things at their end and your doing a Soft Reset is part of the process to get things lined up so that when you now connect it will hopefully now start acting as it should.

Your doing the Soft Resets before did not make a difference as there would appear to have been a blockage that needed resolution at the Tomtom end of the system. These situations do occur but fortunately not often.

Doug
    Hi Everyone!

Just done the soft reset as suggested, but also removed the additional SD card, just to make sure this one does not get in the way (I had read on a German forum some people reporting update issues linked to the SD card).

One first change on MDC is that now it also reports 0M of memory available on the Rider! So we are at least aligned on this one...

More surprising is that it apparently did not discover (yet) about me removing the SD card...

I had in the meantime reactivated the file download on my PC, this step is now completed, let's see what happens next...
    Hi @VikramK

Another update after 3 hours...

The initial download of the update file onto my PC has been completed within minutes.

Since then, I get the usual message from MDC that is it checking/verifying whatever...

So, as far as I can tell, no change, and I cannot say I am surprised because it really looks as though the Rider simply does not react... same as before. To be honest I did not expect anything different, since, from my point of view, it is just the same steps I have been doing over and over again.

Or am I being too impatient?

Many thanks for your feedback and possible suggestions on the next possibilities...

KaDargo
    hi @VikramK

No change, MDC still "preparing" for the download...

To me, the issue is clearly with the Rider that remains unresponsive, so I think a real hard factory reset can possibly help...

I will leave it online for the rest of the night, if tomorrow (as I suspect) there has been no progress I will disconnect it and come back to you.

Many thanks again for your help!

KaDargo