MyDriveConnect / MyDrive / Favourites problems

ScottWWScottWW Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
I have a Via1525m and running version 4.2.5.3770. The 'About' screen says copyright is 2017 and says "for USA". The main screen says copyright 2015. When I follow a link from your forum for downloading the latest version, it directs me to the GB/Eng version.

I run MyDrive in Firefox browser; I have seen references to a version of MyDrive for Windows but can't find it; I suspect that it no longer exists.

PC is running Windows 7.

My device has a 'Favourites' folder, and MyDrive/My Places has a 'tab' (link) labeled 'Favourites' but the items in the device Favourites folder do no appear in MyDrive/My Places.

Instructions for importing Favourites to MyDrive/My Places say to right-click the MyDriveConnect icon in the Windows taskbar and select Manage Community Content.

There is no ManageCommunityContent option in the right-click menu, and there is no MyDriveConnect icon in the notification area.

What do I need to do in order to get this working? All I want is to have all my saved locations in My Places on both MyDrive and my device. I don't see the purpose of a separate 'favourites' list.

I also want to make sure I have the latest, U.S. versions of MyDriveConnect and MyDrive.

thank you

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,500 Superusers
    edited May 25 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @ScottWW

You can only create MyPlaces either directly on the device or using the MyDrive Web Route planner
    You Load an .Ov2 POI Category Via the MyDrive Web Route planner you can use a POI Category instead of a long list of MyPlaces

I use this method as a workaround for my "_Favorite Catagory"... Your POI Category titles could be anything you choose
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

xckwyzd49rgw.png
    (3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....
    [video]

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead....

Searching a POI Catagory....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)
    Tap on the offered Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg
    You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 75 [Supreme Navigator]
    You need to download MyDrive Connect for Windows as the web version is not the best. Here is the download link: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/2985
    If the answer helped you, like it so that people know that it's helpful.

xwintech
    edited May 23
    Hi
    @ScottWW

The Via 1525M is a NAV4 device...
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/via-1525m/

A NAV 4 device has NO access to Add Community Content (ACC is used for NAV3 Devices)
    Your Via 1525M is Updated using MyDrive Connect... Connected over USB
    USA Link Here...https://us.support.tomtom.com/app/getstarted/p/4590

The installation of Favorites/MyPlaces is Via the MyDrive Web Route Planner... Connected over USB
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

ATB YFM

As a result of previous attempts, there is a Favourites.ov2 on my computer's drive.

In My Drive / My Places, there are selections for Favorites and POI Files. At the bottom of this window is an option to Import POI File. When I follow the steps and select Favourites.ov2, no errors are generated, but My Drive / My Places / Favourites continues to show only Add Home, Add Work, and Add A New Place.

Clicking on My Places / POI Files shows only the filename Favourites.ov2.

Is it not possible to convert all 'Favourites' into Places? If not, how do I work with individual Favourites in My Drive for route planning?

thank you

Ah... I see that I can attach images to these messages. Perhaps this will clarify my question:

fv0itqzt76jp.jpg
    wcyci0rkzx6w.jpg

edited May 23
    Hi
    @ScottWW

Is this the Tomtom Model you have....
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/drive/car/products/via-1525m/

(1)... Are you connected via the Tomtom USB Cable (Not through a Hub or the Tomtom Mount)
    (2)... Is MyDrive Connect running on your PC
    (3)... Are you logged into MyDrive on the device
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Login with User-name & Password

ATB YFM

I ran a test by performing the steps below. Everything appears to be working correctly but I still can't convert Favourites to Places.

thank you for your assistance.

Test:

Uninstalled and reinstalled MyDriveConnect (same version, 4.2.5.3770) and logged in.

Reloaded MyDrive (was automatically directed to full URL https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_us#mode=viewport+viewport=41.77417,-72.69695,15.3,0,-0+ver=3) and logged in.

Turned on VIA1525M and logged into TomTom services.

Added an address to My Places on device - automatically appeared in MyDrive/My Places as expected

Added an address to My Places on MyDrive - automatically appeared in device/My Places as expected

edited May 25 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @ScottWW

You can only create MyPlaces either directly on the device or using the MyDrive Web Route planner
    You Load an .Ov2 POI Category Via the MyDrive Web Route planner you can use a POI Category instead of a long list of MyPlaces

I use this method as a workaround for my "_Favorite Catagory"... Your POI Category titles could be anything you choose
    Create a POI Category with your Favorite places
    Using your PC to build your own MyPlaces (Favorites) Database and load them into your Go
    Download the Free Tyre to Travel Basic..... http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/
    Tyre To Travel uses Google Maps and the large screen on your PC to view the maps, it easier than to scrolling around the screen of your Tomtom GO to find your MyPlaces (Favorites)

(1)..... Run Tyre to Travel
    Wait for Tyre to stop being busy

(2).....Double Click on the Tyre map at the position you would like to create a POI (Favorite) or use the yellow box in Tyre to search for addresses postcodes etc...

(3)….. To prevent double entry's in MyPlaces on the GO, when you are planning POI's (_Favorites), edit the names of your POI's so they each POI has a unique name that means something to you or modify the Name offered by Tyre so it becomes unique
    (3.1)..... When you have finished compiling your list,
    (3.2)….. From the Tyre "File Tab" select "Convert to a TomTom POI File”

xckwyzd49rgw.png
    (3.3)….. From the Tyre "File Tab” Select “Save as" I saved my file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the POI category to the top of the list

Note: Saving a file is the only way I have found to give the file the name you want rather than the default name, it’s also handy to have a backup of your .Ov2 file on your PC

(4.0)..... Use My Drive to load your New Favorites POI Category to your device

Using MyDrive.....
    [video]

You can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead....

Searching a POI Catagory....
    The search engine is excellent you usually only need to type around three characters of the POI name for a hit...
    For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

An example of the generic Icons on the search screen, the Icons are dynamic so the closer you zoom more icons appear

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    ATB YFM

I agree that the POI search feature is very useful - too bad there isn't a similar search for My Places but we can't have everything!

I'm looking forward to trying Tyre - I agree with your point about scrolling around the small GPS screen. Maybe some day someone will invent a port for an external monitor, or a way to cast it to a smart TV.

regards,
    ScottWW
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,574 Superuser
    edited May 24
    Hi @ScottWW

When you tap search you will see 2 columns behind the Keyboard with the Right Column being headed by Home. If you know the name of a favourite and type the first letter then the Right Column will now be headed by the first favourite with that letter. You carry on typing and you will get the favourite at the top and you can tap on it.

At any time you can tap the Blue Keyboard icon and be able to see the 2 columns which you can scroll through.

Doug

Hi
    @ScottWW

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces
    You can search MyPlaces....

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

ATB YFM

Unfortunately there's no 'Search' option from the menu button on my 1525M - the closest options are Drive To and My Places. If I select Favorites from the My Places list or Points of Interest from the Drive To screen, the search functions as you describe.

thanks for the suggestion though
    Hi @ScottWW

If in your Settings you have your Search option set to Step by Step then you will see Drive to when you Tap Menu. If you have your Search option set to Quick Search then you will see Search when you Tap Menu.

Doug
    edited May 25
    Hi
    @ScottWW

If you are using the default & superior 'Quick Search' option
    When you Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Before you start any Search
    On the left-hand side of the Search screen will/should be a list of your recent destinations
    On the right-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your MyPlaces
    Tap the keyboard Icon screen bottom right to toggle the keyboard

I have pixelated my personal info....
    ytqkcwu64gq4.jpg
    ATB YFM

Gentlemen - my Via 1525M does not have any search options in Settings. Is it possible that I have either an older or newer model than the 1525 that you are referring to? On the box, the serial number starts with XR and the model name is 4AA53 - a quick search of the web points to Via 1525. I purchased it this week. Any thoughts? Could TomTom have removed functionality? Could it be missing a software update not listed on MyDriveConnect? Thanks!
    edited May 25
    Hi
    @ScottWW

To help identify your device...What's the first 2 characters of the serial number ???

Also in your profile you havn't stated your location... You mention the US in your original post so I assume its the USA

Can you check....
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Settings --> System --> Choose a search mode... Choose
    Quick search... (The best)
    Or
    Step by step search

As far as I'm aware ONLY the Tomtom Start Range is restricted to the Step by step search

ATB YFM

xwintech
    edited May 25
    Hi @ScottWW

As you are in the USA I think then you have the the following which is called the Start52 in Europe.

Your device is a TomTom VIA 1520 / 1525 M with 8GB memory and it updates through MyDrive Connect.
    Your device is fully supported through phone and email. You can also get help through our user forum and FAQs.

You are quite correct you will not have an option in Settings to choose a Search method as your model only has the Step by Step Search option built in as the Start 52 which in the UK can cause problems with UK Postcodes..

Doug
    edited May 25
    Hi
    @ScottWW

Yes the XR Europe model Start 52 is the equivalent to the US VIA 1520 / 1525 M

Click on image to enlarge
    od0uw99tkj21.jpg
    the Tomtom Start Range is restricted to the Step by Step search

Looks like your best option is to Create/Maintain a Personal 'MyPlaces' .Ov2 POI file
    See previous Post....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1646976/#Comment_1646976

Search Method.... Using the Step by Step search engine
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Drive to --> Point of Interest...
    Choose one of the search options i.e... Near me (Or one of the other search options)
    For example I have the POI Category for the National Trust installed
    Type Nat (Or as much of the word that's required for National Trust to appear at the top of the list)
    Tap the offered National Trust and the Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Type Dud (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list)

fvvl1hj389eu.jpg

o7rx4qycdyey.jpg

j381fa0ut3qg.jpg
    ATB YFM

Thank you all for your consideration in clearing up this mystery. I bought the 1525m as a second GPS for my wife because the interface is similar to my Go 50, which I like very much. For now I plan on manually creating a My Places list for her, but eventually I would like to experiment with the techniques which you have explained.

Pardon these editorial comments, but TomTom's product line is very convoluted and confusing, and unnecessarily so. Additionally, the 1525 is grossly overpriced. As a basic GPS it is very good, but the Garmin that I returned was about the same price and had substantially more features, though it was more difficult to use and had a steeper learning curve. My guess is that because GPS navigation apps are available for smartphones & tablets, the standalone GPS manufacturers have been forced to cut costs. This is a shame because many of us prefer a standalone GPS to a smartphone.

Thanks again,
    ScottWW
    Enfield, Connecticut (located in the northeast corner of the USA)
    Hi
    @ScottWW

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM