How to add POI files to GO5200 wifi — TomTom Community

How to add POI files to GO5200 wifi

Disclaimer: I have searched and found a similar question but clicking on the link I get directed to a page that shows 'Permission Problem'

So as the subject asks, how do I add a POI file to my new GO 5200 wifi ?

I enjoy camping and on my last TomTom device I had a POI for campsites. Now I have a newer device I would like to use the updated POI. The MyDrive Connect app on the PC will not connect to the device and the mobile app is pretty poor in that when I type in the name of the campsite (Shell Island in Wales) it only brings up places in the USA.

Best Answer

• storemanstoreman Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Found a youtube video that explains it by going online on PC then trying to find My Routes then importing from there.

Got to say that the TomTom website is less than intuitive. Even a link in one of their own videos to get to the My Routes page led to an error page and following their own instructions to get to My Routes did not match up with what I saw on the screen.

However, my query is resolved. ......

Answers

• storemanstoreman Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Found a youtube video that explains it by going online on PC then trying to find My Routes then importing from there.

Got to say that the TomTom website is less than intuitive. Even a link in one of their own videos to get to the My Routes page led to an error page and following their own instructions to get to My Routes did not match up with what I saw on the screen.

However, my query is resolved. ......

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,481
    Superusers
    Hi
    @storeman

You need the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Purple Triangle > Motorway Services
    Green Diamond > Archie's Camping & caravan

ajbd9k2tok2u.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • diodeleddiodeled Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    hello YamFazMan,

I just posted on my french tomtom community forum the same issue.
    I used to upload on my old TOMTOM 3 files as follow
    geocaching.ov2
    geocaching.ogg for the sound to have a alert 200 meters before
    geocaching.bmp (low weight to have a logo/icon)

do we have a tweak to do that ? or my 5200 will go back to the shop for refund.
    Kind regards
    diodeled
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,481
    Superusers
    edited August 17
    Hi
    @diodeled
    I'm afraid Its back to the shop :'(
    On the latest NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices
    Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    You can't set a warning sound and obviously you can't set a distance to the POI warning sound that isn't there....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM