Spoken directions for next instruction — TomTom Community

Spoken directions for next instruction

Some of my older devices, and some of the Android nav programs, have the ability to touch a specific part of the screen and have the voice speak the next instruction. This is very useful when the driver is too busy to look at the screen but would like to be prepared in advance for the next turn, etc.

I didn't see a topic for general comments, but here are a few: I have a GO50 and just bought a Via1525m. I exchanged a brand new Garmin Drive 52 for the 1525. I.M.H.O., the TomTom interface designers are top-notch and probably conducted a lot of user testing to make their product intuitive to use; on the other hand, the Garmin had loads of interesting features, but a poorly designed interface. Too many nested menus and inconsistent UI elements.

That being said, I cannot understand why a major corporation such as TomTom has such a sloppy product naming strategy. Even MyDriveConnect can't figure out the right model number when adding a new device. I wonder how much business they have lost to potential customers who are so confused by similar but out-of-sequence model numbers and different feature sets that they give up and buy another brand? It gives the appearance of a company that is seriously disorganized. The frequent problems with MyDriveConnect don't help either.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,079 Superusers
    edited May 22
    Hi
    @ScottWW
    Some of my older devices, and some of the Android nav programs, have the ability to touch a specific part of the screen and have the voice speak the next instruction. This is very useful when the driver is too busy to look at the screen but would like to be prepared in advance for the next turn, etc (Snip)
    Using Voice Control.... If the Last instruction is still live
    Say "Hello Tomtom"
    Device replies "I'm Listening"
    Say "What's the next instruction"

Using List View.... With a route Planned and Displayed....
    Tap the Top Info Bar for the 'List View'
    Tap the 'Back button' to return to the Map view (Back button is screen top left)
    Also, the 'List View' is semi-live... When you are driving, if you tap the top info bar....
    Your present location is at the top of the list
    The 2nd item on the list is your next Instruction

This can also be useful in Town/City When entering the next road, you can alternately tap the 'Top Info Bar' and the (Back button screen top left) to dip in and out of the list

It's not very useful halfway down a long Motorway, but if you dip in and out of the list, it does give the remaining distance to exiting the Motorway

ATB YFM
  • ScottWWScottWW Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thank you very much for the information. The Via 1525 does not have voice control. Regarding the list of instructions, much of the time, if not most, the driver is concentrating on driving and it is not a good idea to start flipping through screens. With the feature that I mentioned, it is only necessary to touch the screen once to have the voice read out the next instruction.

In general, I think the TomTom designers are much more aware than their Garmin counterparts that it is not practical - or safe - for a driver to navigate through menus and screens, choose from lists, etc, while driving.