Map Update via "Update The Easy Way"

"Update The Easy Way" .... what rubbish!
It used to be straightforward when downloading the updates via MyDrive Connect, now it does not allow for anything when the device is connected to the PC.
If that is not frustrating enough, the device now states there is no map on it and fails at 90% to download a map, hence is now "bricked" totally! So after happily working in the car for around 2 years, taking it out to install updates has killed it and caused a great deal of frustration for me.
In summary:
1. The MyDrive Connect application delivers no functionality or value any longer
2. The device is now bricked as a result and is now a paperweight and nothing more
3. 20 years of Loyalty to TomTom and many different devices now goes out the window and the replacement will be an alternative brand for sure!

Staggering!

Answers

• xwintechxwintech Posts: 73 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi, @wilco1 !
    This issue can be fixed by following the instructions in this video

Hope this helps.
    If the answer helped you, like it so that people know that it's helpful.

xwintech
    After doing this steps, try to update the maps on your device.

xwintech
    Also if your TomTom GO 600 has built-in Wi-Fi, you can check out this video

Or if it doesn't, then check out this one

xwintech
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,284 Superusers
    Hi
    @wilco1
    If that is not frustrating enough, the device now states there is no map on it and fails at 90% to download a map, hence is now "bricked" totally (Snip)

If you are refering to the GO 600 in your profile nothing has changed MyDrive works as before....

If you are now using one of the latest NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Device....
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Further to the above information there is one suggestion I would make once you have restored your unit back to normal..

The Tomtom units require a map in order to boot up. In my case it was supplied with Europe as the Map being the region I purchased the unit in. This means there was only one map on the unit and if there is any problem with an update I can finish up with no. map on the unit. This situation is the result of when an update is being loaded onto the unit the old map is removed first, which has always been how the process works. Ie it removes the old map to create space.

I would recommend therefore that you load any small map, in my case I have loaded Venezuela which is only 29mb, , and this will automatically be loaded on the internal memory. Leave the map there untouched and then should the Update of your normal map fail you have a good map on the unit to enable it to be started okay and you can then reinstall the failed map..

Doug
  • PeteBrPeteBr Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Yes I'm having the same trouble. I have the Europe Map, but want to change it for North America. Both are too big, but you can't unload the first, because it leaves you with 'no maps'. On my old TOMTOM60 you could simply load and unload content using you computer, but on GO Essential you are resolutely prevented from doing that. I'll try France..
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,264 Superuser
    edited May 19
    HI @PeteBr

The internal memory of the GO Essential is 16gb If you download the Venezuela map which is only 29mb and leave it alone then you will be able to change the map from Europe to the USA whenever you want. The other option is to get a Micro SD Class 10 memory card either 16gb or Maximum 32gb and then you can load the maps and leave them on the unit.

The basic reason to avoid deleting maps is that without a map the units will not start properly. Problems arise when the maps are lost which can happen during an update if there is a loss of connection or an interruption as once the unit is ready to load the update it deletes the old map to make space available..

Doug