TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

TomTom Rider route type choice setting

Hans1_VHans1_V Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited May 20 in RIDER
When I made a choice for the destination I would like to get a choice from my TomTom Rider what type of route I would like to drive without need to go to "settings" and then "route planning" and pick the type of route there before I start "drive". In the menu it looks like this choice is offerered (ask me so that I can choose) but it doesn't offer this choice. Is my TomTom defect?

Best Answer

• Hans1_VHans1_V Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks YamFazMan, your answer is clear and my TomTom does what it is supposed to do.

Answers

• TigerRiderTigerRider Posts: 57 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hans1_V,
    Chances are that what you've found is yet another example of of my theory that the TomTom guys don't ever get out of the office and actually use the kit they are designing. Certainly, if the did there would not be so many half useful features.

Years back, even though the technology was more limiting I did find that TomToms were generally more joined up. Each new version seems to have more features that don't really add anything useful.

Was always told; "if the job is to improved things DON'T make things worse". I'm still not used to the "Fastest Route" is in the opposite direction via a motorway instead of a short skip through a small town or indeed having to fight through tight back streets to avoid a straight bit, traffic lights and another straight bit.

Yeah. I know not really helpful. Sorry.
  • Hans1_VHans1_V Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The feature that the TomTom always asks what type of route (fastests, shortest,ECo, ...) you want to ride was a present at a former TomTom of mine and looks like it's in the 550 but doesn't seem to work. I wonder if this is at all 550's or just a failure in mine.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,229 Superuser
    Hi @Hans1_V

I don't have a Rider but I am wondering if the option you are looking at is the same as for the car units.

If we select Route Planning in Settings the only time an option to select 'Ask me so I can Choose" is under the heading 'When a Faster Route is available' which is rather faint. So have you not realised that the option is not before you create a route which used to be an option on some of the very early units.

Doug.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,244 Superusers
    edited May 18
    Hi
    @Hans1_V

The Route planning... setting menus...
    The 1st Section of the Route planning Menu Screen applies when you have already planned a route and you are driving the Route
    On the Live Tomtom Devices 'When a faster route become available' the device will....
    Option... (1) = Don't ask me... Always take the Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Always ask me... Before taking the Fastest route
    Option... (3) = Don't Ask me at all... Stick to the planned Route

Route planning screen... Section (1)
    kxgfxxwo4v6x.jpg
    The 2nd Section of the Route planning Menu is the default Route planning type for ALL Route planning
    Option... (1) = Fastest route
    Option... (2) = Shortest route
    Option... (3) = Most eco-friendly route
    Etc... Etc...

Route planning screen... Section (2)
    2xefqogbgcgx.jpg

The earlier Devices required me to enter my Route type every time, but at least 95% of my journeys I would choose the Fastest Route

The earlier NAV2/3 devices are Menu focused
    Asking all of the questions and button pushing at the start... Then device planned the route

The Latest NAV4/5 (Wi-Fi) devices are Map Centric (Tomtom Speak)
    The Route planning has the highest priority (95% of the time I want the Fastest Route... Job Done)
    On the odd occasions I want something different, say I want to 'Avoid Motorways'...
    After the Planning and Calculation of the route
    I Tap the 4Dot (....) Menu --> Current Route --> Change route type... Choose Route Type required 'Like' (Avoid Motorways) the device recalculates the route avoiding Motorways

Note... This change only applies to the current route
    For the next route, the device will default back to the 'Route Type' you have chosen in the Settings menus i.e... For me the 'Fastest route'

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,244 Superusers
    Hi
    @Hans1_V

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > Thumb's Up Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'