Update account — TomTom Community

Update account

I cannot find a way to remove my old device from my account and add my new one. Can someone help please?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,570
    Superuser
    Hi @JohnPud

What are the 2 models involved.

Doug
  • JohnPudJohnPud Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Doug,

Old - XXL
    New - Go Essential

Other parts of the site recognise the Go attached but it's not 'joined-up' enough to add it to my account.
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @JohnPud

The software associated with the GO Essential is MyDrive Connect which can be downloaded form the Tomtom website. It is the equivalent to your TomTom HOME software that you used with the XXL.

When you set up the GO Essential you have input your account details and if you were to open the MyDrive software ypu should see the unit listed there. The difference is that you don't need the MyDrive software unless your Wifi connection is slow and you then attach the Go Essential to a PC with MDC software running but you still use the menus in the Essential to update etc.

So when your Go Essential is connected to your Wifi, if its download speed is good enough, you can do all your updates and etc without the need for a PC.

If you open the MyDrive webpage as below you can log into your account and create routes and send them to your device or save them and sync them to the device for use later on. You can also add any 3rd party POI files or Route files and sync them to your Essential. In effect the MyDrive webpage shows you what MyPlaces, Poi and Route files you have on your unit and in the event that you have to do a factory reset of your device all this data will be synced back to your unit so it is in effect your backup.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb/

Regarding the old XXL maybe we can get @vikram to delete it from your account next week.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info. I had tried MyDrive connect but only got the screen telling me I should use wi-fi. What I didn't realise that it is used as an interface between TomTom and PC, so that's a step forward. However, 'add device' did not add my Go to my account. And 'my products' tells me to visit tomtom.com/getstarted if it's not there, but all I see there is info about it's use, not how to include it in my account. Perhaps the function is not working, like the 'delete old'.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    Hi
    @JohnPud

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi...
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Updating your new NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here.....
    www.tomtom.com/getstarted
    Run MyDrive Connect.....
    Note... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Note... MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar

27bxc59f2s23.png
    ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @JohnPud

Try the following

If you press on the screen for a second or so on a position on the map on your GO Essential you will get a Black Icon with a + in the middle and a menu with Drive at the right hand end. Tap the 3 vertical Dots next to Drive and select Add to my Places.

Whilst the GO Essential is active at home it should automatically connect itself to your Wifi and whilst not connected to your PC try opening the MYDrive webpage below on your PC an log into your account which should be the same as the one you entered on your GO Essential .

https://mydrive.tomtom.com/en_gb

When logged into the the webpage open the MyPlaces icon on the Left and you should see the My Place you ave just created and any others you may have made. If it is there then your GO Essential is logged to your Account. If it is not there leave it for a bit and then try again in case it takes a little while to advise the TT servers of your new MyPlace.

Re the looking into the MyDrive Connect software as refereesd too above when you open it do not have your GO Essential attached to the PC as then you will see what Tomtom units are associated with your account. I see my GO Camper there when I do that.

Doug
    Hi YamFazMan,

I have no trouble connecting my Go to my wi-fi to update. My problem is that I can find no way to update my account info to remove my old XXL and add my new Go.

Hi Doug,

My drive web page shows the places I have added, so it clearly 'talks' to my device. But when I look at my products it shows the XXL and not the Go. :-( More an irritation than a problem.
    Superuser
    Hi @JohnPud

So the unit is clearly talking to your account. There is an option to add a device in MDC have you tied that.

If that does not work then send a Message to @VikramK with the serial number etc and ask if he would be kind enough to add it for you. Click on his name in this post and you will see a Message sign in green in his profile top Left. If you want you could ask him to delete the old unit as well.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @JohnPud

I have removed the previous device from your account, but I don't see the new GO WiFi linked.

Could you send me the serial no. of your GO through a private message and I will see if I can get it linked for you.

Regards
    Vikram