Worth the upgrade from TomTom via 62 to premium X?

Hi all, I have been fairly disappointed in my TomTom via 62, I upgraded when my go 52 died a death whilst I was out and about, the screen brightness is no where near good enough in direct sunlight in comparison to the go 52, the device regularly freezes and I have to reset the device at least once every week to stop it from freezing on me entirely, is the go premium X a good upgrade and is it going to stop or at least improve upon the truely shocking experience of the via 62?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    edited May 14
    Hi
    @Just_Jack2019

Re... Screen Darkness

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    You haven't answered my question in the slightest, it's always plugged in and charging via genuine TomTom cable and charger, I know what the reduced screen brightness looks like, that is not the issue, the screen is just not remotely bright enough when fully turned up, besides, the question was is the premium X a upgrade on the via 62, is the hardware even a remote upgrade as the via 62 performance is shockingly bad? I don't care about using the built in SIM or Bluetooth teathering THAT JS NOT AN UPGRADE! is this device actually faster in any way shape or form?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,799 Superusers
    edited May 14 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @Just_Jack2019

The Via 62 is a NAV4 Device 8GB Memory, Resistive Screen....
    See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/via-62/

The GO Premium X is a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device 16GB Memory > Faster CPU, Capacitive Screen ....

See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/go-premium-x/

The full latest Range....
    See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/products/index.html

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Does the premium X use a glass screen or the plastic type on the via62?