TomTom No GPS Signal 2019

VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,499 TomTom Moderator
edited May 21 in Travel lounge
Hello All,

Since Saturday 6th April 2019 some devices have been having issues getting a GPS signal. The identified root cause for this problem could be the WNRO(Week Number Roll-over) issue which has caused some of our GPS models to not get a GPS position.

Read more about the WNRO on this topic-: https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1108335/gps-week-number-roll-over

If you find that your device does not find a GPS signal it's important that you first check if your device is actually affected by entering the serial number of your device on this website:

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/

If the message states that there is an update available then please connect your device to TomTom HOME or MyDrive Connect to check for updates.

Note: We started rolling out fixes for these since last year so you may already have the latest firmware installed.

Here is a list of previous firmware releases where you can quickly check if you have the latest firmware installed- https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/navkit

FINDING THE SOFTWARE AND MAP VERSION ON YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE

NAV3 devices-

GO LIVE 1000 series, GO LIVE 800 series, Via LIVE series, PRO 5150 TRUCK LIVE, Start series

You should have the latest version 12.075 installed on your device.

Some users may experience that the device does not connect to the satellites even when they have v12.075 installed.

It has been observed that it could take some time for the device to find a GPS.

1. Charge the device for a minimum of 2 hours.
2. Take it outside under the clear sky and do a soft reset(Press and hold the on/off button till you hear the drum sounds)
3. In exceptional cases, it could take anything between 30-45 min to find a valid GPS signal.( Keeping the device in a stationary position outside for a while does help)

Nav2 and Built-in devices updating through TomTom HOME -

ERROR- "You cannot use this map on this device" After the WNRO update-

Please post your concern on the below topic and one of the Moderators will help you get the map reactivated

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1111596/you-cannot-use-this-map-on-this-device-after-update

Rider K4: After 06th of April this Rider model is unexpectedly not showing the correct time and ETA, while navigation is working as normal. We are currently working to see if an update is possible!

Some Nav2 devices, the timer will be reset to 00.00 and the ETA will also not show but the navigation will continue to work as normal.

Out of these, we are investigating if a fix can be rolled out and for some, we may not be able to release a fix.

If you wish to upgrade to a new TomTom then please contact customer service to avail a discount which you are entitled to as an existing customer.

I will be updating this thread as I get more information.

Regards
Vikram :)
Have a question? Ask!
Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.

Comments

• ben81ben81 Posts: 2 [Novice Seeker]
    edited May 14
    Hello,
    I have a TomTom GoLive 1005. It has developed problems - I no longer finds any satellites, unless I do a long reboot (15 seconds drum roll).
    I need to do this every time I start the device.

Any suggestions what might cause this?
    Thanks!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,499 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @ben81

Welcome to the community!

I don't see that you have the latest firmware v12.075 installed on your device.

Could you connect your device to MyDrive Connect and check for updates please?

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    edited May 14
    Hello Vikram,
    I tried to upgrade, but MyDrive connect appears to be hanging in "Getting Ready" on the "downloading items" page. I don't see any traffic.
    Ben
    edited May 14
    Hi @ben81

LIVE Services won't work. Reason- https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/live-sim/

The last time you had an active subscription for LIVE service on your device was on 10th May 2013.

I have asked our 2nd Line team to push the update for your device. Just do a soft reset(Press and hold the on/off button till you hear the drum sounds) and connect your device to MyDrive Connect.

The jobs will get process and the device may reboot.

Regards
    Vikram :)
    Have a question? Ask!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,593 Superuser
    Hi @ben81

Recently a number of people were having problems with the 1005 and as a result the following Topic has been running. Should you experience a problem it may help you to read the following and see how some have resolved their situation.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1032274/go-live-1005-keeps-turning-off-freezing-rebooting#latest

Doug
    Hello Vikram,
    Did the reboot - and reconnect. It appears the new version has now been installed.
    Thanks!
    I will try and run a few tests over the coming days to see its behaviour.

Doug,
    Thanks for the link. It would appear my problem is a different one, but a factory reset may not be a bad idea. I need to check how I can save my waypoints and restore them later.

Ben
  • BikeRNickBikeRNick Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I can understand that it can take a long time to write additional code to cope with the issue but why not just remove some code and disable the time sync with the GPS satelites.

On the device there is an option set the time, why not allow us to do that and then NOT sync with the GPS system, just accept the time we manually entered. That must be a much more simple firmware update, to disable the time synchronisation rather than try and fix the sync.

Then you'll have a lot of happy customers while you work on a more permanent fix.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    I think the clocks have to be in sync, otherwise it would show the wrong location (but I might be wrong on this).
  • IntrepidtravellerIntrepidtraveller Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I tried setting the time
    and date mamually. The GPS then works, but tries to sync and then goes back to 00. Cant seem to switch off sync. Also when you switch off the GPS it goes back to wrong date and time. Seems no easy answer for this.
  • IntrepidtravellerIntrepidtraveller Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Vikram
    Seems I have the same problem with updating.as Ben..havent used live updste since 2013/14. Can you push update for my TomTom Go 185 please? I dont have live services subscription too expensive.
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 154 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @BikeRNick
    That will only solve the arrival time issue. IQ-routes, track recording, auto day/night switch also rely on the date, and there's no menu to enter the date.

@Zsolt
    I think the location is handled by the GPS chip. It will just pass this information to the NavCore.
  • BikeRNickBikeRNick Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    @tiljes so lets get the arrival time thing fixed now, and work on the rest in the background\later.
  • JussiKJussiK Posts: 0 [Novice Seeker]
    edited May 15
    We have two TOMTOM Start 25 car navigators. A few weeks ago, both devices began to lose their satellite connection. Initially work from time to time. Now, the main thing is not working at all. Resetting and return to the factory settings I have got the device to work, but only until the next time it closes. What should I do? I have tried to upgrade, but the TomTom server is congested all the time (! ??)
  • leethommo1901leethommo1901 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited May 15
    my tom tom Start 25 will not connect to GPS, its up to date and Ive tried a reset but still doesn't work.

please help
  • Bluedolphin00Bluedolphin00 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    edited May 15
    I have a fairly old Renault car with Tom Tom built it.
    Since April my car icon has been incorrectly positioned. I have tried to update without success.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thank you
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,593 Superuser
    Hi @leethommo1901

Try this.

Fully charge the unit for at least 2 hours then take the unit outside well away from buildings and trees etc. Now do a Soft Reset ie turn the unit on and when working hold the ON/OFF button down for about 20 seconds until you hear a drumroll sound then let the button go.

When the unit has booted up again now set a route and when it would normally be ready for your to drive off leave it out in the open for as much as 30 minutes to see if it locks own to the Sats.

Has worked for some so worth a try.

Doug
  • tiljestiljes Posts: 154 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    What's the arrival time good for? I can do that little math myself.
    Hi @Intrepidtraveller

Could you send me the serial number of your GO LIVE 825 through a private message, please?

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    edited May 15
    Hi @Bluedolphin00

Welcome to the community!

I would recommend that you do a restore of the device..

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412

I have reactivated the map on your device so just follow the steps under -I have a map to download on my account

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
  • Bluedolphin00Bluedolphin00 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Thank you. Today the car icon is in the right place. Fingers crossed it will stay there.
  • An29neAn29ne Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Because of WNRO my sat nav could not get a GPS signal. After much searching and anguish someone suggested that I uninstall Mydrive Connect on the computer and then reinstall it. I did this and was then able to update the sat nav which now works. No thanks to TomTom which just said it was trying to fix a problem and try again later. 15 May 2019.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,504 Superusers
    Hi

Firstly try Logging OUT of MyDrive Connect (Screen Top Right) then log back in again with your Credentials... Simple but it has worked for many users

On the rare occasions that I have a problem with MyDrive Connect
    I Un-install MyDrive Connect using the Revo Uninstaller (Windows PC )
    There must be a equivalent Deep un-install program for a Mac

Download & install the free version of Revo Uninstaller
    Revo first Un-installs the Program... Then scans and removes all of the left over files a normal Un-install leaves behind
    Here...https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

(1)... Uninstall MyDrive Connect Using the Revo Uninstaller
    (2)... Clear your browsers cache (Optional, but I find it helps)
    (3)... Restart your PC (Not Turn Off & Turn On again)
    Reinstall MyDrive Connnect (Without your device connected)
    Connect & Turn on your device... Login to MyDrive Connect

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Hi @Leeandian

Try the following. Charge the unit for about 2 hours then take it outside well away from Buildings and Trees. Now do a Soft Reset ie Turn the unit on and when it is ready to use Hold the ON?OFF down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. Now when the unit has restarted again create a route and when it is ready leave the unit in the open for as much as 30 minutes to see if it locks onto the sats.

Doug
  • JohnnykickJohnnykick Posts: 0 [New Seeker]
    Receive the error: Cannot use this map on this device: USA_Canda 101487