GO 520 forgets Bluetooth connected phones — TomTom Community

GO 520 forgets Bluetooth connected phones

KeystoneKeystone Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
HI,
We have had problems in the device forgetting a connected phone. I can be en-route and suddenly notice that the 520 is not showing live traffic and when i check the setttings/bluetooth page the phone that was connected is not even shown as ever being connected. This has also happened in the past when traveling back, it has worked fine on the way out. On the return journey there is no phone in the 520 to sync with. Both occasions i have to re-connect the phone via the app and scan the on screen.

520 is up to date.
??

Thanks for any info,.

Answers

• John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 629 [Supreme Pioneer]
    I also have a GO520 &, whilst not getting precisely your symptoms, I do find it a "bit-flaky" on its Bluetooth connection!

It always seems to be a bit of a hit/miss, when I initially connect &, when I ever I make a comfort-break-stop, it often is very awkward about re-connecting - leading to a lot of wasted/frustrated time!

Regards,

John-Jay

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,946 Superuser
    edited May 13
    Hi @Keystone

I think I would do a Reset Device in Settings/System. This will lose all your data, My Places,, Poi and Route files, which should be synced back from your account once you have set the unit up again. If you. look on the MyDrive webpage and log in you should see all the data that that is stored there. Any routes you have created on the unit itself will be lost as they do not sync to your account.

You will have to set the unit up again as you did when first taken out of the box including the Bluetooth connections. Please check and install any updates for your GO unit ensuring if any are a Navcore (software) update that is done first followed by any map update. Please do updates one at a time..

Your maps and current version of the software will not be affected other than maybe a tidy up of the files. Please also forget the bluetooth connection on your phone and start again.

Hope that resolves your problem.

Doug
  • KeystoneKeystone Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes absolutely, we have 2 units one in each vehicle and both are the same. Very flaky in connecting sometimes but when they forget they have ever been connected to a phone and the phone disappears from the list i find amazing. There must be a bug within the unit.
    Thanks DougLap will give that a go. Nothing stored 'place' wise that is needed so can try a reset and see what happens.

Will try and report back.
    Many thanks
    Have reset and reconnected wifi, bluetooth etc etc..
    Will be using tomorrow so will soon find out..

Also just a bit of further info, when the Go520 is connected to wifi and you enter a route, does this take into account live traffic?? I have found if i enter a route directly onto the device it finds the route ok, but if i then enter the same route into mydrive and send to the device, mydrive finds a better (quicker) route.?

Many thanks,
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 2,946 Superuser
    Hi @Keystone

Firstly if the MyDrive web and Apps have different Avoid settings than the GO520 then when you send the Destination or Stops to your unit then it will recalculate in accordance with the GO520 route settings, ie Fastest, Avoid motorways, Tolls etc.

When the route is received by the GO520 even if the Avoid settings etc are identical it will recalculate and if it finds a better route will present that as the route. The only way you can be certain of getting the same route is to save the route as a track and syncing it to your GO520. This however will mean it will seek to follow the route precisely and Traffic will not be considered.

Doug
  • SantaFeTomSantaFeTom Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    This comment is probably not the solution to your problem but it is something to consider. My 620 wifi seems to have a hierarchy of connectivity. If connected to MyDrive Connect, I cannot connect with wifi or bluetooth. If connected with wifi, I cannot pair bluetooth with my phone for data services. It took me a long time to find out why my phone said it was paired with the 620 but the 620 said it was only paired as a generic device, not for data services. I had to turn off wifi and be disconnected from MyDrive Connect and then I could pair it for data services.

I have always found bluetooth to be problematic. My phone and Toyota vehicle regularly need to be re-paired and I don't know why. For my 620 I think it is probably more reliable to turn on my phone hotspot and connect to the phone with wifi instead of bluetooth.

Having said all that, is it possible that your 520 is connecting to some hotspot and dropping its bluetooth data connection?

As far as accessing live traffic, if your phone is out of range of a data connection then you won't have access to that information even if the 520 is connected to the phone.

An alternative to creating a track is to put a lot of stops along your route. That way you can force the 520 to follow the route you want and still use live traffic information from stop to stop.
  • frat1danfrat1dan Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    edited August 31
    I have a GO 620 and I have been having the same issue in that either the connected mobile telephone disappears completely on a very frequent basis or the system seems to go into some sort of Bluetooth connect and immediately disconnect loop.

I am forever having to either Add the telephone or unpair and pair the device. Even between a pairing yesterday and this morning the telephone disappeared.

I am using a HTC U11+ and no other Bluetooth device is having the same problem.

This problem has existed for well over 2 years and TomTom have been unable to provide a solution.

Yes, I have soft reset and hard reset the TomTom many times and have even reset the telephone twice.

And, yes I do have Bluetooth Tethering activated.

I also turn off Hands-free Calls and Smartphone Message as I use the in vehicle system.

That also seems to cause problems and my telephone sometimes shows different settings in that process or won't google on or off sometimes.

All very annoying as I do like the TomTom over other brands I have had. Especially, this wifi feature.

Also, the Desktop MyDrive Connect TomTom keep telling me to use doesn't seem to do anything when the GO 620 is connect. Just tells my I don't need to connect to MyDrive Connect.