Can the app be relied on for warnings of mobile speed camera sites? — TomTom Community

Can the app be relied on for warnings of mobile speed camera sites?

MrDavidMrDavid Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
The app description says "Speed Camera alerts help you save money by avoiding speeding fines, with advanced warnings for fixed, mobile, and average speed cameras". (They mean 'advance', not 'advanced' - there's nothing clever about the warnings, they're just given in advance).

I've only just switched from the iOS app. Tried it for the first time yesterday. It gave correct warnings for all the fixed cameras I passed, both speed and red light, but I got no warnings for the four mobile sites I know to be sometimes in use.

QUESTION: Does the app only give warnings when a mobile site is known to be active or is it simply poor at warning of mobile sites? If the former, how does that help the first user who goes through the site?

Answers

• MrDavidMrDavid Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Sorry . Should have said...Go Mobile app on Android.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    @MrDavid

I have the iPhone App not Android
    For me... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Sounds & Warnings
    Warning type... I use Read aloud warning
    Speed Cam Warnings... All 7 setting to Always
    Safety Warnings ... All 5 setting to Always

I get spoken warning for Mobile Hot-spots etc...

ATB YFM
    Thanks YamFazMan. My setup is just as you suggest. I've also found that average speed zones aren't shown.

I've installed the Speed Cameras app and that DOES show them.

This is weird and I've no idea how to fix it.

pigdrr6yl2tc.jpg

• BrianEBrianE Posts: 492 [Exalted Navigator]
    If it's anything like the speed cameras on my GO6200, it's pretty useless for mobile cameras. I've been using various GO devices on and off for several years and it hasn't once alerted me to an actual mobile speed trap, so I've had to purchase a separate device just for that purpose. Speed cameras is one of the few things that is better on Garmin devices because you can load third party speed cameras, such as the vastly superior pocketgpsworld database. This is one of several improvements that have been requested by customers over many years, but TomTom just ignores its customers. How bad is that?
    BrianE wrote: »
    If it's anything like the speed cameras on my GO6200, it's pretty useless for mobile cameras. I've been using various GO devices on and off for several years and it hasn't once alerted me to an actual mobile speed trap, so I've had to purchase a separate device just for that purpose. Speed cameras is one of the few things that is better on Garmin devices because you can load third party speed cameras, such as the vastly superior pocketgpsworld database. This is one of several improvements that have been requested by customers over many years, but TomTom just ignores its customers. How bad is that?

Thanks Brian. I too have been using the PGPSW database, until now, in my case with the old TomTom iOS app. I added many POIs from PGPSW as well. I've been asking TomTom for the ability to do the same with TT Go Mobile for the last 2-3 years. Like you, I have been ignored. I'd much rather use my phone for nav instead of a dedicated device, but will now look seriously at buying a Garmin PND.