Cannot sync Routes from MyDrive to Tomtom Go 500 — TomTom Community

Cannot sync Routes from MyDrive to Tomtom Go 500

I have created 5 road trips in MyDrive Connect but cannot get any of them to sync to my TomTom Go 500. I select the option "Sync this route as a track with my device", my device has enough space and is connected to the laptop but nothing happens and they don't appear in 'my routes'. Is there something else I have to do ? I have looked at every video and relevant support link I can find but nothing tells me what to do if it doesn't sync.

Best Answers

• Lindsey23Lindsey23 Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi YamFazMan
    yes I had just realised I needed to look at the GO - never even realised there was a TomTom services option. But I have now gone into it and I was not logged into MyDrive (how come my maps have always updated ?). Now logged in and it says it is syncing !! I will update if it solves it !!

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,283 Moderator
    Hi @Lindsey23

Welcome to the community!

Could you do a reset on the device login again (MyDrive Device) and see if the synced routes appear?

Regards
    Vikram
    Having read the comments under the "how to perform a factory reset " video I am a bit nervous. I am happy to have to reselect my favourites but someone has said "never reset to factory settings or every street address you ever previously had on there, will be wiped off and when you return none of those streets will ever appear on there again if you search for them " Is that true ?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,178
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Lindsey23

I have the GO5000 and have always been happy to do a full reset as all my MyPlaces, 3rd Party POI files and Route files have been restored back to my unit after it has been wiped clean and set up again from scratch.

What we need to do is try and find out what is wrong.

Can you advise if you go onto MyDrive and Create a route to a single destination and then select Send destination does your unit receive it okay.

When you say you have created 5 routes and selected sync to your device have you then saved the routes so you can see them listed and can select them in MyDrive.

When you Tap menu is the Cloud Icon top Right Bold ie not greyish. Also if you Tap Menu Then Tap Tomtom Services is MyDrive saying Activated.

Doug
    Hi Douglap
    Then I will try the reset later this morning to see if it helps - although reading other threads I am not sure that TomTom will do what I want - if I don't get the whole route only that stops it doesn't really give me anything.

To answer your questions :-
    1: Yes I have tried just one destination and it did not sync - but I don't have an option to "Send" destination I only have "Sync this route as a track with my device"
    2. Yes I created the 5 routes that are the ones I want over several weeks and they are all available in MyDrive whenever I sign in - all contain multiple destinations and waypoints as I am travelling up the smoky mts, Blue Ridge parkway, via Adirondacks, all round Eastern Canada then back down Maine coast, to Carolinas and Florida. So it is a long trip. I have only tried to sync a couple of the routes but I am guessing if they don't work none of them will.
    3. I don't see Menu or a Cloud icon - but I am new to this so may not be looking in the right places.

I have always previously used the Good Sam Trip Planner to plan routes - but they withdrew it a month ago so I transferred the routes over to MyDrive before hand as an alternative. I have used the TomTom sat nav just never the MyDrive bit to plan routes before. I have written out my whole route and if necessary will enter each step each day manually - I just thought that if it would sync it would save me so much time ! But I don't want to risk my SatNav US map for the sake of the sync as it took me two weeks to update it last month !

Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Lindsey23

Suspect we may have an answer to some of your problems . If you have not yet done a reset of your device please wait until we have tried a couple of other things. Shouldn't matter if you have done it but suspect now the problem is not the GO500

It could well be that the Routes are not syncing because they don't like something about the files you have saved from Good Sam.

The Tap Menu and Look at the Cloud Icon are on your GO 500.

I have flagged @YamFazMan to see if he can come on hear with some ideas as he is well up on this and has more detailed info Thamn me.

Keep an eye out here.

Doug
    Hi Douglap again
    sorry to be so thick - I just realised that the last comment refers to the Go not the MyDrive on the laptop. So the cloud icon is grey and has a white cross bottom right. But I have no idea what this is.
    Accepted Answer
    Hi YamFazMan
    yes I had just realised I needed to look at the GO - never even realised there was a TomTom services option. But I have now gone into it and I was not logged into MyDrive (how come my maps have always updated ?). Now logged in and it says it is syncing !! I will update if it solves it !!
    OK - it was all user error. Once I logged in to MyDrive on the Go as well as on the laptop they sync fine. Many thanks everyone for your help.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,509
    Superusers
    edited May 2019
    Hi
    @Lindsey23

You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    You're not the first to be confused with all the versions of MyDrive
    MyDrive Connect
    MyDrive login on the device
    MyDrive Web Route planner
    MyDrive APP (iPhone & Android)

Maybe usefull... I find Syncing over USB Cable with MyDrive connect running in the background, to be faster & more reliable

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @Lindsey23

MyDrive can be a very useful facility. Firstly it a s a back up for your devices data so if you had to do full reset of your device for any reason then provided you have a data connection you can restore your units data wherever you are.

You can also create routes on it and send them to your unit or save them there and sync them to you units My Routes.

Also if you have a smart phone you can load it on your phone and create routes there and send them to your unit so that when you turn it on and it connects to your account it is ready for the journey.

Click on the categories icon top right of this page and scroll down to the Videos Icon and select. iI has a number of videos that you may find interesting.

Doug
    Superuser
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Lindsey23

Glad you are sorted. As yamfaxman says you are not the first to be confused by the difference between the 2 MyDrives.

All the best.

Doug
    One final comment - although I did get the routes to sync it has not taken the "pretty route" I wanted along the Blue Ridge Parkway - that I created by drag and drop - it has taken the fastest/shortest route each time - so I am going to have to watch for that. Can you make it sync the actual route you want ? This is correct on MyDrive on the laptop, just wrong on the SatNav.
    Hi Douglap
    yet again you are correct. It seems that edits are only saved when I give the file a new name so all my edits to create my "pretty route" were not saved in the file on MyDrive, the first few were, then I had saved in case I lost them then started editing again - all those later edits were not there when I went out and back in again (despite hitting Save). But now I have all of the first one of my 5 routes on my GO - so all is looking good. Thank you so much for your help.