Searching my places — TomTom Community

Searching my places

GrahamRHGrahamRH Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
The search option requires exact names to be typed before it will show results from my places. Is there a way to change this?
For example: If I have a place saved as "Car Mechanic" and I start typing "Mechanic" the saved place will not appear in the list. This would not be too much of a problem, except that the device also does not allow me to search only My Places, instead it requires me to scroll through the list to the name I require.

Thanks and regards,
Graham

Best Answer

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,429
    Superusers
    edited January 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @GrahamRH

I've never had a problem naming MyPlaces so as to assist making the searching of MyPlaces list easier

Maybe if you used Personal POI Categories instead of MyPlaces

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner....
    i.e... the Tomtom Cloud
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    948al3lvjrtz.jpg
    A New Filer Window opens
    Find & Select the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file
    Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Click on the 'Open' Box

wszajd139ty2.jpg
    2nd Click on Copy
    bsndf6o7jzm7.jpg
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

I saved my .Ov2 file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the/any POI category to the top of the list)
    Then I transferred the _Favorites.Ov2 file to the device using the MyDrive Route planner

Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

If required you can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

I added your two Example POIs (using random locations) to an existing POI Category
    Using Quicksearch
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> My Places --> Scroll down the the new Favorites POI category and select
    The Main search area turns blue and Favorites" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required Favorites" site, Type "Mec" (Or as much of the word "Mechanic" that's required for "Car Mechanic" appear at the top of the Favorites list
    Tap on the offerd "Car Mechanic" and select the Drive Icon

bz21a13wgzt0.jpg
    The Same with "Jane's Hair Salon"
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> My Places --> Scroll down the the new Favorites POI category and select
    The Main search area turns blue and Favorites" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required Favorites" site, Type "Sal" (Or as much of the word "Salon" that's required for "Jane's Hair Salon" appear at the top of the Favorites list
    Tap on the offed "Jane's Hair Salon" and select the Drive Icon

lx0qunxz2x91.jpg
    You can of course name your _Favorite folder any name you prefer

ATB YFM

Answers

Superusers
    Hi
    @GrahamRH

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

ATB YFM
  • GrahamRHGrahamRH Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @YamFazMan

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really do appreciate your help, but I don't think that my question was clear enough, and so remains unanswered. I will attempt to clarify:

1. When searching, there is no option to specifically search My Places.

2. The words being searched must be typed in their exact order before one of my saved locations will appear in the search results.
    For example: If I have a place saved as "Car Mechanic" I must start by typing the word "Car" first. If I type "Mechanic" then the saved place, "Car Mechanic" will not be shown. In other words, the search is not alphabetically, letter by letter, starting with the first word, and, as mentioned above, does not allow me to only select results from My Places.

I have tried all options when searching and cannot find an acceptable solution. These are basic features that my previous, entry-level GPS had - the ability to narrow the search to saved locations and to search by any word included in the name. So, if my wife had saved "Jane's Hair Salon" she could search using "Hair" or "Salon" and the result would include "Janes Hair Salon".

Thanks and regards,
    Graham
    Superusers
    edited January 2020 Accepted Answer
    Hi
    @GrahamRH

I've never had a problem naming MyPlaces so as to assist making the searching of MyPlaces list easier

Maybe if you used Personal POI Categories instead of MyPlaces

Many users have asked for the facility to backup their MyPlaces to a PC
    The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner....
    i.e... the Tomtom Cloud
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

The MyDrive Route planner allows you to download your data from the Tomtom Cloud
    3d6xrq52c0wz.png
    The file looks like unusable Gobbledegook, the MyPlaces can be found in the file
    Click on image to enlarge....
    x3keyqdqe377.png

User Ethoz....
    Posted a link to a excellent Tomtom MyPlaces to .Ov2 POI file converter tool
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://chbworld.net/software/tomtompoi.html&prev=search

There's a Mac & PC version ....

Download and install TomtomPOI.exe from the above link
    Note... I have Virus checked the file with Avast Anti Virus all OK
    Run TomtomPOI

Ist Click on Open...
    948al3lvjrtz.jpg
    A New Filer Window opens
    Find & Select the (Your user name goes here)_MyDrive.json.gz file
    Saved from the Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Click on the 'Open' Box

wszajd139ty2.jpg
    2nd Click on Copy
    bsndf6o7jzm7.jpg
    3rd Click on Yes
    5567983e-03cb-46bc-a0f8-c09e5d822af2.png
    4th Click on Yes
    0d841302-e88f-4af0-bb4a-764126dc21d6.png
    5th Click on Save
    a8fe2080-c483-47ce-b413-b1606cd50aba.png
    Name the .Ov2 file & Save to the PC Desktop

I saved my .Ov2 file to the Desktop as "_Favorites (Note "_Favorites.ov2" The Underscore before the "_F" is not displayed on the Tomtom screen, but it forces the/any POI category to the top of the list)
    Then I transferred the _Favorites.Ov2 file to the device using the MyDrive Route planner

Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

If required you can now delete the MyPlaces that aren't required (Saves the MyPlaces blue star screen clutter) and use your New Favorites POI Category instead

I added your two Example POIs (using random locations) to an existing POI Category
    Using Quicksearch
    Continue typing the name of the required Favorites" site, Type "Mec" (Or as much of the word "Mechanic" that's required for "Car Mechanic" appear at the top of the Favorites list
    Tap on the offerd "Car Mechanic" and select the Drive Icon

bz21a13wgzt0.jpg
    The Same with "Jane's Hair Salon"
    Continue typing the name of the required Favorites" site, Type "Sal" (Or as much of the word "Salon" that's required for "Jane's Hair Salon" appear at the top of the Favorites list
    Tap on the offed "Jane's Hair Salon" and select the Drive Icon

lx0qunxz2x91.jpg
    You can of course name your _Favorite folder any name you prefer

ATB YFM
  • GrahamRHGrahamRH Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @YamFazMan

Thanks for your help, this is very useful. Now we just need TomTom to take note and include these functions because many customers will not wish to try such a solution (my wife, for example, who wants to go back to Garmin). I'll give it a go, thanks once again.

Best regards,
    Graham