How do I add external POIs to my Go6200 device? — TomTom Community

How do I add external POIs to my Go6200 device?

Instructions say to do this via MyPlaces in MyDrive app, but my MyDrive app doesn't appear to have any capability to download POI in MyPlaces. Any advice would be welcome, please. Thanks.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,083 Superusers
    edited May 3
    Hi
    @DaveSS

You use the MyDrive Web Route planner
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

See Tomtom Video... How to import POIs, GPX files and Favourites in MyDrive

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out (I guess so you can scroll around a clear Map to find your location)
    The Icon reappear as you zoom back in again

Purple Triangle > Motorway Services
    Green Diamond > Archie's Camping & caravan

ajbd9k2tok2u.jpg
    ATB YFM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,083 Superusers
    Hi
    @DaveSS

Mabe useful Searching a 3rd Party POI....
    You can show the individual POIs of a POI category on the search screen as a list
    You can search for an individual POI within a POI category and show the individual POIs of a POI category on the search screen Map

For example... I have loaded the 3rd party POI's for the National Trust... To show the POI's for "National Trust" on the map, work your way down to option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap (....)4Dot Icon (Screen Bottom left)
    Swipe left or Tap the mid/right edge of the screen to go to and tap the MyPlaces Icon
    Scroll down and select the required POI Category For example "National Trust"
    You now have three options
    The Main search area turns blue and "National Trust" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the name of the required "National Trust" site, Type dud(maston) (Or as much of the word that's required for Dudmaston Hall appear at the top of the National trust list
    Tap on Dudmaston Hall and select the Drive Icon

You also have two further options.....
    After the initial "National Trust" POI selection
    There's a dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

(1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a scrollable list will appear of the "National Trust" sites in distance order

(2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the "National Trust" sites POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail) (Note..... On the Start range its easier to tap the plus and minus buttons to zoom the map screen)
    as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location

There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

The POI Icons are generic and dynamic the Icons change with the zoom level
    If your searching for a 3RD party POI Category say a "Burger King" restaurant, the displayed generic Icons will all be for "Burger King" so using the present system you don't need the "Burger King" Logo

You can of course tap one of the generic Icons to open a quick menu
    With the name of the POI... The option to Drive there
    Plus a 3Dot Quick Menu Icon with further options

ATB YFM
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 326 [Supreme Pioneer]
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    That's one of the most annoying things about the NavKit (PND, Android, and iPhone) current range of products.

10 years ago, I bought a fantastic TomTom PND (950 Live) that did everything that I wanted from a SatNav, especially the support of third-party (aka custom) POIs with .BMP icons in not only the lists but also on the map and navigation driving screens as well.

I don't understand why TomTom dumbs down its products. Unfortunately, TomTom users who haven't used the older TomTom products do not know what functions and features that they're missing!

Regards,