Average pace does not much kilometer splits — TomTom Community

Average pace does not much kilometer splits

TeiTei Posts: 44 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Can someone explain (again) how the average pace of the whole run can be higher than the pace of any kilometer of the run? For instance, this morning my kilometer paces were 6:36 - 7:08, but the pace of the whole run shown in MySports is 7:11. The same applies to the Wednesday's hike: kilometer paces are between 13:27 and 20:00, but the average pace of the whole hike was 22:13.

I have auto pause turned off.

Answers

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,734
    Superusers
    They are using a slightly different data series. The average pace is showing a specially smoothed pace after processing (to get rid of bad GPS points and clean up the data), the slits are the raw values off the watch before processing. Unfortunately, the smoothing can cause the average values to be slightly off. Generally, the average pace is going to be more accurate as it is taking the smoothing into account.
  • TeiTei Posts: 44 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Thanks! But if the average pace is smoothed, shouldn't it be faster pace than the splits? For instance, this morning we stopped several times at traffic lights and water fountains, and the only way I can understand the splits being faster than the average pace, is that times when I stood still are not counted towards the split pace, as if the auto pause were on.

(in the previous post by pace being higher I meant more minutes per kilometer, i.e., slower pace)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,734
    Superusers
    Honestly, with the quality of the software I am not sure there is a good reason why it does not match. There have always been issues, particularly around auto pause (truing it off on your watch does not necessarily turn it off in MySports) and the display of metrics in general. And with TT Sports out of business this is never going to change unfortunately.
  • TeiTei Posts: 44 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have auto pause off both on my watch and in MySport. Turning it on in MySport shows completely different figures: as an example the average pace of this morning's run is now 6:51, but the split times stayed as before. So, I assume auto pause is somehow applied to kilometer split times even if it is turned off :(